August 21, 2014
by Kona Gallagher, posted Jun 24th 2009 2:02PM
NBC has been promoting the crap out of their new summer adventure series, The Philanthropist, for weeks now. Starring James Purefoy as Teddy Rist, a billionaire playboy who decides to save the world, The previews held absolutely no interest for me. Now, after having seen the pilot, I realize that my first impression was the correct one.
Premiering tonight at 10 PM, The Philanthropist is basically an hour of an insufferable rich dude talking about how awesome he is. We watch the premise of the show unfold through the eyes of Rist himself, as he tells his tale of heroism (saving a Nigerian boy from drowning; surviving a shoot-out and a snake bite in order to deliver some Cholera vaccines to a village) to a bored bartender.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Emmy Poll 2014: What Should Win Best Variety, Music or Comedy Series?
- True Blood: Ranking 15 of the Series' Best and (Mostly) Worst Villains
- Sneak Peek: The Last Ship Gets a Rude Awakening in Season Finale
- Max Adler Returning to Glee's Season 6 — Should Klaine Fans Be Worried?
- Pretty Little Liars First Look: 'Fatal' Summer Finale Claims Its First Victim
- More From TVLine
- Robin Williams' Ashes Scattered in San Francisco Bay
- EXCLUSIVE: On Set With Charli XCX for Her Prom-Themed 'Break the Rules' Video
- Remember William Hung From 'American Idol?' He's Married!
- Nick Cannon Confirms Separate Living Arrangements with Mariah Carey
- Ariana Grande Clarifies Her Comments on Her Ex Cheating on Her With Another Guy
- More From ET