General Motors has made a lot of dumb decisions in their day, and three-quarters of them are still being sold to gullible car-buyers across the globe.
However, one of their biggest, boneheaded moves doesn't involve a car at all. The soon-to-be-former car manufacturing giant has announced that it's ending its 22-year run as primary sponsor for PBS filmmaker Ken Burns, and it just might end Burns' career in television as we know it.
PBS is getting into the coffee game by joining with Green Mountain Coffee Roasters and creating the PBS Blend. The coffee will be organic, and will be "offered in whole bean, 10 oz. packages, and single serve K-cups for use in Keurig Single-Cup brewers."
But the PBS ombudsman column above raises an interesting question: how can PBS get into the for-profit business of selling coffee and other commercial endeavors and still get taxpayer support? Whatever side you happen to fall on, the column probably answers any questions you might have and is well worth reading.
I wonder if they'll do it for certain shows. Maybe a Sesame Street Hazelnut or a Bill Moyers Vanilla Bean. Though I don't really want to know what a McLaughlin Group-flavored coffee would taste like.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Key & Peele' Season 4 gets more episodes, animated series in the works
- 'The Tomorrow People' moves to Mondays: Watch the Jedikiah-Astrid video
- 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for Season 8 ... and Season 9 and Season 10
- TV ratings: 'The Voice' and 'About a Boy' dip Tuesday while 'Agents of SHIELD' improves
- Backstage at 'Saturday Night Live': Lena Dunham reveals Adam might die on 'Girls' next season?
- More From Zap2it
- Exclusive Vikings Sneak Peek: Lagertha's New Husband May Be an Earl, But He's No Prince
- Exclusive Teen Wolf Sneak Peek: 'Stiles is Dying'
- Mad Men Season 7 First Look Photos: Are Don and Peggy About to Take Off?
- Scoop: Covert Affairs Adds Body of Proof Alum as Series Regular, Annie's New Romantic Interest
- Pilot Scoop: Once Upon a Time's Rose McIver Lands Lead Role in The CW's iZombie
- More From TVLine