That's why it made perfect sense when Oxygen's dance-weight loss reality show, 'Dance Your Ass Off,' nabbed curvy host Marissa Jaret Winokur -- who charmed audiences and won a Tony for her role in 'Hairspray' on Broadway, and danced her way to the semi-finals on season 6 of 'Dancing With the Stars' -- for its first season.
It's also why it's so disappointing that they've replaced Winokur with -- gasp! -- a skinnier host for season 2. Despite great ratings for season 1, Oxygen has announced that former Spice Girl and fellow 'DWTS' alum Melanie Brown, a.k.a. Mel B., is replacing Winokur as the show's host.
(S06E16) It was a big night down at DWTS HQ. Not only would the field be set for the big semi-final showdown next week, it was also the show's 100th episode. That milestone meant that many of our favorites from seasons gone by were making their return to the ballroom. In addition, ABC recognized that nothing else they were going to put on tonight was going to measure up to DWTS numbers, so they kicked the whole thing off with a clip-show counting down the judge's ten favorite performances from the first five seasons. That list, and the rest of the results show goings on, after the jump.
They went right to the recap after that. Mark was really happy to be called the little engine that could. Floyd talked about his new experience, calling ballroom dancing better than hip-hop. Mel took the truck driver comment in good stride, asking for the truck driver vote. Jane was left trying to defend the lift again. Jenny ignored that lift nonsense and said she looks forward to continuing to improve. Cameron was excited about his three nines. As you would expect, Sabrina was thrilled to have the first perfect score of the competition.
Things weren't all rosy though. Carrie Ann made it her personal crusade to annoy the crap out of everyone in her new role as the lift police. If you have watched the show over the last couple seasons, it's something that has come up before. And every time, it leaves me wondering just why they have that rule. It's not a competition sanctioned by anyone other than ABC, so that can't be it. To protect the dancers? They let Monique jump 12 feet, backwards, off of the stage. It makes debating whether or not a heel was half an inch off of the stage seem a little silly. I'm actually all for doing away with the rule and getting on with the dancing. Anyway, a rundown of all the performances after the jump.
As we sit now, Helio and Sabrina are way out in front, but it's way too early to call the competition. That pesky little detail called the fan base has a way of wreaking havoc on the best laid plans. Would it rear it's head in week two? So early in the competition? Quite possibly, but we can't be spoiling all of that before the jump. Click the link for all the details from the week two results show.
(S05E04) The stars are back for week two, and it's what I usually find to be one of my favorite weeks. The nerves and the pressure of the unknown are so hard to overcome in that first appearance, that week two is where much ground can be gained based on nothing more than a little confidence. As we would see tonight, that, as much as anything, is what is still holding a few of our stars back. Tom opened the show with a quick recap of last week, reminding everyone that Josie is no longer in the competition. But with eleven couples to dance, there was no time to dawdle, so on with the show.
Today: on TV Squad Daily:
- Melanie Brown loves to talk about her recent ice-cube proposal.
- Drew Barrymore is dating the "I'm a Mac" guy?
- David Schwimmer won't be part of any Friends reunion. And I finally realized what he reminds me of.
The results show has always had to fight the problem that they only have about two minutes of actual results for their 60 minute show. Right now, it's as good as it has ever been. It's always going to be behind the performance show, because the star's performances are what it's all about, but the producers deserve credit for how much work is going into the results show. Enough about that though, we have results to get to.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The Funniest Quotes from 'Big Brother 17' Week 5
- 'The Bachelorette' Where Are They Now?: A Relationship Status Update
- Why 'BoJack Horseman' Is the Best Netflix Original You're Not Watching
- 'Bachelorette' Runner-Up Nick Viall: ' I Think Shawn Really Enjoys My Misfortune'
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: The House Flips and New Targets Emerge
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper Dead at 61: Report
- Kyle Chandler in a Ladies' Locker Room: Behind the Scenes of That FNL PSA
- Lucy Lawless on Xena: Warrior Princess Reboot: 'I'd Love to See it Happen'
- Humans Sneak Peek: A Spooked Karen Confesses Her Secret to Pete
- Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce Adds Abby's Parents in Season 2
- More From TVLine
- Kylie Jenner Squashes Rumors She's Marrying Tyga
- Josh and Anna Duggar Take 1-Week-Old Daughter Out to Dinner -- See the Cute Pic!
- Valerie Harper's Daughter: 'Mom is Very Much Her Lively Self' (UPDATED)
- J.J. Abrams Reveals He Broke His Back Helping Harrison Ford on 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Set
- Whitney Cummings Shows Off 25-Pound Weight Gain in Topless Instagram Photo
- More From ET