Wondering where Erica Kane, Marlena Evans and Katherine Chancellor were on TV Squad's recent list of the 100 Most Memorable Female TV Characters?
Frankly, there just wasn't enough room for all of them. The unforgettable divas, leading ladies, matriarchs and ingénues that have graced the soaps for more than 50 years are so plentiful that they deserve their own list!
We could easily have compiled a list of 100 women from soap operas, but this one has been limited to 15. Those selected represent characters from ABC, CBS and NBC daytime dramas, including current serials and canceled favorites.
Are your favorites on this list? Who else should have been included? Let us know!
In fact, Helen Wagner was daytime marvel. She was on 'As the World Turns' when it premiered on April 2, 1956, and continued in the role of Nancy Hughes ever since. She's in the Guinness Book of World Records for the longest run by an actor in a television show.
Wagner has played the character of Nancy Hughes on As The World Turns since this show's debut on April 2, 1956. She is now 87 years old. Just think of all the TV shows where an actor might play the role for a year or three or five or ten. Take that, David Caruso!
Wagner uttered the very first line in As The World Turns: "Good morning, dear. What would you like for breakfast?" (His answer: "Your head on a plate, you selfish bitch!" I'm kidding, I'm kidding.) She is also the actress in that famous ATWT scene that was interrupted by Walter Cronkite breaking in to the soap and telling the world that JFK had been shot (they did the show live back then).
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Best Funeral Ever': Funeral planners or celebrity impersonators?
- 'Arrow' midseason finale video: Oliver faces 'Three Ghosts'
- NBC planning another live musical after 'Sound of Music' success
- 'The Voice' live blog: The Top 5 take the stage for the semi-finals
- 'The Sing-Off' Season 4: Meet Element, the girl-powered all-female group
- More From Zap2it
- The Voice Season 5 Semifinal Performance Recap: Keep Calm and 'Carry On'
- Sleepy Hollow: More Corbin? Suspect Sin Eater? An Ichabbie Weekend? And More Burning Qs
- TVLine Items: Murphy Brown Reunion, Bonnie & Clyde Ratings, Sarah Palin's New Gig and More!
- Community Sneak Peek: Jeff Unexpectedly Finds Himself Back at Greendale as [Spoiler]
- 'Ship Shape: How Your Fave Pairs From Reign, Once, Mindy and Other Shows Are Faring
- More From TVLine