May 28, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 28th 2010 12:02PM
With the season coming to a close, the networks are starting to look toward next season. In the case of 'Criminal Minds,' that includes exploring the possibility of a spin-off series. They ran an embedded pilot for it earlier this season, introducing the new cast, and they've already had tremendous success with both 'NCIS' and 'CSI' spin-offs. But whatever happened to the old-school way of creating spin-offs?
'Frasier' was a long-time cast member on 'Cheers' before he headed off to Seattle and sitcom super-stardom. 'The Jeffersons' spent time living next to the Bunkers ('All in the Family') before moving on up. Even as recently as 'Friends,' they spun series co-star 'Joey' off into his own series -- maybe that's when it all went so wrong.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- TVLine Items: Hulu Drops Duggars, Urban Cowboy Series and More
- Fall TV First Impression: Supergirl
- Game of Thrones First Look: Tyrion and Daenerys Come Face-to-Face
- Hell on Wheels' Fifth and Final Season Premiere Date Set at AMC
- Dominion First Look: Season 2 Trailer Proves Angelic War Is Holy Hell
- More From TVLine
- George Clooney Explains Why He'll Never Dye His Gray Hair or Go Under the Knife
- Kate Hudson and Derek Hough Fuel Dating Rumors With U2 Concert PDA
- 'Bachelor' Chris Soules and Whitney Bischoff Call Off Their Engagement
- Tom Hardy Perfectly Shuts Down a Reporter Who Asks a Sexist Question About 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
- Lindsay Lohan Is Finally Off Probation After Eight Years
- More From ET