October 1, 2014
by Julia Ward, posted Jan 26th 2007 8:36PM
Oprah's Book Club is back. Like a phoenix from the ashes of the James Frey debacle, Oprah has returned, and this time she's got a veritable saint by her side in the form of acclaimed actor and activist Sidney Poitier. When your book club's burned by a guy who made a bunch of crap up, what better way to go than with the autobiography of a person who has lived most of his adult life in the public eye. It also doesn't hurt that the guy's golden. Short of some cantankerous ghostwriter coming forward, Poitier and his autobiographical tome The Measure of a Man are beyond criticism. He also lacks any particular literary pretenses so he's not going to pull a Jonathan Franzen, who requested that his book The Corrections be struck from the Winfrey record.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- FX Orders Pariah Pilot From It's Always Sunny Scribes, Starring Comic Bill Burr
- TVLine Items: The 100's First Bloody Minutes, GH Vet Returns and More
- Castle Mystery Man Drops (Just a Few) Clues About Rick's Vanishing
- Showtime Sets Return Dates for Shameless, Episodes and House of Lies
- Ratings: Selfie and Love Story Gets Few Likes, S.H.I.E.L.D. Hits Low, Mindy Rises
- More From TVLine
- 'Little People Big World' Jeremy and Audrey Roloff Honeymoon
- EXCLUSIVE: Preview Jason Aldean's 'Old Boots, New Dirt' Bonus Track 'Too Much You For Me'
- Alyssa Milano Not Returning to 'Mistresses' Season 3
- Gilmore Girls is Coming to Netflix—Why You Should Binge-Watch This Show Immediately!
- Did Lady Gaga and Taylor Kinney Get Secretly Married? See the Ring!
- More From ET