Tareq sat down with Matt Lauer for an emotional, uncomfortable 'Today' (weekdays, 9AM ET on NBC) interview. Lauer pressed Salahi about why he didn't see this coming. "You recently went to a Journey concert, went backstage, took video of it," Lauer said. "I considered Neal a best friend ..." Tareq responded, "I'm betrayed in my view, by not just my wife, but also by Neal."
Kotb reported that Tareq had reported his wife missing to the FBI, and then called TMZ. "What kind of a person calls the FBI and then TMZ?" Gifford asked. Kotb then mentioned the TMZ report that had Michaele running off with Schon. "Apparently, TMZ said she's been dating him for a while," said Kotb. "Allegedly!" Gifford added.
First, there were fears for Michaele's safety after Tareq reported her missing Wednesday. He told TMZ that he feared she'd been kidnapped when she didn't come home Tuesday night after contacting him via a series of strange phone calls.
The pair have become famous for their headline-grabbing antics, but in an interview with NBC Tareq denied it was all a publicity stunt: "I swear to God ... this is not a joke." He said he'd gone to the police because his wife had received numerous threats.
However, Michaele has turned up safe and sound in Tennessee ... having apparently run off with a rock star.
They are said to have "crashed" the White House state dinner on Nov. 24.
They have gone on 'The Today Show' to deny they're crashers, yet haven't produced one of those much-sought-after embossed invitations.
They have appeared in photos with Pres. Obama, White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and Vice President Biden.
They have sent the Secret Service into a frenzy regarding the President's security -- and soon, Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-MS), chair of the House Homeland Security Committee, will interrogate them before Congress.
What's their deal, exactly?
The Salahis, who are aspiring reality-TV stars from Northern Virginia, said they are "saddened' and "shocked" by the way they've been portrayed by the media. "We've been mischaracterized through the media and other paparazzi forums," Tareq Salahi said. "Our homes have been invaded ... Our lives have been destroyed."
Watch the video after the jump.
The everyday world is filled with strange and bizarre occurrences that are a thousand times more original -- and entertaining -- than a lot of what Hollywood is churning out these days, from a hopeful reality TV star crashing a White House dinner to a seven-day search in the woods for an engagement ring that fell from a hot air balloon.
Here are 10 news headlines from November 2009 that would make great TV movies, complete with our ideal casts. Don't be surprised if you see some of these show up on Lifetime, Hallmark or even HBO sometime in the near future.
Here's a headline that doesn't surprise us: The Virginia couple who crashed a high-profile White House dinner on Tuesday has a reality TV connection.
Michaele and Tareq Salahi, who will probably enter the gatecrasher hall of fame for their Pennsylvania Avenue adventure, are candidates to appear on Bravo's upcoming 'The Real Housewives of D.C.,' according to a report in the Wall Street Journal. Furthermore, camera crews for Half Yard Productions, which produces 'Housewives' for Bravo, filmed the couple preparing for the dinner but didn't follow them into the White House.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 16' Week 4: Cody's HoH Photos
- 15 Reasons to Attend Comic-Con with the Gang from 'The Big Bang Theory'
- 'Pretty Little Liars': 17 Moments of Drinking, Spying and Kissing from 'The Silence of E. Lamb'
- Casting Bits: de Rossi on 'Scandal,' Fairley on 'Resurrection' and More
- 'The Bachelorette' Family Blogs: Andi on the Audience Admirer, Closure and the Lie Detector Results
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: CSI: Cyber Adds 'Fat Neil,' Top Model Moves and More
- Resurrection Casts Michelle Fairley as [Spoiler]'s 'Returned' Mother
- Scandal Books Portia de Rossi for a 'Top-Secret Arc'
- Sneak Peek: Can Last Comic's Nikki Roast Gilbert Gottfried to a Crisp?
- ABC's black-ish Makes Bold (Fashion) Statement in Key Art — First Look
- More From TVLine
- Ariana Grande Loses Grandpa, Tweets Sweet Things About Him
- 8 Disney Characters You Forgot Were Voiced by Famous Stars
- 17 Times Lady Gaga Worshipped Her Little Monsters at the artRAVE
- Naya Rivera Marries Ryan Dorsey In Surprise Wedding
- The Rock Explains What Was In His '90s Throwback Fanny Pack
- More From ET