by Kona Gallagher, posted Jun 24th 2009 2:02PM
NBC has been promoting the crap out of their new summer adventure series, The Philanthropist, for weeks now. Starring James Purefoy as Teddy Rist, a billionaire playboy who decides to save the world, The previews held absolutely no interest for me. Now, after having seen the pilot, I realize that my first impression was the correct one.
Premiering tonight at 10 PM, The Philanthropist is basically an hour of an insufferable rich dude talking about how awesome he is. We watch the premise of the show unfold through the eyes of Rist himself, as he tells his tale of heroism (saving a Nigerian boy from drowning; surviving a shoot-out and a snake bite in order to deliver some Cholera vaccines to a village) to a bored bartender.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TV ratings: 'Dancing With the Stars' finale down from fall, 'The Voice' drops too
- 'Arrested Development': Tony Hale talks Season 4, Liza Minnelli and movie plans
- 'Law & Order: SVU' Season 14 finale: Cast members talk shocking cliffhanger
- Jennifer Aniston stages mini 'Friends' reunion to prepare for 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' co-host gig
- 'Grimm' Season 3 teases: David Giuntoli on zombie Nick and James Frain being next season's Big Bad
- More From Zap2it
- Finale Ratings: Grimm Improves on Season 1 Closer, DWTS Down 21 Percent Vs. Year Ago
- Report: American Idol Mulling All-Alumni Judges' Panel — Crazy-Good or Just Crazy?
- Big Bang, Horror Story, Parks & Rec, Good Wife, The Americans Lead Critics Choice Nominations
- What to Watch Wednesday: Chicago Fire and 5 Other Finales, MasterChef Gets Cooking and More
- Dancing With the Stars Season 16 Finale: Did the Right Couple Win the Mirrorball Trophy?
- More From TVLine