I'm always amazed at how people haven't learned from TV history. Back in the early eighties, everyone and his mother was saying that comedy was dead, mainly because of then-cutting-edge dramas like Hill Street Blues were dominating the air, while the best in comedy that the networks could come up was crap like Pink Lady and Jeff. Then The Cosby Show, Cheers, Family Ties, and Night Court came around, and all of a sudden comedy was back.
So it's not a big surprise that comedy is making a big comeback a quarter-century later. Times are tough, and people want to laugh. It also helps that on a few networks (NBC, of course), low ratings and little inventory have given shows like The Office and 30 Rock a chance to find and grow an audience. The seeds sewn by those shows have grown in a major way, as three of the four networks now have successful comedy lineups.
Rather surprising news coming from our friends over at TMZ.com: Alec Baldwin has told his bosses at NBC that he wants to be let out of his 30 Rock contract.
The news actually came during an appearance on ABC's The View (which seems to be the epicenter of all TV-related and celeb news these days). Baldwin pre-taped the interview today, which focused a lot on his recent problems with a phone call, and it will air this Friday morning.
No word on whether or not the recent controversy involving Baldwin is the reason why he wants to be let go from the show or whether he just wants to "pursue other opportunities," as they say, but the next few weeks should be interesting. Baldwin is one of the big draws on 30 Rock.
Update: NBC says no to Baldwin's request (though I guess that doesn't mean he can't leave when his contract is up).
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from the Season 4 Winter Finale
- 'Castle' Episode 7.8 Photos: Esposito is Taken Hostage
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Episode 7.12 Photos: More Truths are Revealed
- 'Bones' Recap: Can Baby Seeley Heal The Jeffersonian?
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.8 Photos: The Flash Comes to Starling City
- More From BuddyTV
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Country Star Ty Herndon Comes Out as Gay
- American Music Awards Preview: Is There a Booty Ban?
- 'Parenthood' Cast Talks Final Season, Will Joel and Julia Finally Reconcile?
- Taylor Swift and Harry Styles Spotted Out Together!
- Ranking All of the Men of Shondaland: 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Scandal' & 'How to Get Away With Murder'
- More From ET