January 15th, 1974. It was on this cold winter day (cold, because it was pre-global warming) 35 years ago that the American public was introduced to Richie Cunningham, Fonzie, Potsie, and the rest of the gang of Happy Days. A simple family sitcom, the Gary Marshall-created program would change the face of ABC, as well as television, for the ten years it was on the air, as well as beyond.Happy Days came at a time when the family comedy was going through an upheaval. Gone were the days of simple shows like Leave it to Beaver and The Dick Van Dyke Show. In its place were shows like All in the Family which turned the typical family comedy on its heels. With Vietnam, a poor economy, and Watergate all weighing down on Americans at that time, the introduction of Happy Days gave viewers a chance to remember and laugh at some simpler times.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Empire' Season 2 Spoilers: Can Lucious Keep Cookie Down?
- 'Arrow' Star Emily Bett Rickards: Felicity's a Hero and Kicking Ass
- 'The Voice' Season 9: Meet Blake Shelton's Team
- 'The Bastard Executioner' Recap: Can Lady Love Prove She's Pregnant?
- 'Scream Queens' Recap: Who is the Hag of Shady Lane?
- More From BuddyTV
- The 100 Video: Go Inside One of Clarke and Finn's Biggest Season 2 Scuffles
- Ratings: Scream Queens Slips Again
- Bones Sneak Peek: Booth Fights for Survival — Watch the Gross Video
- Sean Bean's Frankenstein Chronicles Miniseries Finds U.S. Home on A&E
- The Voice: Xtina Returning, Pharrell to Make It a Four-Peat for Season 10
- More From TVLine
- Ellen DeGeneres Surprises tWitch by Sharing the 'First Ultrasound' of His Baby
- Joe Giudice Opens Up About Teresa's Life Behind Bars: She's Really Not OK
- Justin Bieber Flaunts New Stomach Tattoo, Gets Another Excuse to Show Off His Washboard Abs
- Nicki Minaj Slams Miley Cyrus Over VMAs: You Don't Want to Know How Black Women Feel
- 'Gossip Girl' Shocker! You'll Never Guess Who Were Considered to Play Serena and Blair
- More From ET