Not Ready for Prime Time Players
As AOL Television continues their look at the 50 Best TV Comedies -- Ever with numbers 30-21, we here at TV Squad are also looking at television comedy, but with a slightly skewed difference. Last week, we took a look at the numerous stand-up comedians who became sitcom stars. In this installment we look at one particular TV comedy that made stars out of a number of actors and actresses.
I'm talking about NBC's Saturday Night Live. Since its premiere in 1975, the late-night sketch show has given us a slew of actors and actresses who have made the move onto both the big and small screen. Sometimes the move was towards more comedy, sometimes it was a switch to more serious roles, other times it was a little bit of both. And, while many of those who made it are still in the public eye these days, some of the greatest of those who came from Studio 8H had their careers snuffed out way too early.
The amount of those who rose to the top varied from cast to cast. Some casts, like the very first one, produced a whole slew of talent who went on to bigger and better things. Others, like the first casts from 1980-85 and the mid-1990s, produced very little in the way of big stars.
Well, now she's back in another ABC comedy pilot, called Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office. She plays the feared assistant of a nice woman who tries to make it in corporate America (Jayma Mays). I can see her in that kind of role; Curtin has always been good at playing the prim and proper woman who has a streak of something sexy or mean or evil underneath.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from the Mid-Season Premiere
- 'The Vampire Diaries': 19 Moments of Love and Sacrifice from 'Prayer for the Dying'
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.12 Photos: Dean Becomes a Teenager
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.12: Hayley Faces Difficult Decision
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.12 Photos: Malcolm Merlyn Joins the Team
- More From BuddyTV
- Elementary Boss: After Kitty's Exit, Sherlock and Watson Must 'Evolve'
- Criminal Minds Spinoff Pilot Adds Breaking Bad Star Anna Gunn
- HTGAWM Stars on the Arrival of Sam's [Spoiler], Future of The Keating 5: 'There's a Teeter-Totter of Trust'
- Parenthood Finale: Show Boss Talks Flash-Forward Surprises, Deleted Scenes and That FNL Cameo
- Scandal Returns: The 7 Craziest Reveals About Olivia's Vanishing
- More From TVLine
- The Top 7 Sexiest Super Bowl Studs From Each Team
- Eddie Murphy Returning to 'SNL' for 40th Anniversary Special!
- OMG T.G.I.T.! The Jaw-Dropping Moments From 'Grey's Anatomy,' 'Scandal' and 'HTGAWM'
- Ellen Snaps a Birthday Selfie With Music's Biggest Superstars
- 'Parenthood' Series Finale Recap: The Bravermans End Where It All Began
- More From ET