In the glory days of the Saturday morning cartoon, translated to be from about 1966 to sometime in the 80s, a handful of studios dominated the network schedules from year to year. Eventually, names like Hanna-Barbera, Sid & Marty Kroftt, DePatie-Freeleng and Rankin-Bass became as common to see on the screen as the characters they created. Add to that list an animation and live-action studio that presented two faces: one of quality storytelling, characters and imagination, and another of mass-produced, limited animation.
I speak of Filmation Studios. From 1966 to 1988, this studio produced dozens of cartoons and live action series and paved the way for a number of genres that are still remembered to this day. It also gave us a number of talented artists and writers that went on to bigger and better things. Today, we take a look at this studio, which gave us The Archies, Jason of Star Command and He-Man.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Teen Wolf' Interview: Dylan Sprayberry Talks More Comedy for Liam in Season 5
- 'RHONYC' Star Ramona Singer on Cheating Husband: He's 'Dead' to Me
- 'Teen Wolf' Recap: The Pack Takes a Trip Down Memory Lane
- 'The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose' Recap: A Happy Couple and a Broken Heart
- Meet the Designers of 'Project Runway' Season 14
- More From BuddyTV
- Is Taylor Swift a Mean Girl? Grizzly Bear Frontman Slams Her on Twitter
- Kanye West Drops Mic, Walks Off Stage at Pan Am Games Closing Ceremony
- BFFs? Justin Bieber and Ruby Rose Compare Arm Tattoos Over a Cozy Dinner
- Ashlee Simpson's Husband Evan Ross Shares Intimate Wedding Photos
- Kim Kardashian Gets Defensive With Caitlyn Jenner: 'Don't Bash Us On Your Way Up'
- More From ET