Why? Well, for a few reasons. Portraying a character on a weekly basis can present a new challenge to these veteran silver screen stars, but let's not forget that young Hollywood actors in tween-targeted films are dominating the box office. These Oscar-winning actors aren't giving up films, but their star power and names alone are big enough to attract an audience to a TV show.
Many Oscar-winners and nominees have left their mark on both screens -- just look at Sally Field. She's won an Oscar for 'Norma Rae' and Emmys for 'Sybil,' 'ER' and 'Brothers & Sisters.'
Maybe the Oscars of these latest stars got lonely on the mantle and the next logical thought would be: Why not add an Emmy sister?
Check out the list of actors who are coming to TV -- including Sissy Spacek and Dustin Hoffman -- after the jump.
But Dustin is giving TV another shot. Dustin Hoffman will star in 'Luck,' David Milch's new series for HBO. Michael Mann has also signed up to direct the pilot, and Dennis Farina and John Ortiz have been cast as well. That's a boat-load of talent and a good indication that HBO is high on the project. Presumably, Hoffman, Milch, Mann and company don't come cheap. Milch's previous work for HBO includes 'Deadwood' and 'John in Cincinatti.'
According to the Live Feed, HBO has given a pilot order to 'Luck,' a new drama series about the world of horse racing and gambling. Milch, who has already written two series for HBO (the critically-acclaimed 'Deadwood' and the, uh, not-so-critically-acclaimed 'John From Cincinnati') will write the pilot, with Mann on tap to direct.
Prior to his success with HBO, Milch also served as executive producer on the 2008 'Last of the Ninth' cop drama pilot. In addition, Milch has won a combined four Emmy awards, including wins for his work on the hit series 'NYPD Blue' and 'Hill Street Blues.'
Personally, I think that the big screen Miami Vice movie was ruined the day they decided, "hey, let's make a big screen Miami Vice movie!" But Slate is reporting that there was a lot of trouble on the set of the film. Not only was there a real shooting while on location in the Dominican Republic, but people are saying that Jamie Foxx (he plays Tubbs) came with an entourage and was acting like a diva on the set, and that only increased after he won the Academy Award for Ray. He demanded, and got, a pay raise, while Colin Farrell (he plays Crockett) got a pay cut, and asked that the ending be changed.
I hope the movie blows. Seriously, how can they remake Miami Vice without the music, the clothing, the neon, the pastels, the whole Miami Vice vibe that made it cool in the first place? Outrageous action scenes? Explosions? Deafening rap music? This isn't Miami Vice, it's just another modern buddy action pic. The trailer doesn't make the movie look too promising.
And to think that Michael Mann, the creator of the show, directed this. Hey, I'll hold off complete judgement til the movie is released (actually, the DVD), but advance buzz is incredibly bad.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Scandal' Episode 5.4 Photos: Fixing Olivia's Image Problem
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Episode 2.5 Photos: Who Can Asher Trust?
- ?Heroes Reborn?: The 15 Most Exciting Quotes from 'The Needs of the Many'
- 'Project Runway' Season 14: Ranking the Looks of ?Crew?s All In'
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 20 Moments of a Post-Elena Life from the Season 7 Premiere
- More From BuddyTV
- Once Upon a Time: Hook's Dad Is Coming — and a 'Rumbelle' Baby?
- Teen Wolf Season 5B Trailer: Argent Returns, Stiles Fights Scott and More
- New American Gothic Series From Steven Spielberg Ordered at CBS
- TVLine Items: Bradley Cooper Returns to Limitless, Ninja Spinoff and More
- HTGAWM EP on 'Shooting Night' Theories, Annalise/Wes Flirtation, Asher's Secret ('It's Bad')
- More From TVLine
- Demi Lovato Fights Michelle Rodriguez in New Music Video for 'Confident'
- Fetty Wap Cancels Tour Dates, Gives Health Update After Motorcycle Accident
- 'Friday Night Lights' Star Zach Gilford and Wife, Kiele Sanchez, Suffer Late-Term Miscarriage
- More From ET