September 17, 2014
Measure of a Man
by Julia Ward, posted Jan 26th 2007 8:36PM
Oprah's Book Club is back. Like a phoenix from the ashes of the James Frey debacle, Oprah has returned, and this time she's got a veritable saint by her side in the form of acclaimed actor and activist Sidney Poitier. When your book club's burned by a guy who made a bunch of crap up, what better way to go than with the autobiography of a person who has lived most of his adult life in the public eye. It also doesn't hurt that the guy's golden. Short of some cantankerous ghostwriter coming forward, Poitier and his autobiographical tome The Measure of a Man are beyond criticism. He also lacks any particular literary pretenses so he's not going to pull a Jonathan Franzen, who requested that his book The Corrections be struck from the Winfrey record.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Pilot Scoop: Zach Gilford to Crush on Jennifer Carpenter in USA's Stanistan
- TVLine Items: Gloria Steinem Meets Good Wife, AHS Adds Chloe King & More
- Vampire Diaries Season 6: Dramatic New Poster Pairs Elena With Stefan
- Arrow Season 3 Poster Highlights the Fortified Team Arrow
- Bill Hader Returning to SNL as Host — Will Stefon Be Joining Him?
- More From TVLine
- Did Beyonce Photoshop Her Thigh Gap Again?
- Jennifer Garner's Strict Online Limits: 'I Don't Let My Kids on a Computer Without Me Right There'
- Chris Brown's 7 Most NSFW Lyrics on 'X'
- Ranking All the Looks From The Limited's 'Scandal' Collection From Best to Worst
- Celebs Do 'Lunch' for Charity
- More From ET