My Favorite Martian
Our favorite channel during the dinner hour is TV Land. In our neck of the woods, Hogan's Heroes airs from 6 to 7 p.m., and The Andy Griffith Show from 7 to 8 p.m. We love both these shows, and the episodes always spark laughter and a few discussion topics. Like, how could Colonel Klink be such a dimwit, and why can't more people be like Andy Taylor?
But we might have to start watching the Discovery or History channels or - gasp! - turn the TV off altogether, because the commercials on TV Land are making us gag on our organic mac-and-cheese. I'm talking about the commercials for TV Land's reality shows, High School Reunion and The Cougar.
Allison Waldman: When Sex & the City ended, you didn't want to do the movie. Now it's done and it's a huge success.
Kim Cattrall: It's extraordinary. I look back four years ago when this was a runaway idea, I just did not feel ready to do it. We had reached such a high point, I wasn't sure I had anything else to say. I also had incredible personal challenges. My marriage was coming apart, also, my dad was diagnosed with dementia. I really needed a time out.
AW: How did the movie come back around?
KC: Michael Patrick King called and said, 'I'm writing something and I think you're going to love it. ...I think you were right to say no when you did because of whatever reasons you had.' See, I had never been public about my reasons I felt that it was nobody's business.
Right away this list from Burbia.com of the 12 Top TV shows based around the suburbs doesn't make any sense. Sorry, any show that doesn't include The Dick Van Dyke Show just doesn't know what it's talking about. It was the show that epitomized the suburbs in the early 60s, but it doesn't even get a mention on this list.
Instead we get recent shows like The Sopranos, Weeds, and The Simpsons. They might even be good choices, but whenever a list leaves out a show that is so obvious the entire thing becomes suspect. They did include some classic shows on the list, including Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman (and some that didn't make the list but are mentioned anyway, like Mr. Ed), but I have to ask: since when is Milwaukee (Happy Days) a suburb? Wasn't My Favorite Martian set in L.A.? And I wouldn't really call Beverly Hills (The Beverly Hillbillies) a suburb either.
What other shows should have been on this list?
- At 8, CBS repeats the Tom Selleck TV movie Jesse Stone: Night Passage. I wonder why this never became a regular series?
- Food Network has a new Emeril Live at 8, followed by Scoop, which has contestants trying to come up with a new ice cream flavor.
- There's a new Suite Life of Zack & Cody on Disney at 8, followed by new episodes of Cory in the House and The Emperor's New School.
- At 9, Cartoon Network has a new Naruto, then new episodes of Fantastic Four, Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo, and One Piece.
- Have you ever seen My Favorite Martian? It's on American Life at 9.
- Also at 9: IFC has The Cooler, with William H. Macy and Maria Bello.
- At 10, BBC America has a new Graham Norton Show, with Alice Cooper.
Check your local TV listings for more.
A roundup of TV people from in front of the camera and behind the scenes who have passed away.
- Shirl Conway: She was one of the leads in the 60s series The Nurses (she played head nurse Liz Thorpe). She also appeared in episodes of Route 66, Caesar's Hour, The Defenders, and other shows and movies. She died earlier this month at age 90. (That's her on the right in the pic.)
DMGI has distribution rights for over 4,000 hours of video content, including classic television shows such as Gumby, I Spy, and My Favorite Martian. It's not clear at the moment which programs would be made available.
DMGI will share advertising revenue generated by the videos with YouTube. The deal also allows YouTube users to include some of the music DMGI publishes in user-generated videos. YouTube says it will use filtering technology to determine if users are making videos with unauthorized DMGI content, and any revenue generated from those videos will be directed to the company.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'High Sparrow'
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.20 Photos: Will Klaus Make a Deal with Dahlia?
- 'Revenge' Recap: Death Doesn't Stop Victoria from Trying to Bring Down Amanda
- 'The Good Wife' Recap: Is Alicia Ready to Start Over?
- 'Mad Men' Recap: Is This the End of Sterling Cooper?
- More From BuddyTV