General Motors has made a lot of dumb decisions in their day, and three-quarters of them are still being sold to gullible car-buyers across the globe.
However, one of their biggest, boneheaded moves doesn't involve a car at all. The soon-to-be-former car manufacturing giant has announced that it's ending its 22-year run as primary sponsor for PBS filmmaker Ken Burns, and it just might end Burns' career in television as we know it.
PBS is getting into the coffee game by joining with Green Mountain Coffee Roasters and creating the PBS Blend. The coffee will be organic, and will be "offered in whole bean, 10 oz. packages, and single serve K-cups for use in Keurig Single-Cup brewers."
But the PBS ombudsman column above raises an interesting question: how can PBS get into the for-profit business of selling coffee and other commercial endeavors and still get taxpayer support? Whatever side you happen to fall on, the column probably answers any questions you might have and is well worth reading.
I wonder if they'll do it for certain shows. Maybe a Sesame Street Hazelnut or a Bill Moyers Vanilla Bean. Though I don't really want to know what a McLaughlin Group-flavored coffee would taste like.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Constantine' Recap: Can Constantine Stop Another Evil Entity?
- 'The Amazing Race' Recap: Which Team Member is Left Dangling High Above the Ground?
- [Video] 'The Bachelor' Season 19: Estrogen Mayhem and a Pregnancy Test
- 'The Originals' Episode 2.9 Photos: Mommy, Daddy and Hope!
- If I Am Going Down That Dark Alley Then I Want These Characters With Me
- More From BuddyTV
- Matador Cancelled by El Rey Network
- Despite The Mentalist's Coupling, Final Season 'Is Not Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Does Supernatural's Dean Lack Game? Where Does Flash Keep His Cash? Did Good Wife's Grace Goof? And More Qs
- Emily Deschanel Talks Bones Season 11: 'I'm Up For It!"
- Forever Video: Henry and Jo Want to Know Who Put Out a Hit on This Brit
- More From TVLine
- Mindy Kaling Confronts Her Supposed Ex-Boyfriend on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'
- See Rita Ora (And Her Crazy Wig) in 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Ray Rice Wins Appeal, Suspension Lifted, Union Says
- Burt Reynolds Auctions His Golden Globe
- 'The Walking Dead' Boss Talks 'Unexpected' Mid-Season Finale: You'll Need Tissues!
- More From ET