(S01E03) "Music, dance, and happiness--by order."
This episode pits Number 6 versus the new Number 2, a pixie-ish woman with a demonic laugh, in a battle over who can control who. Number 2 persuades Number 6 to join in the carnival festivities, but Number 6 wants no part of it, being that he does not want to be a member of the village and is constantly plotting to escape. He also is being observed by an attractive woman who seems not to enjoy her job, but she has no problem reporting on his activities and scheming to get him to supply Number 2 with information.
As Number 6 contemplates another escape, he comes across a dead body on the beach, where he finds a wallet and a radio on him and takes them with him after he hides the body in a cave. As time passes on, Number 2 continues "by hook or by crook" to get Number 6 to assimilate more into the Village, but his anger at being there and his plans for escape are his prime motivation.
When watching this show, it's amazing to see how many psychological devices are used to get prisoners to talk. Electric shock treatment, the administering of powerful drugs, and mind control techniques are just a few of the ways that the powers-that-be use to get what they want. I bring it up only because even though British television in the 60s certainly allowed more "adult" or "controversial" material to be broadcasted than the FCC would in America, but it's pretty strong stuff just the same.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Supernatural' Quotes from 'Girls, Girls, Girls'
- 'Bones' 200th Episode Photos: The Gang Goes to the 1950s
- 'Bones' Episode 10.9 Photos: Does Brennan Have a Problem with Aubrey?
- 7 Thanksgiving Episodes To Escape Your Family Drama -- Available to Stream Now
- 'Supernatural' Recap: The Truth About Rowena is Revealed
- More From BuddyTV
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Once, Glee, Grey's, Vampire Diaries, HTGAWM, Jane, Parks, Cougar Town and More
- Dancing With the Stars Recap: Did the Right Couple Win? Plus: Top 5 Moments and Season 19 Finale Pics!
- Faking It Finale: EP Explains Karma's Dream, Liam's Sacrifice and More
- Mindy Project Recap: How Ma Got Her Groove Back
- Degrassi Surprise: Spinner Returns — and He's Still Working at the Dot!
- More From TVLine
- Gay Soccer Star Robbie Rogers on His New Memoir, ABC Sitcom & Boyfriend Greg Berlanti
- Mila Kunis Steps Out Slim and Trim Only 2 Months After Having Baby
- Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman are Coming to TV -- For a Limited Time Only
- Jennifer Lawrence and Her Gal Pals Recreate 'Vanderpump Rules' Intro
- Ellen DeGeneres Plays Anastasia Steele in Goofy 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Parody
- More From ET