More of our best of the decade coverage, which started on Tuesday. You can read the other posts at the link above. We finish up the series by talking about some of the news events that defined the decade, and how TV covered them.
It seems odd to call the news events of the 00's a "best" list. As we started the 21st century, America seemed to have a different tragedy happening at every twist and turn. There was the Year 2000 bug followed by 9/11 followed by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan followed by Hurricane Katrina followed by the worst recession since the Great Depression. We've also had various celebrity deaths recently including the iconic and controversial Michael Jackson.
The tragedies of the decade were accompanied by revolutionary change. America elected its first African-American President. New forms of media such as social networking arose like a phoenix from the ashes of the old media.
The decade was filled with many ups and downs, possibly more downs. The full repercussions of the events won't likely be acknowledged or analyzed for years or decades to come. Wherever we end up, it will have been one hell of a ride.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Phineas and Ferb Clip: Terry O'Quinn Is a Man in Black in Lost-Themed Episode
- Girl Meets World Sneak Peek: Photos from Rider Strong's Directorial Debut
- You're the Worst Finale Post Mortem: EP Talks Gretchen's Major Move, Downplays Lindsay's Big D
- Satisfaction Finale Post Mortem: EP Addresses Cliffhanger Concerns, Reveals Ideas for Season 2
- Rush Finale Recap: Very Bad Medicine
- More From TVLine
- Kendra Wilkinson Can't Stop Crying In New 'Kendra On Top' Teaser
- Seth Rogen Hired as Personal Blunt Roller?
- Scout and Talullah Willis Share a Naked Bath Together
- Best 'Braveheart' William Wallace Tweets About Scotland's Decision to Stay with U.K.
- First Look at Lifetime's 'Aaliyah' Movie
- More From ET