"When did you first realize that your beautiful sister loved vajayjay?" she asked. Sara slumped back in her chair and covered her face in embarrassment as Melissa told a few stories about Sara's coming out process. When they were teenagers, Melissa suspected Sara was gay, and took her sister out to dinner to remind her that she could tell her anything. But Sara wasn't ready yet, and told her big sister she wasn't gay.
It's quite a feat for Bateman to have come this far, as the list of former child stars is littered with tales of drug abuse, DUIs, anorexia, obscurity and death. And then there are those who pop up in the news for doing random things, such as Soleil Moon Frye resurrecting Punky Brewster to celebrate her massive Twitter following.
But why dwell on the negative and the bizarre? Here's a list of 10 formerly famous tykes who bucked the odds and emerged from childhood TV stardom -- often after long periods in which they took time off or struggled to find work -- and became famous adults in their own right. We couldn't be more proud.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Some TV firsts: the one-in-25 million, three-way Jeopardy tie, and hardcore porn hosted by Tom Brokaw.
- Reality TV power-couple Rob and Amber were eliminated from The Amazing Race, but promise that their new project is going to blow our minds.
- Little House on the Prairie was cheesy enough without Melissa Gilbert and Patrick Swayze making it into a play.
Little House on the Prairie confounded my young mind on many levels: first of all, I thought the series was an adaptation of the Michael Landon vehicle I Was a Teenage Werewolf, which led me to the erroneous conclusion that all werewolves are farmers. This is not true: most werewolves, like zombies, work in the service industry.
Also, because the show took place in the latter half of the 19th century, I assumed that's when it was filmed, too. It never occurred to me --keep in mind the show began two years before I was born-- that it was a modern show set in the past. I assumed it was a really old show and that anyone involved with it was probably long dead.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time': 20 Horrifying, Heartwarming and Hilarious Moments from 'The New Neverland'
- 'The Amazing Race' Season 23 Highlights: Elephants, Camels and Rams, Oh My!
- 'Homeland' Moments: Brody Shifts Loyalties in 'Big Man in Tehran'
- The 13 Best Comedies of 2013
- [Video] 'The Vampire Diaries' Sneak Peek: Is Death on the Horizon?
- More From BuddyTV
- 'The Great Christmas Light Fight': Houses so decorated they are visible from space
- 'Grimm's' David Giuntoli talks Season 3 midseason finale: 'Who knew Santa had horns?'
- 'Late Night with Seth Meyers' debuts first poster: See the happy photo
- USA sets 'Psych' Season 8 premiere, moves 'Suits' back to Thursdays
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Season 6 trailer: Watch the first look at the new queens
- More From Zap2it
- TVLine Items: Murphy Brown Reunion, Bonnie & Clyde Ratings, Sarah Palin's New Gig and More!
- Community Sneak Peek: Jeff Unexpectedly Finds Himself Back at Greendale as [Spoiler]
- 'Ship Shape: How Your Fave Pairs From Reign, Once, Mindy and Other Shows Are Faring
- Exclusive Sneak Peek: The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Battle Centipede's Next Gen Super-Soldier
- What's on Your TV Wish List for 2014? Speak Up!
- More From TVLine