December 18, 2014
by Kona Gallagher, posted Jun 24th 2009 2:02PM
NBC has been promoting the crap out of their new summer adventure series, The Philanthropist, for weeks now. Starring James Purefoy as Teddy Rist, a billionaire playboy who decides to save the world, The previews held absolutely no interest for me. Now, after having seen the pilot, I realize that my first impression was the correct one.
Premiering tonight at 10 PM, The Philanthropist is basically an hour of an insufferable rich dude talking about how awesome he is. We watch the premise of the show unfold through the eyes of Rist himself, as he tells his tale of heroism (saving a Nigerian boy from drowning; surviving a shoot-out and a snake bite in order to deliver some Cholera vaccines to a village) to a bored bartender.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Recap: Pepper Finds a New Home
- 'Survivor: San Juan del Sur' Season Finale Recap: A Fairytale Win for the 29th Survivor
- 'The 100' Mid-Season Finale Recap: Will Camp Jaha Give Finn Up?
- 'Hell's Kitchen' Season Finale Recap: And the Winning Chef Is...
- 'Glee' Season 6 Cast Photos
- More From BuddyTV
- Smash Musical Gets One-Night Broadway Bow — Who Will Star In It?
- It's Official: Smash Is Broadway-Bound
- Ratings: Survivor Finale Tops Night, Sing-Off Slips, The 100 Dips
- Orphan Black Season 3 Gets Premiere Date, Teaser Warning 'This Is War'
- American Horror Story: Freak Show Winter Finale Recap: Nun of a Kind
- More From TVLine
- Nicki Minaj Suffers Nip Slip While Discussing Past Wardrobe Malfunctions
- Man Spends $150,000 to Look Like Kim Kardashian
- Robin Williams' Son, Zak, on Father's Death: 'I Miss Him All the Time'
- President Obama Reveals His Favorite Movie and Viral Videos of 2014
- Ansel Elgort Addresses Gay Rumors: 'I Like Girls, A Lot'
- More From ET