Not Ready for Prime Time Players
As AOL Television continues their look at the 50 Best TV Comedies -- Ever with numbers 30-21, we here at TV Squad are also looking at television comedy, but with a slightly skewed difference. Last week, we took a look at the numerous stand-up comedians who became sitcom stars. In this installment we look at one particular TV comedy that made stars out of a number of actors and actresses.
I'm talking about NBC's Saturday Night Live. Since its premiere in 1975, the late-night sketch show has given us a slew of actors and actresses who have made the move onto both the big and small screen. Sometimes the move was towards more comedy, sometimes it was a switch to more serious roles, other times it was a little bit of both. And, while many of those who made it are still in the public eye these days, some of the greatest of those who came from Studio 8H had their careers snuffed out way too early.
The amount of those who rose to the top varied from cast to cast. Some casts, like the very first one, produced a whole slew of talent who went on to bigger and better things. Others, like the first casts from 1980-85 and the mid-1990s, produced very little in the way of big stars.
Well, now she's back in another ABC comedy pilot, called Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office. She plays the feared assistant of a nice woman who tries to make it in corporate America (Jayma Mays). I can see her in that kind of role; Curtin has always been good at playing the prim and proper woman who has a streak of something sexy or mean or evil underneath.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bones' 200th Episode Photos: The Gang Goes to the 1950s
- 'Bones' Episode 10.9 Photos: Does Brennan Have a Problem with Aubrey?
- 7 Thanksgiving Episodes To Escape Your Family Drama -- Available to Stream Now
- The 25 Best Dances from 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 19
- 'Hart of Dixie' Season 4 Premiere Photos: All About Zoe and Wade
- More From BuddyTV
- The Flash Recap: Future Shock
- The Voice Results Recap: Women on the Verge of a Total Breakdown
- Glee Season 6 First Look: Dramatic New Poster Bids Farewell to McKinley
- Once Upon a Time Photos: Kissing, Cuddling and Blackbeard Vs.... Anna?
- Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman to Star in Big Little Lies Limited Series; David E. Kelley to Serve as Writer/Showrunner
- More From TVLine
- Allison Williams' Surprising Peter Pan Diet: Donuts & Bagels & Everything Sinful
- 'American Horror Story's' Ma Petite: Don't Treat Me Like a Baby
- Ariana Grande's Classy Response to Bette Midler: ‘Always A Fan No Matter What'
- Melissa McCarthy Reveals She Thought She'd Make a Living as a Designer… Not an Actress
- Why Eva Mendes and Ryan Gosling Named Their Daughter Esmeralda Amada
- More From ET