April 19, 2014
by Danny Gallagher, posted Mar 8th 2010 7:38AM
There was a great industry joke lobbed at the Hollywood awards machine by the short-lived but loved TV cartoon 'The Critic.' The joke featured a Midwestern farmer and his boy spotting a plane headed to Hollywood.
"Yep, son," the wide-eyed farm says with a big pitchfork in his all-American paw, "on that plane are the people who fill our lives with blockbuster movies, moronic situation comedies, awards shows where awards shows win awards. Get my gun, boy."
If the 82nd Academy Awards takes home an Emmy or even a nomination for their television broadcast, just about every middle American farmer with a sidearm will land on a terror alert watch list and every first class flight from New York to Hollywood will have to divert over the Gulf of Mexico in order to avoid the inevitable strafe of gunfire from America's heartland.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Awkward, Shameless, Crisis, Mindy and More
- What to Watch This Weekend: Orphan Black Returns, a Devious Premiere, Salem and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Jack Gleeson
- Report: Gwen Stefani Replacing Christina Aguilera on The Voice Next Season
- Shane West Previews Scary Salem's 'Sense of Urgency and Dread,' Talks Taming His Wig
- More From TVLine
- John C. Reilly Takes You Behind The Scenes Of Disney's 'Bears'
- 'Hawaii Five-0' Star Alex O'Loughlin is Married!
- 'Jesus Christ Superstar' Creators Talk Show's Creation & Controversy
- 'Good Morning America' Promotes Lara Spencer to Co-Host
- Exclusive: Lionel Richie Recalls His Amazing Chance Meeting with Marvin Gaye
- More From ET