October 20, 2014
Measure of a Man
by Julia Ward, posted Jan 26th 2007 8:36PM
Oprah's Book Club is back. Like a phoenix from the ashes of the James Frey debacle, Oprah has returned, and this time she's got a veritable saint by her side in the form of acclaimed actor and activist Sidney Poitier. When your book club's burned by a guy who made a bunch of crap up, what better way to go than with the autobiography of a person who has lived most of his adult life in the public eye. It also doesn't hurt that the guy's golden. Short of some cantankerous ghostwriter coming forward, Poitier and his autobiographical tome The Measure of a Man are beyond criticism. He also lacks any particular literary pretenses so he's not going to pull a Jonathan Franzen, who requested that his book The Corrections be struck from the Winfrey record.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 15 Best Batman Villains from TV and Film
- 'The Walking Dead': 19 Moments of Family, Forgiveness, and Feast from 'Strangers'
- 'Once Upon a Time': 17 Moments of Dating, Darkness and Blackmail from 'The Apprentice'
- FOX Orders Ryan Murphy Comedy-Horror Show 'Scream Queens'
- 'RHONYC': Bethenny Frankel is Officially Returning for Season 7
- More From BuddyTV
- Supernatural EP, Stars Preview When Winchesters Attack! Plus: Cas' Quest
- Once Upon a Time Photos: Emma and Regina Tag Team the Snow Queen
- The Good Wife Photos: Is Diane's Big 'Move' Paying Off? Plus: First Look at David Hyde Pierce
- SNL Promotes Leslie Jones to Castmember (and the Universe Cheers)
- The Flash Recruits General Hospital's Roger Howarth for Recurring Role
- More From TVLine