May 26, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 15 Best Returning Shows of Summer 2015
- Meet the Top 22 of 'MasterChef' Season 6
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Interview: Sasha Pieterse on Charles, the 'Darkest Season' Yet and More
- [Videos] 'America's Got Talent' Season 10 Premiere Preview: Explosives, Makeovers and Make Outs
- More From BuddyTV
- Aquarius: David Duchovny, Cast Talk 'Tragic' Charles Manson Drama
- TVLine Items: Seacrest Plays Host Again, Critics' Choice Honorees & More
- Bones Sneak Peek: Booth and Brennan Take Time Apart... In Separate Homes!
- Amy Schumer, the Next Bachelorette? ABC Wants Her, and So Do We
- More From TVLine
- 'Emoji,' 'Photobomb,' 'WTF' and More Hip Internet Phrases Officially Added to Merriam-Webster Dictionary
- Top 10 Scandals of 2015 So Far
- Kylie Jenner Almost Flashes Her Boobs in Sexy Summer Photoshoot
- Chrissy Teigen's Topless Shoot Hits 'DuJour' -- See the NSFW Photos!
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers Apologizes for 'Minor Relapse'
- More From ET