September 23, 2014
by Kona Gallagher, posted Jun 24th 2009 2:02PM
NBC has been promoting the crap out of their new summer adventure series, The Philanthropist, for weeks now. Starring James Purefoy as Teddy Rist, a billionaire playboy who decides to save the world, The previews held absolutely no interest for me. Now, after having seen the pilot, I realize that my first impression was the correct one.
Premiering tonight at 10 PM, The Philanthropist is basically an hour of an insufferable rich dude talking about how awesome he is. We watch the premise of the show unfold through the eyes of Rist himself, as he tells his tale of heroism (saving a Nigerian boy from drowning; surviving a shoot-out and a snake bite in order to deliver some Cholera vaccines to a village) to a bored bartender.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- NCIS Season 12 Premiere Recap: The Russian Is Coming
- Dancing With the Stars Week 2 Results: Did The Right Couple Go Home?
- Syfy Orders to Series Alien Hunter Adaptation From Walking Dead EP
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Castle, Outlander, Bones, Grey's, Walking Dead, Chicago PD, Arrow and More
- James Franco on His New AOL Series Making a Scene: 'They Were All Weird'
- More From TVLine
- Sarah Hyland Gets Restraining Order Against Ex
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Makes an Inspiring Video on Feminism
- Rosie O'Donnell Addresses Rumored 'The View' Feud with Barbara Walters
- Apparently Sexy Criminals Are A Thing Now
- Why Paula Deen Could Have One of the Biggest Comebacks in Media History
- More From ET