October 13, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 28th 2010 12:02PM
With the season coming to a close, the networks are starting to look toward next season. In the case of 'Criminal Minds,' that includes exploring the possibility of a spin-off series. They ran an embedded pilot for it earlier this season, introducing the new cast, and they've already had tremendous success with both 'NCIS' and 'CSI' spin-offs. But whatever happened to the old-school way of creating spin-offs?
'Frasier' was a long-time cast member on 'Cheers' before he headed off to Seattle and sitcom super-stardom. 'The Jeffersons' spent time living next to the Bunkers ('All in the Family') before moving on up. Even as recently as 'Friends,' they spun series co-star 'Joey' off into his own series -- maybe that's when it all went so wrong.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Quantico' Episode 6 Photos: The Recruits Practice Surveillance on Miranda and Her Son
- 'Bones' Episode 11.4 Photos: Will Brennan Feel Competitive with Betty White's Dr. Mayer Around?
- 'The Flash' Recap: Does the Team Trust Jay Garrick?
- 'Arrow' Villain Damien Darhk to Appear on 'The Flash' and 'Legends of Tomorrow'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 21: Switch-Up Performance Rankings
- More From BuddyTV
- Denzel Washington Is Coming to 'Grey's Anatomy,' But It's Not What You Think
- Lamar Odom Reportedly Found Unconscious in Nevada Brothel
- EXCLUSIVE: 'The Flash's Teddy Sears Spills on Jay Garrick's Relationship With [SPOILER] and Who Would Win in a Race!
- Scott Disick Shares Latest Cryptic Post: 'Never Give Up'
- Why Is Michelle Duggar Repurposing Old Blogs About Sex & Chaperones Post-Scandal?
- More From ET