Stiller, though, teased the British Academy of Film and Television Arts in his acceptance speech, saying that at first he thought BAFTA stood for Black Astronaut Flight Training Association. He went on to say that when first advised of the British honor he would be receiving, he thought he would be knighted "for a few giddy days."
Finally, somebody said to me, Ben it's an awards show and it's gonnna be broadcast on the TV Guide channel. And I said, Say no more," Stiller said. "You had me at broadcast."
But, here's hoping the movie's success leads some folks back to rediscover the single greatest production of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's short stories -- the Granada and PBS Sherlock Holmes series of the 80s.
To most Holmes fans, Jeremy Brett (right) was the perfect actor playing the role he was born to fill. He had the look, the voice and the mannerisms most readers envisioned when reading "The Red Headed League" or "The Speckled Band."
There's a forecast of the weekend's box office and it looks pretty darn good, for Hollywood's sake. Expect the other-worldly success of 'Avatar' to continue, along with strong showings for 'Alvin and the Chipmunks: the Squeakuel' and 'Sherlock Holmes.' Inside Movies deduces a strong $350 total box office 'Avatar' by the end of the weekend. On the low end, a measly $4 mil for 'Nine.'
What's Hot on Inside Movies: 'Star Trek' Sequel, Mel Gibson Provokes Protest, Robert Downey Jr. a New Sex Symbol
This year we said goodbye to one of the greatest names in musical history, Michael Jackson, but we'll never forget the impact he made on the world. The National Film Registry is making sure of this as they selected 'Thriller' as the first music video ever to be preserved.
First, check out the overview of all the nominees, then don't forget to see our extensive coverage and analysis of specific categories.
We also round up stars' reactions to the nominations and one critic looks at the process and influence of the Globes on the Academy Awards.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, Monaghan and O'Donnell will be accompanied by actor Ken Howard, who is the president of SAG, when the nominations are read at the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood.
TNT, along with its affiliated websites TNT.tv and TBS.com, will live-stream the announcement as well.
Well, Apple didn't take my suggestion to replace Microsoft as the new sponsor of Seth MacFarlane's comedy special. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle stepped up. Actually, it's Warner Bothers Pictures' Sherlock Holmes that'll sponsor the MacFarlane variety special.
Microsoft backed out of Family Guy Presents: Seth & Alex's Almost Live Comedy Show when they caught a run through of the program and objected to the humor. Goodness only knows what they thought they were getting with Seth, but it's all water under the bridge now.
- I don't really understand this whole Twilight phenomenon, but I'm pretty sure the success of those damn glittery vampires is directly proportional to the huge boner America seems to have for American Idol contestant Adam Lambert. Anyway, if that's the sort of thing you're into, I have one word for you: TwiCon!
- I originally heard this story on NPR (what's up, NPR name-dropping nerd?) and thought it was fascinating. I want the movie to be good, but the trailers haven't exactly been setting my world on fire. Read Cinematical's review of The Soloist and see if it's worth checking out.
- Regardless of how good or bad The Soloist is, I'll still love Robert Downey, Jr. Cinematical Seven takes a look at Underrated Robert Downey, Jr. movies.
- I'm really interested in seeing The Carter, the Lil' Wayne documentary. My interest has only grown since I've heard that Lil Wayne wants to block The Carter's release. Perhaps that was his plan all along? Well played, Master Wayne.
- Jamie Foxx playing Mike Tyson in a biopic? Okay, I'm in.
Broadcast producers and newspaper editors -- who weren't busy safeguarding their pensions and 401Ks by burying what's left of them in the desert -- cast their votes in the AP's annual Entertainer of the Year Poll. The honors went to 30 Rock star and SNL lifeguard Tina Fey.
It's really the no-brainer choice. Sharon Eberson, entertainment editor for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, told the wire service, "She gave us funny when we really needed it and, in a year when women in politics were making huge strides, Fey stood out in the world of entertainment."
- The excitement for Watchmen continues to grow. Check out the latest trailer.
- Writing for this site, I've had to deal with my share of rabid spoilerphobes. This video right here? It's enough to make their heads explode: 100 movie spoilers in 4 minutes.
- The cute, indie Nick and Norah with their playlists and their hoodies wasn't the first Nick and Nora(h) to grace the big screen. Cinematical takes a look back at the Nick and Nora who started it all, from The Thin Man.
- I had completely forgotten that Chris Cornell did the theme for Casino Royale. Yikes. See if your favorite is on the Cinematical (Double-O) Seven list of best Bond theme songs.
- I'm very curious about the upcoming Guy Ritchie-directed Sherlock Holmes. Jude Law, Robert Downey Jr.? Count me in. Find out more from Cinematical's set visit.
Now that the so-so 33rd season is over, I like to pretend everyone at SNL has kicked aside all the beach time and BBQ invites to plan something exciting for their return. Picking good hosts is an important part of having a successful season, so I've compiled my own list of nine people that must host, just in case SNL decides to re-work the entire show based on blog responses. I'm just covering all my bases, all right?
Since I have kids and a job, I don't get to see many movies in the theaters these days unless it's a crappy kids movie. Generally if I want to see grown up movie I have to rent the DVD. In some cases, the movie is such a blockbuster that watching it at home defeats the purpose.
Luckily once in a while a film is released that I want to see and I can also take my kids. Iron Man is one of those films.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Revenge' Recap: Nolan Helps Louise Take Down Her Mother
- 'The Real Housewives of Atlanta' Recap: Peter and Kordell Flirt with Claudia
- 2015 SAG Awards Live Blog: Complete List of Winners
- 'Downton Abbey' Recap: An Explosive Dinner Party and More Police Questions
- [Video] 'Supernatural' Preview: Charlie Is Back (and She's Bad)
- More From BuddyTV
- Reality Check: Debate Erupts Over American Idol's Week 3 Auditions! Plus — Advice for Randy's Replacement
- Revenge Recap: Is [Spoiler] Dead? Plus: Let's Discuss That Tragic Kiss
- Sons of Liberty: Was the Premiere of History's Miniseries Revolutionary?
- Downton Abbey Recap: Guess Who's Coming to (Ruin) Dinner
- Galavant: Two Takes on Season 1, Including the Mildly 'Meh' Finale
- More From TVLine
- SAG Awards 2015: The Best, the Worst and the Most Awkward Moments
- Sofia Vergara Shows Off Huge Ring, Talks Engagement: 'I'm Excited About the Future!'
- Miss Colombia, Paulina Vega, Crowned Miss Universe!
- SAG Awards 2015: Uzo Aduba and 'Orange Is the New Black' Cast Defeat 'Modern Family'!
- Emma Stone's SAG Awards Dress Almost Killed Naomi Watts
- More From ET