Mark Halperin, Time Magazine editor-at-large and MSNBC correspondent, has been suspended indefinitely by MSNBC after saying live on 'Morning Joe' (6AM, weekdays on MSNBC) that President Obama acted like "kind of a dick" in his Tuesday press conference. Immediately taken aback by Halperin's language, Joe Scarborough scrambled to ask his producers if they could put the comment on 7-second-delay, but they were unsuccessful in doing so.
Several minutes later, Halperin issued an on-air apology to the President and to viewers.
MSNBC released a statement after the incident explaining Halperin's suspension.
But in yet another "closing the barn door" move, MSNBC has decided to put a seven-second delay on the show, mainly in response to the f-bomb. And guess who was instrumental in influencing that decision? The fun folks at the Parents' Television Council, that's who! They wrote a note to NBCU chief executive Jeff Zucker calling for the delay, and voilà! Delay instituted. The next time I need to collect a check, I should ask the PTC to make the call for me. They seem to get pretty quick results.
For months and months of the primaries, Joe and the Morning Joe team were in the thick of it every morning ... and then Joe was gone.
Well, the reason for Scarborough's absence is due to a family illness. In May, Joe's wife Susan gave birth to their son Jack. Unfortunately, Jack wasn't due to arrive until August. He was severely premature, weighing just 2 lbs., 3 oz. He had to be kept at the hospital in an incubator and fattened up. As of this Monday, his weight was up to 4 lbs., 10 oz. and the doctors declared he was ready to go home.
Morning Joe regulars Willie Geist and Mika Brzezinski went on the air Tuesday with the story and assured viewers that Joe will be back on camera soon. I wish the Scarboroughs well and hope baby Jack continues to thrive.
MSNBC anchor Mika Brzezinski came really close to flipping out on air the other day when her producers kept placing the Paris Hilton story as her lead during the Morning Joe show. She was egged on/patronized by Joe Scarborough and his preppy-looking sidekick.
As you'll see in the video I placed after the jump, Mika starts out really pissed off and then starts to stage a coup on air.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Flash' Episode 18 Photos: Felicity and the Atom Visit Central City
- 'Better Call Saul': 11 Foreshadowing Moments to 'Breaking Bad' You Probably Missed
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.18 Photos: Charlie Finds the Book of the Dead
- The 11 Best Moments from 'Comedy Central's Roast of Justin Bieber'
- 'The Following': 15 Creepy Moments from 'Reunion'
- More From BuddyTV
- Bloodline Renewed for Season 2
- Mysteries of Laura: Police Academy's Steve Guttenberg to the Rescue?
- Charlotte Ross On Her Warm Arrow Welcome ('I've Never Seen Anything Like It'), Helping Felicity Choose
- House of Lies Renewed for Season 5
- American Idol: Advice, Caveats and Dream Set Lists for the Season 14 Top 9
- More From TVLine
- Paul Blart Gets 'Fast and Furious' in New Parody Video!
- Daytime Emmy Awards: ET and 'The Talk' Celebrate Their Nominations!
- EXCLUSIVE: Zayn Malik's So-Called Solo Track Is Actually an Old One Direction Demo
- Comedy Central Defends New 'Daily Show' Host Trevor Noah: Don't Judge Him By His Tweets
- Michelle Williams on Girl Talk With Beyonce and Kelly, and Which Pop Reunion She Wants to See
- More From ET