July 1, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 14th 2010 1:03PM
(S01E05) Ah, family. Probably the one thing Raylan didn't want to have to deal with upon his return to Kentucky. Unfortunately, a stakeout brought him to Harlan, where his father and stepmother live and operate. For the first time since 'Justified' premiered, we got a huge dose of the Givens family drama Raylan was running away from in the first place.
Can't say as I blame him. Family is always family, but if I had someone like Raylan's father Arlo to deal with in my family, I don't know how I'd handle it. Both Timothy Olyphant and Raymond J. Barry, as Arlo, did a masterful job of showing the layers of complexity in their relationship throughout the episode.
The hurt and frustration Raylan went through as a child never quite left him, and while there are traces of guilt and regret in Arlo, there's so much more of him that's never bothered to change and never quite will.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Extant Season 2 Premiere Recap: Revolving Spores
- Jason O'Mara Teases Complications to Come, Revisits His Jurassic Series' Fate
- Lucifer Adds Arrow's Kevin Alejandro
- Scream Queens Cast Photos: Meet the Slasher Comedy's Potential Victims
- More From TVLine
- London Has Fallen Teaser: Get Ready for Gerard Butler and Explosions
- Rick and Morty Season 2 Trailer: It's Probably Best If Morty Started Driving the Spaceship
- More from Vulture
- Beyonce's Custom Blue Ivy-Inspired Ring Is All Kinds of Adorable
- Stephen Colbert Interviews Eminem on Public Access TV and It's as Hilarious as You'd Expect
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Friend Speaks Out About Her Tumultuous Relationship With Nick Gordon
- 'Ant-Man' Star Paul Rudd Can't Get Enough of Fart Jokes
- Watch Tom Cruise Drive a Car Backwards in 'Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation'
- More From ET