I'm always amazed at how people haven't learned from TV history. Back in the early eighties, everyone and his mother was saying that comedy was dead, mainly because of then-cutting-edge dramas like Hill Street Blues were dominating the air, while the best in comedy that the networks could come up was crap like Pink Lady and Jeff. Then The Cosby Show, Cheers, Family Ties, and Night Court came around, and all of a sudden comedy was back.
So it's not a big surprise that comedy is making a big comeback a quarter-century later. Times are tough, and people want to laugh. It also helps that on a few networks (NBC, of course), low ratings and little inventory have given shows like The Office and 30 Rock a chance to find and grow an audience. The seeds sewn by those shows have grown in a major way, as three of the four networks now have successful comedy lineups.
Rather surprising news coming from our friends over at TMZ.com: Alec Baldwin has told his bosses at NBC that he wants to be let out of his 30 Rock contract.
The news actually came during an appearance on ABC's The View (which seems to be the epicenter of all TV-related and celeb news these days). Baldwin pre-taped the interview today, which focused a lot on his recent problems with a phone call, and it will air this Friday morning.
No word on whether or not the recent controversy involving Baldwin is the reason why he wants to be let go from the show or whether he just wants to "pursue other opportunities," as they say, but the next few weeks should be interesting. Baldwin is one of the big draws on 30 Rock.
Update: NBC says no to Baldwin's request (though I guess that doesn't mean he can't leave when his contract is up).
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Meet 'The Voice' Season 8 Advisers
- Meet the Contestants of 'Hell's Kitchen' Season 14
- [Video] 'RHOA' Star Kenya Moore Speaks Out About Phaedra Parks' Infidelity Rumors on 'WWHL'
- 'The Following' Season 3 Premiere: 19 Moments from Joy to Misery in 'New Blood'
- Former 'Bachelorette' Star Andi Dorfman Spotted with Ex Nick Viall, Addresses Dating Rumors
- More From BuddyTV
- Syfy Sets Dates for Bitten Season 2, Lost Girl's Farewell Run and More
- Man Seeking Woman Renewed for Season 2 at FXX
- Pilot News: Wonder Years' Fred Savage Is Rob Lowe's Bro in Fox's The Grinder
- You're the Worst's Aya Cash Teases Season 2, Her Serpentine Sirens Stint
- Ratings: The Following Returns Steady, Gotham and The Voice Slip, Molly Rises
- More From TVLine
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Glee' Sneak Peek: The Warblers Will 'Rise' Thanks to Darren Criss' Song!
- Lily James' 'Cinderella' Waistline: Corset or CGI?
- Is This the Hottest Hilary Duff Has Ever Looked?
- Jon Stewart Kicks WWE's Seth Rollins Where It Hurts!
- EXCLUSIVE: Why Is 'Outlander' Star Caitriona Balfe Still 'Intimidated' by Claire? Her Surprising Answer!
- More From ET