And, in such a relatively short period of time, the news landscape has changed on both the broadcast and the cable fronts, including the fact that on Monday, when Diane Sawyer takes over ABC's World News, he'll be the only male evening news anchor left.
Williams (or as he's been called lately, BriWi) was nice enough to answer some questions via e-mail about his new competition and how he lets his famous sense of humor come through during a serious newscast. Finally, he gives me some insight into what he's listening to right now (if you've seen previous interviews with him, he leans more towards the college radio side).
ABC World News' lead anchor Charlie Gibson has announced his retirement. He will leave the show on Dec. 18 and Diane Sawyer will take over the anchor's chair on Dec. 21.
He has only been the station's lead news anchor since May of 2006 when he stepped in for Bob Woodruff who sustained injuries from a roadside bomb in Iraq. Woodruff and Elizabeth Vargas replaced World News Tonight anchor Peter Jennings who left due to medical reasons.
I didn't know Tim Russert on a personal level. I rarely even saw him in his own element as host of NBC's Meet the Press. However, when he suddenly died last Friday, it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was the fact that he was a huge presence on television, particularly during this year's Presidential election. It made Russert feel like he was a part of the family.
So it has been with many television personalities that have left this earth before their time. It's the intimacy of the industry and the fact that this person has come into our homes night after night, week after week, that the unexpected death of these personalities hits us much harder than, say, movie stars. Unfortunately, there have been a number of these surprising deaths over the last few decades. Here are 12 such deaths that affected millions of television viewers.
- Peter Jennings helped a lot of people to quit smoking.
- Aaron over at TV Barn calls John From Cincinnati "truly baffling."
- There's something truly wrong with Ann Coulter.
- Kevin Eubanks is one sexy vegetarian.
- Katee Sackhoff hates the original Battlestar Galactica.
- Watching Wimbledon this week? Check out ESPN.com's blog.
- TV Guide.com lists the Top 30 Cult Shows of All-Time. Can Star Trek and Lost be considered "cult" shows?
To mark the anniversary of Jennings' death, World News will pay tribute to Jennings tonight by reporting on lung cancer prevention and programs that help people stop smoking. The coverage is part of the network's "Quit to Live" series, which was initiated two months after the anchor's passing.
Well, that was quick.
Anchor Bay Entertainment has announced that they will release six documentaries hosted by Peter Jennings in a two DVD set available on October 18. The six docs are from the past two years (topics include September 11 security, tobacco, Guantanamo Bay, obesity, the LAPD, and Ecstasy). Hopefully they will release specials that Jennings did in the 80s and 90s at some point.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Hawaii Five-0' Season 3 Finale: 5 Burning Questions for Season 4
- 'Bates Motel': The Best and Craziest Moments from Season 1
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Recap: LA and Austin Auditions Sizzle
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Season 4 Finale: 7 Cliffhangers to be Addressed in Season 5
- 'The Voice' Results: 2 Go Home from the Top 10
- More From BuddyTV
- 'Dancing with the Stars' finale: Who won Season 16 - Kellie Pickler or Zendaya?
- 'Grimm' Season 2 finale: 'Goodnight, Sweet Grimm' sends a major character to his coffin
- 'The Voice' results: The Top 10 sheds two - Who went home?
- 'Dancing with the Stars' finale: Who landed in 4th place?
- 'The Voice': Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert perform tribute for tornado victims
- More From Zap2it
- Dancing With the Stars Season 16 Finale: Did the Right Couple Win the Mirrorball Trophy?
- Grimm Post Mortem: David Giuntoli on Nick in a Box ('It's Going to Be Bad'), Wesen Sex and More
- Disney Channel Pulls Controversial Jessie Episode That Mocked Gluten Intolerance
- The Voice Top 10 Results Recap: Did the Right Two Contestants Go Home?
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Vampire Diaries, Nikita, Psych, Revenge, Covert Affairs and More!
- More From TVLine