April 2, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'Inside Man'
- Best 'Arrow' Quotes from 'Public Enemy'
- 'Nashville' Recap: Rayna and Deacon Make a Decision About Their Future
- 'American Idol' Recap: The Top 9 (and Kelly Clarkson) Sing the Songs of Kelly Clarkson
- 'Arrow' Recap: Oliver Becomes Public Enemy #1
- More From BuddyTV
- Americans Post Mortem: Holly Taylor on Paige's Parental Faceoff, Spy Potential
- Nashville Recap: Red Letter 'Deyna'
- American Idol Recap: I Don't Think You're Ready for This Kelly
- Arrow Recap: Better Off Dead — Plus, New Clues About Felicity's Dad?
- Revenge Recruits Tom Amandes for Everwood Reunion — See Photo
- More From TVLine
- Maddie Ziegler Showcases Her Dance Hands In Sia's New 'Girls Don't Cry' Video
- Vin Diesel Has the Perfect 'Fast & Furious' Role for Helen Mirren
- 'Furious 7' Stars Show Support for Paul Walker's Brother's Possible Acting Pursuit
- Rihanna Pulls Off Epic April Fools Prank on Jimmy Kimmel
- Pharrell and Jimmy Fallon Are an '80s R&B Duo on the 'Tonight Show'
- More From ET