It would have been so easy for Tom Hanks to skip the 'Bosom Buddies' reunion yesterday during the taping of the TV Land Awards, which will air next Sunday night at 9PM. He's one of the biggest movie stars in the world, appearing in more popular and/or critically-acclaimed and/or biggest-grossing modern movies than most other actors, so why in hell would he even bother to go to the reunion of some low-rated show he was on 30 years ago for only 37 episodes?
Because he's Tom Hanks, that's why.
I'm very excited about the 'TV Land Awards' that will air on April 25 at 9PM. I'm a big fan of retro television (and Retro Television), and I like seeing a lot of stars both old and new get all dressed up and come together for a night of fun, craziness, and award-giving. Tim Allen as host? Great! You're going to honor Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari from 'Bosom Buddies?' Fantastic! A salute to 'Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks?' Outstanding!
I'm particularly excited about this year's show because from the promos I've seen, it looks like you're going to re-animate the dead.
According to TV Guide, Hanks and Scolari will appear alongside Donna Dixon, Telma Hopkins and Holland Taylor at the ceremony, which tapes Sat., Apr. 17, and airs Sun., Apr. 25, 9PM on TV Land. Tim Allen hosts.
Fellow cast members Donna Dixon, Thelma Hopkins and Holland Taylor will also be in attendance. Sadly, the late Wendie Jo Sperber cannot (may she rest in peace). The show will be broadcast on April 25th and will be hosted by Tim Allen.
While I won't say that 'Bosom Buddies' launched Tom Hanks' career (the movie 'Splash' gets more credit for that), it definitely showcased his comedic talent. Peter Scolari was also an excellent foil for him and even made a cameo in Hanks' directorial debut 'That Thing You Do.'
It makes you wonder what Kip and Henry are actually doing in the 'Bosom Buddies' universe thirty years later. Henry probably wrote that book about their experience posing as women in order to keep a roof over their heads and it became a bestseller. They might have even decided that they liked dressing in drag and continue to this day.
[via Pop Candy]
There are those in the world that will try to convince you that Bosom Buddies, the early 80s sitcom starring Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari as two advertising guys who have to dress as women in order to afford the rent at an apartment building, is a terrible show. A show that was short-lived because it was so bad. A show that Tom Hanks is probably embarrassed to have on his resume.
None of those things are true. Hanks is proud of the show and has talked about it fondly for years. And the show is actually good. Sure, the premise is ridiculous and "sitcommy," but so what? If it's funny, it's funny. This show was funny, and the two leads and the supporting cast (including Telma Hopkins, the late Wendie Jo Sperber, and Holland Taylor from Two and a Half Men) are great together.
TVShowsOnDVD is reporting that the first season of the show is finally coming to DVD, after many years of speculation. No official word from the studio yet, but there is a pic of the box for the set, which will include 19 episodes. Hopefully there will be some commentaries too.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Arrow' Episode 4.2 Photos: The Team Protects a Mayoral Candidate
- 'The Flash' Episode 2.2 Photos: Meet Jay Garrick
- 'Supernatural' Episode 11.2 Photos: Cas Gets Tortured
- 'ANTM' Recap: One Model Returns, One Model Goes Away
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Episode 12.3 Photos: Would Alex Make a Good Dad?
- More From BuddyTV
- Ratings: Miley Cyrus-Hosted SNL Nets Best Early Numbers Since January
- Quotes of the Week: The Goldbergs, CSI, Masters of Sex, Grey's and More
- Blood & Oil Star Previews New Power Struggles, Secret Affairs in Episode 2
- Miley Cyrus Hosts SNL (and Hillary Clinton Assists): Best/Worst Sketches?
- Unauthorized Beverly Hills, 90210 Story: Shannen Doherty's Ousting and 12 Other Semi-Accurate Revelations
- More From TVLine
- Jennifer Aniston and Justin Theroux Make First Public Appearance As a Married Couple
- Shirtless Orlando Bloom Shows Off His Beach Bod in Malibu
- Kaley Cuoco Channels Luke Skywalker As She's Crowned Masters' Charity Pro-Am Winner
- Caitlyn Jenner Stuns in Red Pantsuit and Lacy Bra at Charity Event, Reunites With Another Groundbreaking Olympian
- Brooklyn Decker and Andy Roddick Welcome Baby Boy
- More From ET