"At 9, 'The Champ' came out," he said. "And that's when everything changed in my life." They showed a series of stills from his various projects, including 'Lonesome Dove,' which Schroder credited as a turning point in his career, along with 'NYPD Blue.' "In 'Lonesome Dove' I went from a boy to a man, literally, in the movie" he said.
While 'NYPD Blue' helped Schroder to be taken more seriously as an adult actor, he had the added burden of having to replace the popular Jimmy Smits on the show. "Jimmy Smits was so loved," he said, "and when I got cast as taking over after he left, um, I think a lot of the fans were kind of skeptical, and luckily, I won them over."
The 'Dollhouse' actress took to Twitter to make the announcement. "Hey guys! News to report~ We have mutually & AMICABLY decided to part ways on 'Bird Dog' due to creative differences. No worries/fears/tears."
Dushku was set to play the lead in the cop drama about a young police officer whose estranged father randomly shows up in her small town and becomes her partner.
According to Hollywood Reporter, TNT has confirmed the split.
In other casting news ...
• Adrianne Palicki will guest star on CBS's 'Criminal Minds.' The 'Friday Night Lights' star will play Sydney, a troubled woman who comes from a history of abuse. She and her lover get her kicks from drinking and killing people. [TV Guide]
• Nathan Fillion wants to be on 'Glee.' The 'Castle' star, no stranger to singing thanks to 'Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog,' wants to play a mean Broadway scout, and only sing a tiny bit on the hit Fox series. [Hollywood Reporter]
• 'NYPD Blue' star Rick Schroder has landed a role in Lifetime's 'Meet Jane' pilot. Schroder will play the husband to Molly Parker's Jane. The project follows Jane, an unhappy mother of two who is asked to spy on her husband by the FBI. [Deadline Hollywood]
According to the Huffington Post, Obama will sit down with Seacrest for an 'On Air with Ryan Seacrest' segment. The interview will air at 7:15AM PT in Los Angeles.
In other TV news ...
• 'NYPD Blue' veteran Rick Schroder will guest star on 'No Ordinary Family.' Schroder's character gets saved by Jim (Michael Chiklis) and the two become friends. The role is only for one episode, but could be expanded. [TV Guide]
• Beyonce has directed her own concert special to air on ABC. The 90 minute movie will air on ABC this Thanksgiving. [Vulture]
• Jonathan Wald has been tapped to executive produce 'Piers Morgan Tonight.' Wald, former producer of 'Today' and 'Nightly News' will helm the new show premiering in January 2011. [Deadline Hollywood]
"I've got a career. I can't just leave. We have all these responsibilities," Schroder initially said of his wife's idea to relocate his entire family to Spain. "And then I went to see the movie 'Up.' And, literally, I'm sitting there with my daughter, my youngest ... and I'm thinking, 'I can't be that guy who didn't let her have her dream of going to Spain and living overseas.'"
Watch the video after the jump.
It's quite a feat for Bateman to have come this far, as the list of former child stars is littered with tales of drug abuse, DUIs, anorexia, obscurity and death. And then there are those who pop up in the news for doing random things, such as Soleil Moon Frye resurrecting Punky Brewster to celebrate her massive Twitter following.
But why dwell on the negative and the bizarre? Here's a list of 10 formerly famous tykes who bucked the odds and emerged from childhood TV stardom -- often after long periods in which they took time off or struggled to find work -- and became famous adults in their own right. We couldn't be more proud.
Is it just me, or does the phrase "A Sci Fi Original" kind of make you cringe? They use it a lot when promoting the very special Saturday night movies, and let's be honest, a lot of them are really bad. Rick Schroder is hoping to change all that. He's signed on with RHI Entertainment to direct Hellhounds. Scott Elrod gets the starring role. He'll play Kleitos, a Greek warrior, who leads his men in a battle against the hellhounds of Hades in an effort to rescue his bride from the Underworld. It appears they nixed the idea to have S.S. Doomtrooper make a cameo.
The gig makes a lot of sense for Schroder. He's been slowly building up his directing resume with music videos and the feature Black Cloud. He also has a long history with RHI. They were the ones behind Lonesome Dove. I don't know if it's resentment over the cancellation of Stargate Atlantis, or if I have finally just seen one too many bad movies on Sci Fi Saturday, but I have trouble giving this one the benefit of the doubt. The best thing I can say about it at this point is that it sounds like a better idea than Aztec Rex, but then, that's not saying a whole lot. That said, I'll still probalby end up watching it. I just can't look away from Sci Fi Saturday. So here's hoping Schroder can buck the trend.
Of his new 24 character, Schroder said, "He's very physical and he likes to get information from people by any means necessary." Maybe, in the height of irony, we'll see Schroder's character -- a younger version of Jack Bauer -- using a silver spoon as an interrogation tool.
I'm just hopeful that the Doyle character won't be as wooden as Chase Edmunds, Jack's useless sidekick from 24's season three.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- David Beckham may be coming to L.A. even sooner than originally planned.
- This is awkward: Rick Schroder wants us to start calling him "Ricky" again.
- CBS and YouTube teamed up to give everyone a shot at 15 seconds of fame. Will someone please say something original? Anyone?
Ricky has made another great career move - further distancing himself from that plucky young lad in The Champ. He'll be joining the cast of 24 as CTU operative Mike Doyle. Expect to see Schroder team up with Kiefer Sutherland's Jack Bauer in executing "key field ops." 24 is really pulling out all the stops with its latest casting decisions. Schroder is just one of a list of fancy new cast members including Chad Lowe, Regina King, Powers Boothe, Peter MacNicol, James Cromwell, Kal Penn and David Hunt. That's right - Deadwood's Cy Tolliver meets Babe's Father Hoggett meets The Boondocks' Huey Freeman meets Kumar. Who doesn't want to see that?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Big Brother 17' Week 5: Vanessa's 2nd HoH Photos
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Who Won the Week 6 HoH Competition?
- 'Big Brother 17' Recap: Jason vs. Becky and the Twins Enter the Game
- 'Once Upon a Time' Interview: Emilie de Ravin and Robert Carlyle Tease Emma Needing Help, Gold's Status and More
- 'Teen Wolf': Why Stiles and Lydia are Perfect Together
- More From BuddyTV