The marketing for this show has been relentless, and that's an understatement. It's easier to shake the SARS virus in a back alley chicken hut in downtown Hong Kong than it is to shake an ad for The Cougar.
One of my personal rules (number one is "thou who smelt it, dealt it") is the harder the advertising, the worse a show is bound to be. TV Land hasn't just aired a commercial for The Cougar every five seconds in between their few remaining watchable shows. They air it on other networks. They plaster ads all over the Internet. If the economy dips any lower, they'll probably start tattooing ads to people's foreheads.
This is just weird. Didn't The CW get the memo that lesbians kissing in primetime are hot? It's gay men kissing that are supposed to get the patriarchy all nervous. I guess when they figured out that it was the 52 year-old, Symbionese Liberation Army kidnap victim Hearst getting down Sappho-style and not uber-hot Kristin Bell they freaked. It just doesn't have the same sweeps promo potential as "Veronica macks on Mac."
When the spokeswoman says "a few days," she means a few days of production; because up to five episodes can be taped a day, that means the guest hosts might host in one-week blocks. No real word on who the celebrities are or when their episodes will air. Judging by Vieira's taping schedule, in which the entire season will be completed by December, those weeks could air anywhere.
Think Regis might show up? I wouldn't mind seeing him in his old chair for a week.
The Bravo reality show Tabloid Wars hasn't been doing too stellar in the Mondays at 9pm time slot, so the network is moving the show to 7pm for the final few episodes.
I haven't seen one minute of this show, which is surprising to me, since if there's one reality show I thought I'd be interested in would be one that centered around news or journalism. But I think the overdose of reality shows we experience in general might make viewers not want to watch even the shows they might really like.
This guy, however, live blogs the episodes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Originals': The 16 Most Memorable Moments from 'Every Mother's Son'
- 'Castle': 23 Times Kids Stole the Show in 'Child's Play'
- 'Sleepy Hollow': 16 Moments of Ichabod's Love Life and Hawley's Help from 'The Weeping Lady'
- 'Scandal' Casts 'BSG' Star as Abby's Ex-Husband
- 'Forever' Interview: EP on 'Big Game-Changing Moments,' Seeing the Anonymous Caller and More
- More From BuddyTV
- Pilot Scoop: Christian Slater to Headline USA Crime Drama Mr. Robot
- Ratings: Millers Steady, Jane Eyes Uptick, Voice, Castle and Blacklist Slip
- Sleepy Hollow Pics: Abbie Is More Armed Than Usual, Ichabod Votes
- Scandal Casts Battlestar Vet as [Spoiler]'s Abusive Ex-Husband
- Trailer: New Series Finds Eugene Levy, Catherine O'Hara Up Schitt's Creek
- More From TVLine
- Renee Zellweger Is Now Completely Unrecognizable
- Matthew McConaughey Defends His Romantic Comedies
- A Glowing Kate Middleton Steps Out for the First Time Since Announcing Second Pregnancy
- Jennifer Garner and Rachel Zoe Team Up for Breast Cancer Fundraiser
- Derick and Jill Duggar Dillard Reveal the Sex of Their Baby
- More From ET