October 30, 2014
by Kona Gallagher, posted Jun 24th 2009 2:02PM
NBC has been promoting the crap out of their new summer adventure series, The Philanthropist, for weeks now. Starring James Purefoy as Teddy Rist, a billionaire playboy who decides to save the world, The previews held absolutely no interest for me. Now, after having seen the pilot, I realize that my first impression was the correct one.
Premiering tonight at 10 PM, The Philanthropist is basically an hour of an insufferable rich dude talking about how awesome he is. We watch the premise of the show unfold through the eyes of Rist himself, as he tells his tale of heroism (saving a Nigerian boy from drowning; surviving a shoot-out and a snake bite in order to deliver some Cholera vaccines to a village) to a bored bartender.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Sons of Anarchy': 17 Shocking Moments from 'The Separation of Crows'
- 'Nashville' Recap: Will Rayna Choose Career Over Romance?
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: Edward Mordrake's Hellish Carnival Gets a New Freak
- 'Criminal Minds' Recap: No Treats for These Kids on Halloween
- 'Arrow' Recap: The Devil Returns to Starling City
- More From BuddyTV
- Jim Carrey Tests David Letterman for Ebola
- Miley Cyrus and Rihanna Bid For Best Cleavage at amfAR Gala
- Nicole Kidman Talks Keith Urban Love Letters & Losing Her Father on 'Ellen'
- The Final 'Mockingjay - Part 1' Trailer - Everything We Know
- Go Behind the Scenes with the Famous Voices of Disney's 'Big Hero 6'
- More From ET