October 23, 2014
by Kona Gallagher, posted Jun 24th 2009 2:02PM
NBC has been promoting the crap out of their new summer adventure series, The Philanthropist, for weeks now. Starring James Purefoy as Teddy Rist, a billionaire playboy who decides to save the world, The previews held absolutely no interest for me. Now, after having seen the pilot, I realize that my first impression was the correct one.
Premiering tonight at 10 PM, The Philanthropist is basically an hour of an insufferable rich dude talking about how awesome he is. We watch the premise of the show unfold through the eyes of Rist himself, as he tells his tale of heroism (saving a Nigerian boy from drowning; surviving a shoot-out and a snake bite in order to deliver some Cholera vaccines to a village) to a bored bartender.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bachelor' Roundup: Andi and Josh Invite Exes to Wedding, Desiree and Chris Set the Date
- 'Kardashians' Roundup: Bruce's Rumored Girlfriend, Kris' Thoughts on Bruce and More
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: The Two-Faced Prince is Summoned
- 'Nashville' Recap: How Much Longer Can Will Keep His Secret?
- 'Sons of Anarchy': 21 Touching and Frightening Moments from 'Greensleeves'
- More From BuddyTV
- Here's What Renee Zellweger Told ET About Plastic Surgery -- Back in 2002
- S Club 7 Makes Our Dreams Come True With Reunion News
- Oscar De La Renta: Inside His World
- Taylor Swift Reveals '1989' Tracklist (and We Guess Who Each Song Is About)
- Former Crisis Manager: Teresa Giudice a 'Mess,' Worse Than Chris Brown
- More From ET