Reality TV -- with all its challenges, critiques, eliminations and votes -- is bound to create friction between judges and contestants. And after looking back at the year that was, it's clear that Simon Cowell wasn't the only snippy judge in the land of reality-TV competitions. We've found several other examples of testy critics, and their victims aren't always quietly stoic, either. Check out our video playlist of berating judges and cocky competitors. Which judge or contestant do you think was the most out-of-line?
On 'The Tonight Show' (weeknights, 11:35PM ET on NBC), Henderson discussed the feud between Mr. Tonioli and Mr. Bolton. The judge and the contestant have been bickering ever since Michael's dismissal on week two of the dance contest.
"Was Bruno too harsh on him?" asked host Jay Leno. Florence tried to be even-handed in her reply. First, she stood up for Tonioli's actions. "Judges are judges," she said. "You gotta take the criticism." But then, Henderson smirked and said this: "I do think Bruno may have had a little PMS that night." Ouch!
In dismissing Bolton's performance Monday night, judge Bruno Tonioli said the singer had danced "really, really badly," and said he'd offered up "the worst jive in 11 seasons." In an interview on 'Good Morning America,' Bolton called Tonioli's remarks "inappropriate" and "disrespectful" and demanded an apology: "I think he should apologize publicly and be reprimanded for it."
Just don't hold your breath waiting for that apology, Michael. ... As reported by 'People' magazine, the show's producers are backing Tonioli. In a statement Wednesday they said that "Bruno's role as a judge is to give his honest opinions on the quality of the dances he's judging, which is what he did in this case." Ouch.
Keep reading to find out who went home ...
To prove the degree of his fandom, the actor/comedian pulled out a Bolton-esque wig. "I bought this at an auction. I paid $17,000 for this," he joked. "This is his '80s hair, and I have it. I own it now." Kimmel said, "It looks great on ya."
Cook then grabbed a mic. The lights dimmed, the ceiling disco ball began to spin, and he launched into 'How Am I Supposed to Live Without You.' Bolton would be proud.
"You did it all very, very, very badly," Bruno said.
Even Len Goodman -- normally the most critical of the judges -- found Tonioli's comments to be harsh. Still, he said Bolton's performance "probably needed a pooper scooper at the end."
But was it really "the worst" as Bruno called it? Vote in the AOL TV/Access Hollywood poll.
The first night jitters are officially out of the way. Twelve stars and their celebrity pro partners took to the dance floor and performed either a Cha-Cha or a Viennese Waltz on the 'Dancing With the Stars' season 11 opening night show. Actress Jennifer Grey, singer Brandy Norwood and athletes Rick Fox and Kurt Warner performed well -- as expected -- but the surprise of the night was teen actor Kyle Massey, who brought to mind a young Warren Sapp (Kym Johnson's season 7 partner) when he performed a dynamite dance with Lacey Schwimmer.
TV Squad was on the post-show press line to get reactions from all 24 participants. For one unlucky couple, alas, it's their second-to-last interview, because tonight one duo is going home.
'Dancings With the Stars' Season 11 Cast Rumors: David Hasselhoff, Michael Bolton and Kirstie Alley in?
David Hasselhoff, singer Michael Bolton and Ryan O'Neal are the latest stars rumored to be getting their dance on this season. On the sitcom front, we have Kirstie Alley, Florence Henderson and Jennifer Grey.
'Baywatch' star Hasselhoff may be following in his co-star Pamela Anderson's footsteps and go after the mirrorball trophy this season. According to Access Hollywood, the Hoff is ready for his bedazzled closeup.
RadarOnline reports that Bolton may use 'DWTS' as a platform for a major comeback. It's certainly helped other stars regain a place in the spotlight. 'Dancing With the Stars' co-host Brooke Burke even mentioned Bolton as a possible dancer on 'Lopez Tonight.'
"Imagine your child singing the way things should be sung -- the Michael Bolton way," explained the singer in a tongue-in-cheek infomercial.
Even those trite nursery rhymes can sound inspirational with the Bolton treatment. He can show you how. Watch and learn.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Al Gore and his Live Earth concert plans are being questioned and criticized by Live 8 organizer Bob Geldof.
- This makes them my favorite couple of the month: Nicolette Sheridan and Micheal Bolton are moving to the country to raise horses!
Now... who would make an interesting pair? I wouldn't be surprised to see Nicollette Sheridan coupled with her fiance, Michael Bolton. How about Punky Brewster with Cyndi Lauper? And Johnny Fairplay with Macy Gray?
The series debuts August 29th. The celebrity pairs will be eliminated each week by judges and viewer votes.
At least, that's what gossip rag Starpulse is claiming. Apparently the middle-of-the-road crooner thinks he might actually have a fighting chance in the cutthroat world of talk shows, but he's not quite ready to put in the amount of work it takes to create a good show. Bolton claims, "I could do a show where I could look at topics and social issues and have fun, but also do my musical thing at the same time." That's a really great idea, and it's only been done by, well, everybody. Frankly, I don't think Mr. Bolton has the slightest clue what makes a talk show successful, so I'm here to tell him, right now, that making a talk show takes time, love, and tenderness. Also, it's not wise to start a talk show and then end it suddenly, because how are we supposed to live without you, when we've been loving you so long? Okay, I've run out of Michael Bolton lyrical references, so I'll just stop now.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Scandal' Episode 5.4 Photos: Fixing Olivia's Image Problem
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Episode 2.5 Photos: Who Can Asher Trust?
- ?Heroes Reborn?: The 15 Most Exciting Quotes from 'The Needs of the Many'
- 'Project Runway' Season 14: Ranking the Looks of ?Crew?s All In'
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 20 Moments of a Post-Elena Life from the Season 7 Premiere
- More From BuddyTV
- Once Upon a Time: Hook's Dad Is Coming — and a 'Rumbelle' Baby?
- Teen Wolf Season 5B Trailer: Argent Returns, Stiles Fights Scott and More
- New American Gothic Series From Steven Spielberg Ordered at CBS
- TVLine Items: Bradley Cooper Returns to Limitless, Ninja Spinoff and More
- HTGAWM EP on 'Shooting Night' Theories, Annalise/Wes Flirtation, Asher's Secret ('It's Bad')
- More From TVLine
- Nick Gordon Accused of Injecting Bobbi Kristina Brown With 'a Toxic Mixture,' According to New Court Doc Allegations
- Demi Lovato Fights Michelle Rodriguez in New Music Video for 'Confident'
- Fetty Wap Cancels Tour Dates, Gives Health Update After Motorcycle Accident
- Natalie Dormer Has a Very Classy Response When Asked About Looking Like Kermit the Frog's New Girlfriend
- 'Friday Night Lights' Star Zach Gilford and Wife, Kiele Sanchez, Suffer Late-Term Miscarriage
- More From ET