Red vs blue
Will Wright, the creator of the iconic line of "Sim" games including the popular "Sims," has created a program called the "Storymaker Engine" that lets ordinary schlubs like you and me create TV shows using Sims.
Wright and company are hoping that the stories created from this engine can be turned into an entertaining half-hour to hour of television for Current TV. "Machinima" shows like 'Red vs. Blue' and the 'South Park' 'Make Love, Not Warcraft' episode have helped bring some video game driven entertainment to audiences, but would you watch an entire show that was produced on a video game?
More fallout from Dr. Horrible, as machinima.com has hired Felicia Day to write a new sit-com. Of course, her work on The Guild probably had a lot to do with it as well. This is not just any sit-com though. It takes place inside a video game. Kind of implied by her employer, I know, but I think the fact that I recognize Gus Sorola on sight probably puts me in the minority.
Anyway... Lon over at Tubefilter got a chance to talk with Felicia about the new project. The short version is that she's still in the writing stage, so there is no cast at the moment. She wanted to take "archetypal characters from sit-coms and place them in a fantastical world." So long as that doesn't mean a fat stupid guy with a really hot wife, I like it as a starting point. The show is set to launch in the fall with five short episodes that will combine into one half hour pilot. Audience feedback will influence four more possible half hour segments.
The idea for a MMO story had actually been kicking around for some time, but was initially shelved due to the technical aspects of it. Once they finally decided to go with the WoW episode, it took three times as long to do the WoW footage as a normal South Park episode. And that was with full cooperation from the fine folks at Blizzard. It's an interesting read for South Park fans, WoW fans, or anyone interested in machinima. And if none of that works for you, you can still go watch Red vs. Blue, because that's just good comedy.
[ via slashdot ]
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'True Blood' Beginnings: Everything You Need to Know About Alcide Herveaux
- 'Doctor Who' Season 7 Finale Recap: The Tomb of the Doctor
- Summer Cookout: Recipes from Our Favorite Cooking Shows
- From Kelly to Candice: Ranking the 'American Idol' Winners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Rankings: Who Was the Baddest Character in Season 4?
- More From BuddyTV
- Billboard Music Awards 2013: Taylor Swift wins Artist of the Year
- 'All-Star Celebrity Apprentice' winner: Trace Adkins or Penn Jillette, who took home the prize?
- Billboard Music Awards 2013: Full winners list
- Billboard Music Awards 2013: Prince was an Icon before he got the award
- Billboard Music Awards 2013: Tracy Morgan is a good but ill-fitting host
- More From Zap2it
- Game of Thrones Recap: Wedding-Bell Booze
- BBC Renews Doctor Who for Season 8
- Hot for Summer! Your Guide to 125 Upcoming Premiere and Finale Dates
- Ben Affleck Hosts Saturday Night Live: What Were the Best and Worst Sketches?
- Finale Ratings: Versus 2012, Shark Tank Surges, Nikita Is Steady and Undercover Boss Drops
- More From TVLine