Yes, in a strange way of keeping it all in the 'Doctor Who' family, Tennant's announced his engagement to actress Georgia Moffett. 'Who' fans will remember her from a guest spot on a 2008 episode ('The Doctor's Daughter') in which she played Tennant's feisty onscreen daughter Jenny.
And that's not the only 'Who' connection: Georgia's dad is none other than actor Peter Davison, who also used to be Doctor Who. He played the fifth Doctor from 1981-4 and was last seen in the role in 2007 when he appeared with the tenth Doctor -- a.k.a. David Tennant -- in a charity episode on British TV.
Doctor Who fans can once again rejoice. Episodes of the classic series are now available on YouTube. These are officially sanctioned by the BBC, so there's no piracy in this instance.
In this case, it's a selection of a single episode from four of the ten existing Doctors. There is The Edge of Destruction with William Hartnell, The Krotons with Patrick Troughton, Carnival of Monsters with Jon Pertwee and The Caves of Androzani and The Twin Dilemma with Peter Davison and Colin Baker, respectively.
Classic episodes have been available online before. Netflix had a few in their library for subscribers. This is the first instance I recall in which the episodes are available to anybody in the world at any time.
I note that a bunch of the available stories are written by the fantastic Doctor Who scribe Robert Holmes. This guarantees quality writing to compensate for the poor special effects of the era. Enjoy!
A new Who DVD set from BBC Video features a specially remastered episode that offers you just that experience.
Doctor Who: "The Black Guardian Trilogy" serves up a trio of 1983 Who episodes featuring Peter Davison as the Fifth Doctor in a life and death struggle against a supernatural evil force.
A team of restoration and digital effects artists took the final episode of that trilogy ("Enlightenment" -- a well-written, high-concept adventure featuring a simulated sailing race in deep space) and laid in 21st Century CG visuals.
Every once in a while, the British television show Doctor Who is revamped. This is usually done by replacing the lead actor and his supporting crew. However, it is also done by changing the logo of the series. As a result, certain logos are associated with certain eras. Yesterday, the BBC has revealed on their website the logo to be associated with the Matt Smith era of the show. They also have a video of the historical logos of the show.
I don't have a particular favorite logo, although I liked both the "diamond" logo of the 70's, most closely associated with Tom Baker's era, and the "neon" logo of the 80's, which spanned three Doctors (Tom Baker, Peter Davison and Colin Baker). The current one isn't bad either with the cylinder thing with pointy ends (what is that shape called?).
A video preview of thenew logo is available on certain sites such as Topless Robot. What do you think of it? Which logo has been your favorite?
While I would absolutely love it if this could actually happen, I have to question the veracity of this claim. At least the Telegraph isn't the Sun or I'd dismiss it outright. Tom Baker has historically had a problem with attending reunions (he wasn't in "The Five Doctors", but he did participate in a 1993 special "Dimensions In Time").
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Arrow' Episode 3.5 Photos: Felicity's Origin Story
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Episode 7.9 Photos: Conflict and Heartache Strike SAMCRO
- 'The 100' Episode 2.3 Photos: Clarke and Anya Attempt an Escape
- 'Reign' Episode 2.6 Photos: Mary and Catherine on the Run
- Best 'Bones' Quotes from 'The Corpse at the Convention'
- More From BuddyTV
- Grimm Post Mortem: Claire Coffee on Vengeance, Vermin &'Gossipy' Wesen
- NBC Recast Scoop: Uma Thurman In, Mary-Louise Parker Out in The Slap
- Sharon Stone to Play Female Veep in TNT's Newly Greenlit Agent X
- Bad Judge and A to Z Cancelled by NBC
- The Originals Photos: Esther Tortures Elijah — Plus: Her Master Plan Revealed
- More From TVLine
- What Really Happened While Making ‘Honey Boo Boo'
- 30 Years Later, ‘CHiPs' Cast Reunites
- Snooki Opens Up About Her New Baby, Upcoming Wedding and Not Having Sex
- Child Services Investigating Honey Boo Boo's Family, Grandmother Says
- 19 Rules Everyone Should Follow on Halloween (Yes, That Means You Too)
- More From ET