Andi was right about Sam; he's getting darker for the world he's trapped in. His machinations tonight with the Devil's shut-in "girlfriend" Sandy were downright diabolical. Sure, his ultimate goal of taking down the Devil and freeing himself is noble, but is he willing to do too much to get out of it? Not that I really see a more pure approach working. In fact, I've always wondered just how much the Devil knows. I would think he knows everything that Sam does, even when Sam's trying to betray him or undercut him in some way. Hell, he's the Devil. He's probably proud of him when that happens.
(S01E05) "Lookin' sharp, Buffy, lookin' sharp." - Devil to Sam while he was holding a wooden stake
Season two of Reaper continues to entertain: it's funny, smart and unexpected, while still delivering all the things we loved about Reaper in season one. From using Sam's zombie dad to scare the poop out of Ben in the car, to the tongue-in-cheek shout-out to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, this episode delivered.
One thing this episode did suffer from, though, is something I feared. Because they've introduced so many characters, we only saw a brief bit of them this week (and we didn't see Nina at all), and I was left wanting more of some. I guess we got a good fill of the dad, and it was so great to have demon Tony back. But I missed Nina, and I craved more Morgan. I'm wondering, too, if Kristen will end up being more than a bizarre sex symbol for Sock.
(S02E04) Reaper pulled it out again with another winner of an episode. Something tells me they know exactly what they are doing this season, and I'm loving every second of it.
Although I enjoyed the addition of Morgan, the Devil's other son, very much, I was getting a bit irritated that they kept introducing new characters -- Kristen, Nina, Morgan -- and just left the whole storyline with Sam's dad floating out there. I was getting nervous that they didn't really know what to do with it, so they were just going to drop it and hope we didn't remember. Well, they got back to it tonight, and I can't wait to see it all come together.
But we'll get to that later. Let's talk about the rest of the episode first...
(S01E17) All things considered, this has been a pretty good week for Reaper. In light of the very real possibility that next week's season finale could have been a series finale, news that the show has been picked up for next season is cause for celebration. Sure, the thirteen episodes for mid-season part isn't ideal, but hey, gift horses and whatnot. I am already looking forward to a Reaper/Supernatural block on Thursday nights. And hey, there was a new episode too. There was a lot going on, but the big news was that after months of patience, there is finally some news on the contract. That, and the rest of the episode, after the jump.
(S01E15) "I'm going to rebuild the army... Pass the paprika." - Tony
Finally, the season-long game of Sam trying to hide his demon hunting gig from Andi comes to a head. It was a welcome event in my little corner of TV land. I had taken issue with their relationship early in the season as it started to feel like we were in a rut and watching the same scene play out over and over. These last two weeks with the two of them together have done a lot to repair that chink in the Reaper armor. But wait, would finding out about Sam's special gift send us right back into that old familiar loop? Ours is not to spoil above the fold, so read on for thoughts on that, and a boatload of other goings on down by the 'Bench.
(S01E08) There are a few cheap and easy ways to buy me off as a viewer, and one of them is fun stunt casting. Bringing in Mitch Pileggi to play a washed up super cop that presents an obstacle for Sam is just such a thing. Really, that part of the episode alone was enough to sell me on this one. The fact that we also got a little something different from the devil, and a nice b-story with Sock and Ben and their quest to uncover Gladys was just a nice bonus. Of course, like my grandma always said, "Beware of writers bearing gifts." We paid for all of those fun things by once again being hit over the head with the Sam/Andi replay of the week.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- [Video] 'The Tomorrow People' Sneak Peek: John's Tortured by Ultra
- Best 'Agents of SHIELD' Quotes from 'The Bridge'
- 2014 SAG Award Nominations: 'Breaking Bad,' '30 Rock,' 'The Big Bang Theory' and 'Modern Family' Lead TV
- [Video] 'Arrow' Sneak Peek: Oliver Takes on Slade in an Epic Fight
- 'Sons of Anarchy' S6 Finale Recap: A Happy Ending Turns Gruesome
- More From BuddyTV
- TV ratings: 'Victoria's Secret' steady for CBS Tuesday and 'Chicago Fire' hits series high in viewers
- 'Doctor Who' Christmas special trailer: 'If you want my life, come and get it'
- 'Agents of SHIELD': The cast's 20 best live tweets during 'The Bridge'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Season 6 finale: Maggie Siff, Kurt Sutter and Katey Sagal on shocking death
- 'The Voice's' James Wolpert talks elimination: 'This is not a setback'
- More From Zap2it
- Exclusive: Arrow Casts Prison Break Baddie Robert Knepper as DC Villain [Spoiler]
- Showtime's Episodes Renewed for Season 4
- Exclusive: Guy Pearce to Orbit Sean Saves the World as New Love Interest for Sean
- Hot Video: Doctor Who's Christmas Special Trailer Declares, 'Eleven's Hour Is Over Now'
- Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. Eyes New Low, Chicago Fire Hits a High, Victoria's Secret Tops Tuesday
- More From TVLine