Mark Halperin, Time Magazine editor-at-large and MSNBC correspondent, has been suspended indefinitely by MSNBC after saying live on 'Morning Joe' (6AM, weekdays on MSNBC) that President Obama acted like "kind of a dick" in his Tuesday press conference. Immediately taken aback by Halperin's language, Joe Scarborough scrambled to ask his producers if they could put the comment on 7-second-delay, but they were unsuccessful in doing so.
Several minutes later, Halperin issued an on-air apology to the President and to viewers.
MSNBC released a statement after the incident explaining Halperin's suspension.
But in yet another "closing the barn door" move, MSNBC has decided to put a seven-second delay on the show, mainly in response to the f-bomb. And guess who was instrumental in influencing that decision? The fun folks at the Parents' Television Council, that's who! They wrote a note to NBCU chief executive Jeff Zucker calling for the delay, and voilà! Delay instituted. The next time I need to collect a check, I should ask the PTC to make the call for me. They seem to get pretty quick results.
For months and months of the primaries, Joe and the Morning Joe team were in the thick of it every morning ... and then Joe was gone.
Well, the reason for Scarborough's absence is due to a family illness. In May, Joe's wife Susan gave birth to their son Jack. Unfortunately, Jack wasn't due to arrive until August. He was severely premature, weighing just 2 lbs., 3 oz. He had to be kept at the hospital in an incubator and fattened up. As of this Monday, his weight was up to 4 lbs., 10 oz. and the doctors declared he was ready to go home.
Morning Joe regulars Willie Geist and Mika Brzezinski went on the air Tuesday with the story and assured viewers that Joe will be back on camera soon. I wish the Scarboroughs well and hope baby Jack continues to thrive.
MSNBC anchor Mika Brzezinski came really close to flipping out on air the other day when her producers kept placing the Paris Hilton story as her lead during the Morning Joe show. She was egged on/patronized by Joe Scarborough and his preppy-looking sidekick.
As you'll see in the video I placed after the jump, Mika starts out really pissed off and then starts to stage a coup on air.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TV's 25 Sexiest Women of the New Fall 2014 Season
- 'Under the Dome': 17 Shocking Moments from 'The Fall'
- Death Watch 2014: What Will Be the First New Fall Show to Get Cancelled?
- 'America's Next Top Model' Recap: Party String and a Cold Shower Spell Trouble
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: What Will Scott Become?
- More From BuddyTV
- Ratings: Dome Hits Low, Ninja Ticks Up, Mistresses Down Vs. Previous Finale
- TVLine Items: General Hospital Recasts Jason, OITNB Star Is Faking It & More
- The Walking Dead Season 5 Poster Declares: 'Hunt or Be Hunted'
- Fall TV Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 Returning Favorites!
- Grey's Anatomy Video: Shonda Rhimes Reflects on Show's No. 1 Love Story
- More From TVLine
- Justin Bieber Arrested During ATV Date With Selena Gomez, Charged With Assault
- Britney Spears Puts Cheating Ex on Blast During Las Vegas Show
- CeeLo Green Deletes Twitter Account After Rape Tweet
- Exclusive Duggar Clip: Jill & Derek Visit Cancer-Stricken Mom on '19 Kids'
- Supermodels Unite! Cara Delevingne and Kate Moss Team Up for Burberry
- More From ET