We all know the real reason entertainers appear on television's plethora of talk shows: to plug their new films, shows, books and albums. So it's always refreshing when stars break outside the usual confines of the standard interview and give us something different -- whether it's a wacky anecdote, a bizarre ensemble or a shamelessly humiliating performance. Check out our collection of oddball celebrity appearances from the past year, which features all sorts of bizarre hilarity from Christoper Walken, Steve Carell, Nicholas Cage and others, and be sure to vote for your favorite moment in our poll below.
Cage admitted to George Lopez that his teenage self was a "disaster" with women. Exhibit A: prom night. His date was a "gorgeous" girl from across the street. So he spent money from his grandma on a tux, a limo and a nice restaurant for the date -- so far, so good.
"The mistake I made was I had a Three Musketeers bar and a glass of champagne. And then we went out dancing, and I started to feel a little sick to my stomach."
He took her home and gave her a goodnight kiss. "Then she kissed me back, and there was an incredible feeling. And then I started to get really nauseous. And so I said, 'Excuse me,' and I turned around and I just threw up all over the hall of her apartment building." The bad luck only continued from there.
"No, not beer, but I do remember having a bag of mushrooms in my refrigerator," Cage answered. "My cat used to sneak into the refrigerator and he would steal the mushrooms ... He ate them voraciously, he just loved them. It was like catnip to him."
So Cage took some too. "I remember lying in my bed for hours, and Louis [the cat] was on the desk across from the bed for hours -- staring at each other ... And I had no doubt that he was my brother."
Andy Samberg's Nic Cage impression never fails to make us laugh out loud. He sounds just like him, especially when he goes into his 'National Treasure' schtick.
Watch the video after the jump.
In this clip, Travolta provides a quick impression of Cage asking singer Barbra Streisand out on a date.
Watch the video after the jump.
I heard that Taylor Swift was nervous about hosting 'Saturday Night Live,' but you'd never know it in her opening segment. In fact, she Taylorized the monologue by turning it into a song about all those nasty tabloid headlines about her.
The dreamy songstress managed to make all that stuff sound, well, dreamy in her 'Monologue Song (La La La),' covering "douchebags who cheat on me," "Joe, that guy who broke up with me on the phone," and "that werewolf from 'Twilight'." She even took a little jab at Kanye.
Is this a good or a bad thing? Cage can be uniquely awesome in some roles but alienating in other roles.
|Yes, he'll be great!||100 (28.4%)|
|No, he'll ruin it!||173 (49.1%)|
|What the heck is The Green Hornet?||79 (22.4%)|
I actually wouldn't be surprised if the story is true. Cage has a string of diverse projects in his past, everything from producing The Life of David Gale (a death penalty opponent) to voicing a part in the animated family movie, The Ant Bully. And, of course, there's his National Treasure movies, which I love.
According to the Earth Times story, Cage will lose six kilograms to play the part of Sadat (which, if the conversion site I looked at is true, comes to about 13 lbs.) before he starts shooting the series. It also notes that he'll be paid $40 million. Wow, that's some serious cash.
I'm going to file this under "Rumor" for now, since none of the major outlets appear to have anything on it, but some of the more gossipy sites are reporting the same story that actor Nicolas Cage is considering the role of Thomas Sullivan Magnum, IV in an upcoming film version of the popular '80s dramedy Magnum P.I. Tom Selleck, of course, played Magnum in the original series, and has said in several interviews he wanted to play the character in the film version.
Some have argued Selleck's too old to play the part, and that's true, he is too old to play a young Magnum, but with "senior citizens" such as Bruce Willis and Harrison Ford coming back to play roles from their more youthful days, I don't think Selleck returning as an older, seasoned Magnum is a terrible idea for a feature film.
- At 8pm, FOX has a repeat of Bones, followed by a repeat of House.
- ABC has repeats of According To Jim, Rodney, and Boston Legal.
- Also at 8, CBS has a repeat of NCIS, followed by The 28th Annual Kennedy Center Honors, with Tony Bennett, Robert Redford, Tina Turner, Suzanne Farrell, and Julie Harris.
- There's a new Fear Factor on NBC at 8, followed by repeat eps of My Name Is Earl, The Office, and Law and Order: SVU.
- The WB has repeats of Gilmore Girls and Supernatural, while UPN is has the film All About The Benjamins.
- TBS has two funny repeats of Friends, starting at 8.
- ABC Family has Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas In July. It's on at 8 too.
- Emeril tries some "Cooking With Champagne" on the Food Network at 8.
- At 9, Spike has one of the better Roger Moore 007 outings, For Your Eyes Only.
- Also at 9, HBO2 has Adam Sandler in Spanglish.
- At 10, A&E has two repeats of Airline, while TNT has a repeat of The Closer.
- AMC has Honeymoon in Vegas at 10, with Nicolas Cage.
- Also at 10, E! has a new ep of Gastineau Girls, followed by the special Big Buzz Gone Bad, which focuses on pop culture trends that went bad.
- At 11, BBC America has Monty Python's Flying Circus, followed by two eps of Coupling.
- Also at 11, Style Network has a new Isaac, with guests Selma Blair, Roger Bart, and Kimberley Locke.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- ?So You Think You Can Dance? Season 11: Top 16 Performance Rankings
- 'America's Got Talent' Recap: Next Stop...Radio City Music Hall!
- 'Graceland' Recap: Paige Goes Through Hell
- 'Suits' Recap: Harvey (Sort of) Breaks a Sweat
- 'Extant' Recap: Spilling Secrets, Covert Experiments, and a Mysterious Party Crasher
- More From BuddyTV
- Ratings: Fresh Talent Boosts Taxi, Big Brother and SYTYCD Rise, Extant Falls
- Can TV's S.H.I.E.L.D. Not Reassemble Until the May 2015 Avengers Sequel?
- Extant Recap: Crappy Birthday to You
- Mircea Monroe, Aimee Garcia Join Michael Rosenbaum in TV Land Pilot
- Dominion's Roxanne McKee Teases Big Changes: 'Claire's Innocence Is Lost'
- More From TVLine
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal In the Works After 'Cabaret' Outburst
- EXCLUSIVE: Kelsey Grammer's Wife Kayte Gives Birth to Their Second Child
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey': Watch the Super Sexy First Trailer Now!
- Jake Gyllenhaal Is SUPER Creepy In New 'Nightcrawler' Trailer
- Justin Bieber Teases 11 New Songs On Instagram
- More From ET