Before they hit the "viralsphere" with Lasagna Cat, the production team and creative geniuses behind Fatal Farm created an incredibly twisted, brilliantly subversive, and unarguably hilarious series of "alternative intros" parodying the openings to classic sitcoms. No two intros follow the same theme or formula, except to say that they're all unequivocally... Messed. Up.
From blood and guts to go-carts and the hinting of pedophilia, each parody brings with it an innate ability to eviscerate any leftover nostalgia from the sight of, say, the Happy Days jukebox or the beginning chords of the theme to Cheers. (Believe us, you'll never think of Rhea Perlman the same way again.)
Strap in, sit back, and take an incredibly disturbing trip down Memory Lane, courtesy of your friendly tour guides at Fatal Farm:
But in TV land, the sisters were doin' it for themselves and finally getting respect as cops, war nurses and working moms; iconic shows like 'Hill Street Blues,' 'St. Elsewhere' and 'L.A. Law' would forever change (for the better) cop, medical and legal dramas; and no idea was too high concept to fill a primetime spot (time-travelling physicist? check; housewife-turned-CIA op? check; New York City beauty in love with a subterranean monster? check).
The bottom line: They all add up to 10 years of fine channel surfing -- and our awesome list of the 40 best series of the 1980s.
Whew, after all that, here, in alphabetical order, are the ten I love -- within my own parameters! Feel free to comment with your choices, if your favorite isn't on my list.
Like House is not your typical medical drama, Court K will not be a typical lawyer show, not that Boston Legal is typical, but you know what I mean. Court K is reportedly a lot grittier, with sardonic, dark comic elements. We'll have to see if any of the principals are hooked on Vicodan. I wonder if it'll remind me of the movie ...And Justice For All, which was also a dark comic look at a Baltimore courthouse. But then, wasn't that Night Court, too?
That's getting ahead of the game though. Before we could get to the Peter and Bill hijinks, there was the loosely relevant opening at the Quahog Marine Center. While it was a long way to go to get to the main plot, there were a lot of funny bits in that opening. Herbert at the fondle tank, Stewie's stripper line, and Seamus saving Peter from the octopus were all good bits. I especially liked the Wacky Wall Walker finish to that.
John Larroquette played one of my favorite television characters of all time, Dan Fielding, on the hilariously irreverent series Night Court. Unfortunately, after Night Court it seems like Larroquette lost his audience. He went on to star in his own series after Night Court ended its run, and while The John Larroquette Show lasted three years (which isn't bad for a sitcom) it never really found its voice. Nevertheless, Larroquette still pops up from time to time (and the fact that he won an Emmy for a guest spot on The Practice means he's still got the chops). He'll be returning to NBC to appear in two episodes of Joey opposite Matt LeBlanc. His first appearance will be on September 29. One more bit of Larroquette trivia: he was the narrator who read the opening text in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.21 Photos: Oliver Joins the League of Assassins
- 'Once Upon a Time': 20 Moments of Emma and Regina's Road Trip From 'Lily'
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'High Sparrow'
- Bruce Jenner's Docuseries Gets Premiere Date, 'Kardashians' Stars Show Support
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.20 Photos: Will Klaus Make a Deal with Dahlia?
- More From BuddyTV
- NCIS: Emily Wickersham Previews a Sad Loss, Gibbs''Secret Relationship'
- The Originals' Danielle Campbell Talks Davina's Plan to Kill Klaus, Revive Kol
- The Unauthorized Full House Story Greenlit at Lifetime
- Outlander Stars Talk Fraser Sibling Rivalry, 'Harrowing' Prep for Next Ep
- TVLine Items: Strike Back Premiere Date, an Americans Return and More
- More From TVLine
- Is Jake Gyllenhaal Dating Rachel McAdams?
- Khloe and Kim Kardashian In the Same Plunging White Dress -- Who Wore It Best?
- Brad Pitt Blames Face Scrape on 'Wearing Flip Flops'
- Move Over, Channing Tatum! Joe Manganiello's 'Magic Mike XXL' Poster Is Everything
- Sophia Bush 'Devastated' by Death of Ex Dan Fredinburg in Nepal Earthquake
- More From ET