April 21, 2014
by Kona Gallagher, posted Jun 24th 2009 2:02PM
NBC has been promoting the crap out of their new summer adventure series, The Philanthropist, for weeks now. Starring James Purefoy as Teddy Rist, a billionaire playboy who decides to save the world, The previews held absolutely no interest for me. Now, after having seen the pilot, I realize that my first impression was the correct one.
Premiering tonight at 10 PM, The Philanthropist is basically an hour of an insufferable rich dude talking about how awesome he is. We watch the premise of the show unfold through the eyes of Rist himself, as he tells his tale of heroism (saving a Nigerian boy from drowning; surviving a shoot-out and a snake bite in order to deliver some Cholera vaccines to a village) to a bored bartender.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Game of Thrones' Quotes from 'Breaker of Chains'
- 'The Amazing Race: All-Stars' Week 8 Express Pass Power Rankings: With a Little Help from My Friends
- 'The Good Wife' Recap: Can Louis Canning Save Lockhart-Gardner?
- 'Mad Men' Recap: A Surprising Valentine's Day
- 'The Amazing Race: All Stars' Recap: Screw the U-Turn
- More From BuddyTV
- True Blood Season 7: First Teaser Reveals 'Sick Vampires' and Civil War in Bon Temps
- Mad Men Recap: A Thorny Matter Indeed
- Did WGN America's Salem Bewitch You?
- Devious Maids Season Premiere Recap: Bridges of Beverly Hills — Plus: Bonus Scoop
- Game of Thrones Recap: The Devil You Know
- More From TVLine