April 20, 2015
by Kona Gallagher, posted Jun 24th 2009 2:02PM
NBC has been promoting the crap out of their new summer adventure series, The Philanthropist, for weeks now. Starring James Purefoy as Teddy Rist, a billionaire playboy who decides to save the world, The previews held absolutely no interest for me. Now, after having seen the pilot, I realize that my first impression was the correct one.
Premiering tonight at 10 PM, The Philanthropist is basically an hour of an insufferable rich dude talking about how awesome he is. We watch the premise of the show unfold through the eyes of Rist himself, as he tells his tale of heroism (saving a Nigerian boy from drowning; surviving a shoot-out and a snake bite in order to deliver some Cholera vaccines to a village) to a bored bartender.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Once Upon a Time' Episode 4.20 Photos: Emma and Regina Track Down Maleficent's Daughter
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Live Blog: Spring Break and the Team Dances
- 'Supernatural' Episode 10.20 Photos: Castiel Helps the Novaks
- 'The Voice' Live Blog: The Top 10 Perform
- 'Once Upon a Time': 19 Moments that Prove Cruella is a True Villain from 'Sympathy for the De Vil'
- More From BuddyTV
- The Originals Post Mortem: EP Explains [Spoiler]'s Death, Klaus' New Position
- Empire Promotes Pair to Series Regular
- Report: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Spinoff to Star Adrianne Palicki & Nick Blood
- New Girl First Look: Schmidt Covers Fawn's Behind, Coach Preps to Go
- Regina King Joins The Leftovers
- More From TVLine