October 1, 2014
by Kona Gallagher, posted Jun 24th 2009 2:02PM
NBC has been promoting the crap out of their new summer adventure series, The Philanthropist, for weeks now. Starring James Purefoy as Teddy Rist, a billionaire playboy who decides to save the world, The previews held absolutely no interest for me. Now, after having seen the pilot, I realize that my first impression was the correct one.
Premiering tonight at 10 PM, The Philanthropist is basically an hour of an insufferable rich dude talking about how awesome he is. We watch the premise of the show unfold through the eyes of Rist himself, as he tells his tale of heroism (saving a Nigerian boy from drowning; surviving a shoot-out and a snake bite in order to deliver some Cholera vaccines to a village) to a bored bartender.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- October 2014: Don't Miss These 13 TV Shows and Events
- 'Castle' Episode 7.2 Photos: Death at a Toy Company
- The 15 Best 'Gilmore Girls' Episodes Ever
- Is Bethenny Frankel Returning to 'The Real Housewives of New York City'?
- 'Mistresses' Renewed for Season 3, Why Alyssa Milano Won't Be Back
- More From BuddyTV
- AHS: Freak Show Opening Credits — There Ought to Be (Menacing) Clowns
- Gilmore Girls on Netflix: 25 Must-Watch Episodes (And 7 You Can Totally Skip)
- Red Band's Dave Annable on Hot Doc's Messy Love Life, Clooney-esque Hair
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Recruits White Collar Vet Tim DeKay to Play Ward's [Spoiler]
- More From TVLine