Around the latter half of the "boom" came Ricki Lake, the formerly obese star of Hairspray (no, seriously, that was basically her résumé), with a show that combined the usual elements of trashy talk (read: "freaks") with something impossibly dumber yet: catchphrases. Unlike today, when it takes weeks to months for squawk-boxes to latch onto cultural buzzwords like "metrosexual" and "baby daddy," Ricki Lake was trotting out episode "subjects" like "You're not all that!" and "Dump that zero and get yourself a hero!"
Naturally, she was a smash.
I guess with a game show it doesn't matter where you film since it's the same set all the time, but are there as many incredibly gorgeous chicks in Connecticut as there are in California? Isn't Cali where they all go to see their dreams of being an actress reduced to standing on a stage next to a briefcase?
Maury Povich and Connie Chung are giving back to their community in Montana by launching an online newspaper, The Flathead Beacon.
It sounds like one of the locations on Lost ("Jack, you have to lead everyone to the flathead beacon or we'll never be rescued!), but The Flathead Beacon is a new daily online newspaper that Povich and Chung have recently launched. It promises to be really focused on life and business in Flathead Valley. In addition to the online edtion, there will be a weekly print edition too.
This all sounds great, especially in this age where newspapers are dying. Let's just hope that Povich doesn't eventually change the newspapers focus to cheating husbands, fights, and paternity tests.
Okay, show of hands from those people who are absolutely, totally surprised that Weekends with Maury and Connie is being canceled by MSNBC. No one, huh? Well, that's because you are a such a smart audience.
In a move that everyone saw coming from several miles away, except perhaps Maury Povich and Connie Chung, the cable news network has canceled the show, which premiered on January 7th of this year to much fanfare. After the premiere, the audience never re-materialized, despite the fact that the show aired twice on both Saturdays and Sundays. In addition, Povich was slapped with a sexual harassment suit from a producer of his syndicated talk show, which probably didn't help his chances of renewal over at MSNBC.
The last Weekends with Maury and Connie will air this upcoming Saturday at 10am. On Sunday, with plenty of free time on his hands, Maury will begin his task of making sure every single man and boy has a DNA test to prove that he is the father of their own child.
American Idol coverage
- Randy's return and Taylor's tics.
- Read some of Randy Jackson's poetry.
- Seacrest was joking about feud with Abdul.
- The night of bad arrangements.
- The initial report of the
- Daniel Baldwin arrested for cocaine possession.
- Michelle Rodriguez chooses jail over community service.
- Michelle Rodriguez is out of jail already.
- A new DA coming for the Law & Order mothership?
- Marlee Matlin joins The L Word.
- Daytime Emmy results.
- Stunt Junkies host arrested at Empire State Building.
- Three more shows renewed by NBC.
- Charlie Sheen sued by someone other than Denise Richards.
- All the Law & Orders renewed for next season.
- Fox picks up Brad Garrett sitcom.
- Kevin Spacey to host SNL season finale.
- Rosie O'Donnell
to replace Meredith Vieira on The View.
- Anderson Cooper to contribute to 60 Minutes.
- ABC sportscaster Keith Jackson retires.
- BSG prequel coming to the SciFi Network.
- Gay playwright upset with Leno's lame gay jokes (I agree... they are pretty lame).
- New TiVos will now let you record two shows at once.
- Victoria's Secret list says that Jay Leno is a hottie. Probably not to gay guys, though.
- J.J. Abrams clears up Star Trek movie rumors.
- Maury Povich sued for
- Adam finds an odd PSA with Jason Priestly and... an eagle?
- Katie Holmes is now... Kate. The world goes on as usual.
- How does Mike O'Malley get to wear a cap in every friggin' role he plays?
- New White House Press Secretary Tony Snow played rock flute... yikes!
- Scrubs transplant story was taken from actual events. Go figure.
- I talk to George Takei about Howard Stern and a new Trek.
- What will a new season of 7th
Heaven look like?
- Annie's favorite Food Network shows.
- Shows Bob really wishes he was into, but he isn't.
- Reasons to NOT
turn off your TV during "TV Turnoff Week".
- Annie loved Stephern Colbert's turn at the White House Correspondents' dinner.
- Anna didn't win the HGTV Dream Home.
- Bob misses Something So Right (so do I).
- I can't stand the fact that PTI ends during SportsCenter.
- Anna likes The Chelsea Handler Show.
- Annie considers the rerun Catch-22.
- SNL: "Best of TV Funhouse"
- The Office: "Drug Testing"
- Survivor: Exile Island: "Perilous Scramble"
- Invasion: "The Son Also Rises"
- American Chopper: "Celebrity Build (Billy Joel)"
- Alias: "There's Only One Sidney Bristow"
- Scrubs: "My Lunch"
- Veronica Mars: "Look Who's Stalking"
- Prison Break: "The Key"
- The West Wing: "Transition"
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Idol' Season 13: Top 6 Performance Rankings
- 'Black Box': Meet the Cast and Premiere Photos
- 'The Blacklist' Episode 20 Photos: Being Framed for Murder
- Best 'Agents of SHIELD' Quotes from 'The Only Light in the Darkness'
- 'Arrow' Recap: Roy Rage and Mirakuru Madness Reach the Point of No Return
- More From BuddyTV
- Nashville: On the Record Recap: We'll Do It Live!
- American Idol Top 6 Performance Recap: Wanna Ya-ah-ah-ah-ah… Yahoo It! [Updated]
- CBS' Thursday Night Football Dates Set: When This Fall Might Big Bang Reclaim Its Time Slot?
- Arrow Recap: A Mother Of a Twist (Times Three)
- Sirens Sneak Peek: Will Johnny and Hank Allow Brian Into 'The Neutral Zone'?
- More From TVLine