The marketing for this show has been relentless, and that's an understatement. It's easier to shake the SARS virus in a back alley chicken hut in downtown Hong Kong than it is to shake an ad for The Cougar.
One of my personal rules (number one is "thou who smelt it, dealt it") is the harder the advertising, the worse a show is bound to be. TV Land hasn't just aired a commercial for The Cougar every five seconds in between their few remaining watchable shows. They air it on other networks. They plaster ads all over the Internet. If the economy dips any lower, they'll probably start tattooing ads to people's foreheads.
This is just weird. Didn't The CW get the memo that lesbians kissing in primetime are hot? It's gay men kissing that are supposed to get the patriarchy all nervous. I guess when they figured out that it was the 52 year-old, Symbionese Liberation Army kidnap victim Hearst getting down Sappho-style and not uber-hot Kristin Bell they freaked. It just doesn't have the same sweeps promo potential as "Veronica macks on Mac."
When the spokeswoman says "a few days," she means a few days of production; because up to five episodes can be taped a day, that means the guest hosts might host in one-week blocks. No real word on who the celebrities are or when their episodes will air. Judging by Vieira's taping schedule, in which the entire season will be completed by December, those weeks could air anywhere.
Think Regis might show up? I wouldn't mind seeing him in his old chair for a week.
The Bravo reality show Tabloid Wars hasn't been doing too stellar in the Mondays at 9pm time slot, so the network is moving the show to 7pm for the final few episodes.
I haven't seen one minute of this show, which is surprising to me, since if there's one reality show I thought I'd be interested in would be one that centered around news or journalism. But I think the overdose of reality shows we experience in general might make viewers not want to watch even the shows they might really like.
This guy, however, live blogs the episodes.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 37 Most Talked-About Moments of 2013
- The CW Mid-Season Schedule: 'Hart of Dixie,' 'Tomorrow People' Move, 'Beauty and the Beast' on Hiatus
- 'Survivor' Renewed for Two More Seasons
- 'Arrow' Interview: EPs on Barry's Profound Effect on Oliver, How Malcolm's Return Affects Thea, Roy's Dark Path and Much More
- Exclusive Interview: Tim Gunn Talks 'Project Runway,' Favorite Guest Judge and More
- More From BuddyTV
- 'The X Factor': Jeff Gutt and Kelly Rowland on the emotional 'Hallelujah'
- 'Hart of Dixie' spoilers: Lemon's return date (with Robert Buckley?), plus a Roaring '20s photo
- 'Game of Thrones' Golden Globes snub: Season 3 deserved nominations
- 'Psych': Celebrate the musical with the best GIFs of Shawn and Gus
- 'The Sing-Off': Meet the impressive high schoolers of Vocal Rush
- More From Zap2it
- Community Trailer 'Rings' in Season 5 With Britta Worship, Donald Glover In-Jokes, Walton Goggins
- Pilot News: Showtime Excommunicates Kyle Chandler's The Vatican
- The CW's Midseason Plan: Star-Crossed Monday, Beast's Spring Break, New Slots for Three Shows
- Ratings: Modern Family Rises, Sing-Off Drops
- Orphan Black's Tatiana Maslany Talks 'Shocking' Golden Globe Nomination, Previews Season 2
- More From TVLine