Everybody in television has to start at the bottom, even the Muppets.
Jim Henson's Muppets got their big break in the 1950s as two spokesmuppets for the Wilkins Coffee Company in a series of eight-second commercials featuring the most ballsy commercial concept of all time: buy Wilkins Coffee or we will shoot you in the face.
I'd like to see Billy Mays take on that concept.
It's that festive time of year when children put tinsel on the television antennas and hang mistletoe over their favorite DVDs. Where celebrities check into rehab to spend the holidays with all their celebrity friends. And where the rest of America is invited to corporate non-specific, non-religious, non-alcoholic generic winter holiday luncheons where they can mingle with their co-workers and say things like "Remember when this company used to have real Christmas parties?"
But while political correctness may have ruined most holiday functions, nothing can ruin Festivus! That magical season in which TV Squadders hope and pray for televisions dreams come true. And I know just what I want...
Okay, now that we've covered the best bands on television, it's time to put our focus on those bands that, while maybe not "real," still had us tapping our feet, shaking our hips, and waving our hands in the air, almost, dare I say, as if we didn't care. Below are five that spring to mind, but I'm sure you guys can come up with a ton of others. Let's strike up the band, shall we?
Dr. Teeth and the The Electric Mayhem: Okay, let me see if I got this right. Floyd Pepper was the bass player, Janice was the guitarist, Zoot played saxophone, Animal played drums, and Dr. Teeth sang and played piano. I think that was the lineup of this insane band that "played" the opening and closing music on The Muppet Show, not to mention all their great performances during the show. I wonder how many current drummers got into it because of Animal? I'll bet quite a few.
While this amounts to a kind of "he said, she said" thing and no official announcement has been made, Muppet News Flash is reporting that the second season of The Muppet Show should be out this summer on DVD. The new set is being delayed for the usual reasons, such as legal clearances, restoration, and gathering footage for supplemental features. I guess the bottom line is, it will get here when it gets here, and it'll be worth the wait. The first season of the popular show has sold exceptionally well, so hopefully we'll continue to see more.
Wow, it seems like only yesterday that Kermit was...well, actually, to be honest, I never gave a second thought about what his "age" "really" "was." He's just green felt controlled by someone else's hands and I never really thought he was any age. But he turns 50 next month, and he gives an interview to the AP about hitting the half century mark and also plugs the new Muppet Show DVDs.
He doesn't get into any of his past adventures, like that affair with Liza Minnelli or his stay in rehab, but he does mention having exotic strippers at his party. LeBlanc, are you listening?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 12: Top 18 Performance Rankings
- The Final Rose: Kaitlyn and Shawn's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- Best 'Pretty Little Liars' Quotes from 'FrAmed'
- 'MasterChef' Interview: Prowling the Kitchen with Stephen Lee
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 11 Finale Photos: Kaitlyn Says Yes!
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Supergirl Villain Cast, Finding Carter Return Date and More
- John Legend Replaces Kanye West as Underground's Music Supervisor
- Trevor Noah on His 'Slightly Different' Daily Show and the 'Immense Pressure' to Make Jon Stewart Proud
- Unauthorized Full House Story: First Clip Pits 'Stamos' Against the Twins
- Jason Sudeikis Fronts Semi-Animated Fox Pilot From Lego Movie Duo
- More From TVLine
- 'Queen of Versailles' Star Victoria Siegel's Autopsy Shows She Died of Methadone and Sertraline Toxicity
- Nick Viall Talks 'Bachelorette' Breakup: 'Shawn Really Enjoys My Misfortune'
- Dentist Who Killed Cecil the Lion Apologizes to His Patients
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch Austin Steal a Kiss From Liz on 'Big Brother'
- Shakira Teaches Her Adorable 6-Month-Old Son Sasha How to Play Soccer
- More From ET