1974 -- the start of the second revolution of live-action, Saturday morning programming. There's no clear reason why, after nearly a decade-and-a-half, the networks decided to infuse their schedules with more live-action fare. Perhaps, after 10 years of non-stop animation, they decided to mix the formula up. Perhaps they were looking to further model the Saturday morning schedule like their primetime partners. Or, perhaps they realized that ordering live-action programs was cheaper than ordering new cartoons.
IIIIII'mmmm going with 'cheap' as the main reason.
Of the fourteen shows that premiered in the 1974-75 season nearly a third of them were live-action programs. Only one of them came from the Sid and Marty Kroftt factory. The others came from two studios that hadn't had much experience with 30-minute, live-action fare...Filmation and Hanna-Barbera. The rest of the schedules were filled with animated retoolings of primetime programs, talking motorcycles, and dogs who performed karate. As we've done of the last few installments the 1974-75 season will be split into two parts. This time we'll look at CBS's schedule. So, if your Schwinn is in the garage, let's journey back to a far simpler time.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Season 2 Episode 5B Photos: Justin and Mackenzie Get a Surprise Wedding
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: John vs. Steve and a Juror Returns
- Meet the Top 10 of 'Last Comic Standing' Season 9
- 'Big Brother 17' Week 9: Austin's HoH Photos
- Married Couple Alexa Vega and Carlos Pena, Jr. Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 21
- More From BuddyTV
- Fox's Frankenstein Code Changes Title to Lookinglass — What Does It Mean?
- Chicago Med Taps Sopranos Vets as New Showrunners
- Hannibal Series Finale Sneak Peek: Will Bids the Serial Killer a Chilling Farewell
- Julie Benz Joins Hawaii Five-0 as SFPD Cop/Romantic Interest for [Spoiler]
- TVLine Items: Michelle Pfeiffer on HBO, Hemlock Grove Return Date and More
- More From TVLine
- Stars Share Pics of Their Cute Kids
- Rob Kardashian Posts Throwback Picture, Suggests Milkshakes Kicked Off His Weight Gain
- Susan Sarandon & Dr. Phil Fight to Save Richard Glossip From Death Row
- Snooki Explains Why She Doesn't Wear Her Wedding Ring Amid Ashley Madison Drama
- Move Over, Ed Sheeran! Chris Brown Just Got A New Huge Tattoo
- More From ET