"At 9, 'The Champ' came out," he said. "And that's when everything changed in my life." They showed a series of stills from his various projects, including 'Lonesome Dove,' which Schroder credited as a turning point in his career, along with 'NYPD Blue.' "In 'Lonesome Dove' I went from a boy to a man, literally, in the movie" he said.
While 'NYPD Blue' helped Schroder to be taken more seriously as an adult actor, he had the added burden of having to replace the popular Jimmy Smits on the show. "Jimmy Smits was so loved," he said, "and when I got cast as taking over after he left, um, I think a lot of the fans were kind of skeptical, and luckily, I won them over."
Is it just me, or does the phrase "A Sci Fi Original" kind of make you cringe? They use it a lot when promoting the very special Saturday night movies, and let's be honest, a lot of them are really bad. Rick Schroder is hoping to change all that. He's signed on with RHI Entertainment to direct Hellhounds. Scott Elrod gets the starring role. He'll play Kleitos, a Greek warrior, who leads his men in a battle against the hellhounds of Hades in an effort to rescue his bride from the Underworld. It appears they nixed the idea to have S.S. Doomtrooper make a cameo.
The gig makes a lot of sense for Schroder. He's been slowly building up his directing resume with music videos and the feature Black Cloud. He also has a long history with RHI. They were the ones behind Lonesome Dove. I don't know if it's resentment over the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis, or if I have finally just seen one too many bad movies on Sci Fi Saturday, but I have trouble giving this one the benefit of the doubt. The best thing I can say about it at this point is that it sounds like a better idea than Aztec Rex, but then, that's not saying a whole lot. That said, I'll still probalby end up watching it. I just can't look away from Sci Fi Saturday. So here's hoping Schroder can buck the trend.
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations - Collection 3
- BeastMaster - The Complete Collection
- Ben 10 - Season 4
- Charlie and Lola - Vol. 8
- Code Monkeys - Season 1
- Doctor Who - The Time Meddler, Black Orchid, and the Five Doctors 25th Anniversary Collection
- Family Ties - Season 4
- Foyle's War - Set 5
- Get Smart - Season 1
- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe - Vol. 3
- Laredo - Best of Season 2, Part 1
- Lonesome Dove - Collector's Edition
- Masters of Science Fiction - Complete Series
- Robin Hood - Season 1 (Blue-Ray) and Season 2
- Star Trek - Season 2 (Remastered)
- Sunset Tan - Season 1
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Aquarius: Is NBC's Charles Manson Drama Groovy or Gruesome?
- Wayward Pines Recap: Invasion of the Body Snatcher
- Heroes Reborn Adds Covert Affairs Alumna in Enigmatic Role
- Shadowhunters Adds Being Human's Jon Cor as Hodge Starkweather
- Outlander Stars, EP Talk Finale's Tough, 'Tricky' Jamie-Randall Scenes
- More From TVLine
- 'Bachelor' Host Chris Harrison Reacts to Chris & Whitney's Split: It's 'Sad'
- Emilia Clarke Says She Passed on 'Fifty Shades' Because of the 'Huge Amount of Nudity'
- Mariah Carey Slams 'American Idol': 'Worst Experience of My Life'
- Chris Brown Opens Up About Past Bad Behavior: I 'Hated' the Person I Saw in the Mirror
- Rashida Jones' New Doc Investigates How Porn Companies Are Luring Teenage Girls
- More From ET