Andi was right about Sam; he's getting darker for the world he's trapped in. His machinations tonight with the Devil's shut-in "girlfriend" Sandy were downright diabolical. Sure, his ultimate goal of taking down the Devil and freeing himself is noble, but is he willing to do too much to get out of it? Not that I really see a more pure approach working. In fact, I've always wondered just how much the Devil knows. I would think he knows everything that Sam does, even when Sam's trying to betray him or undercut him in some way. Hell, he's the Devil. He's probably proud of him when that happens.
(S01E05) "Lookin' sharp, Buffy, lookin' sharp." - Devil to Sam while he was holding a wooden stake
Season two of Reaper continues to entertain: it's funny, smart and unexpected, while still delivering all the things we loved about Reaper in season one. From using Sam's zombie dad to scare the poop out of Ben in the car, to the tongue-in-cheek shout-out to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this episode delivered.
One thing this episode did suffer from, though, is something I feared. Because they've introduced so many characters, we only saw a brief bit of them this week (and we didn't see Nina at all), and I was left wanting more of some. I guess we got a good fill of the dad, and it was so great to have demon Tony back. But I missed Nina, and I craved more Morgan. I'm wondering, too, if Kristen will end up being more than a bizarre sex symbol for Sock.
(S02E04) Reaper pulled it out again with another winner of an episode. Something tells me they know exactly what they are doing this season, and I'm loving every second of it.
Although I enjoyed the addition of Morgan, the Devil's other son, very much, I was getting a bit irritated that they kept introducing new characters -- Kristen, Nina, Morgan -- and just left the whole storyline with Sam's dad floating out there. I was getting nervous that they didn't really know what to do with it, so they were just going to drop it and hope we didn't remember. Well, they got back to it tonight, and I can't wait to see it all come together.
But we'll get to that later. Let's talk about the rest of the episode first...
(S01E17) All things considered, this has been a pretty good week for Reaper. In light of the very real possibility that next week's season finale could have been a series finale, news that the show has been picked up for next season is cause for celebration. Sure, the thirteen episodes for mid-season part isn't ideal, but hey, gift horses and whatnot. I am already looking forward to a Reaper/Supernatural block on Thursday nights. And hey, there was a new episode too. There was a lot going on, but the big news was that after months of patience, there is finally some news on the contract. That, and the rest of the episode, after the jump.
(S01E15) "I'm going to rebuild the army... Pass the paprika." - Tony
Finally, the season-long game of Sam trying to hide his demon hunting gig from Andi comes to a head. It was a welcome event in my little corner of TV land. I had taken issue with their relationship early in the season as it started to feel like we were in a rut and watching the same scene play out over and over. These last two weeks with the two of them together have done a lot to repair that chink in the Reaper armor. But wait, would finding out about Sam's special gift send us right back into that old familiar loop? Ours is not to spoil above the fold, so read on for thoughts on that, and a boatload of other goings on down by the 'Bench.
(S01E08) There are a few cheap and easy ways to buy me off as a viewer, and one of them is fun stunt casting. Bringing in Mitch Pileggi to play a washed up super cop that presents an obstacle for Sam is just such a thing. Really, that part of the episode alone was enough to sell me on this one. The fact that we also got a little something different from the devil, and a nice b-story with Sock and Ben and their quest to uncover Gladys was just a nice bonus. Of course, like my grandma always said, "Beware of writers bearing gifts." We paid for all of those fun things by once again being hit over the head with the Sam/Andi replay of the week.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Season 12: Top 18 Performance Rankings
- The Final Rose: Kaitlyn and Shawn's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- Best 'Pretty Little Liars' Quotes from 'FrAmed'
- 'MasterChef' Interview: Prowling the Kitchen with Stephen Lee
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 11 Finale Photos: Kaitlyn Says Yes!
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Items: Supergirl Villain Cast, Finding Carter Return Date and More
- John Legend Replaces Kanye West as Underground's Music Supervisor
- Trevor Noah on His 'Slightly Different' Daily Show and the 'Immense Pressure' to Make Jon Stewart Proud
- Unauthorized Full House Story: First Clip Pits 'Stamos' Against the Twins
- Jason Sudeikis Fronts Semi-Animated Fox Pilot From Lego Movie Duo
- More From TVLine
- 'Queen of Versailles' Star Victoria Siegel's Autopsy Shows She Died of Methadone and Sertraline Toxicity
- Nick Viall Talks 'Bachelorette' Breakup: 'Shawn Really Enjoys My Misfortune'
- Dentist Who Killed Cecil the Lion Apologizes to His Patients
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch Austin Steal a Kiss From Liz on 'Big Brother'
- Shakira Teaches Her Adorable 6-Month-Old Son Sasha How to Play Soccer
- More From ET