Not Ready for Prime Time Players
As AOL Television continues their look at the 50 Best TV Comedies -- Ever with numbers 30-21, we here at TV Squad are also looking at television comedy, but with a slightly skewed difference. Last week, we took a look at the numerous stand-up comedians who became sitcom stars. In this installment we look at one particular TV comedy that made stars out of a number of actors and actresses.
I'm talking about NBC's Saturday Night Live. Since its premiere in 1975, the late-night sketch show has given us a slew of actors and actresses who have made the move onto both the big and small screen. Sometimes the move was towards more comedy, sometimes it was a switch to more serious roles, other times it was a little bit of both. And, while many of those who made it are still in the public eye these days, some of the greatest of those who came from Studio 8H had their careers snuffed out way too early.
The amount of those who rose to the top varied from cast to cast. Some casts, like the very first one, produced a whole slew of talent who went on to bigger and better things. Others, like the first casts from 1980-85 and the mid-1990s, produced very little in the way of big stars.
Well, now she's back in another ABC comedy pilot, called Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office. She plays the feared assistant of a nice woman who tries to make it in corporate America (Jayma Mays). I can see her in that kind of role; Curtin has always been good at playing the prim and proper woman who has a streak of something sexy or mean or evil underneath.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Exclusive Interview: Joel Courtney on What Makes CW's 'The Messengers' Different
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: The Race Turns Beastly in Africa
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episodes 6.19 and 6.20 Photos: Damon, Elena and the Cure
- 'The Messengers' Premiere Recap: Angels Among Us
- 'Arrow': Our 10 Favorite Roy Harper Moments
- More From BuddyTV
- Performer of the Week: Ming-Na Wen
- The Messengers: Do You Have Faith in The CW's New Supernatural Drama?
- American Idol: What Should the Top 6 Sing for 'Arena Anthems' Week?
- TVLine Items: Weeds Star Joins Preacher, Masters Kid Cast and More
- Arrow: 10 Things to Know About the Sexy, Scary Return to Nanda Parbat
- More From TVLine
- 2015 ACM Awards: Star Sightings
- Sofia Vergara Refutes Ex-Fiance's Claims She Wanted Frozen Embryos Destroyed
- Meet Country Music's Next Superstar: Thomas Rhett
- 'Love & Mercy' Trailer Promises You'll Never Listen to the Beach Boys the Same Again
- Garth Brooks Counts Down ACMs Weekend With '#GarthGrams'
- More From ET