March 4, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 13th 2010 4:00PM
Normally, you'd think it odd to spotlight a series that lasted four seasons in a column like 'Gone Too Soon.' But 'Soap' was a different kind of series. Like the soap operas it was mocking, it was a premise that could have gone on for years and years. In fact, there's no reason to imagine that it couldn't still be on today.
From 1977 to 1981, Susan Harris crafted what would become a timeless comedy classic for ABC. But despite high ratings throughout its run, 'Soap' would only see four seasons, abruptly ending on a slew of cliffhangers that have frustrated fans for decades.
Despite that, the stellar cast and writing have stood the test of time in a way very few television series can, even if the wardrobes haven't. 'Soap' is as relevant and hilarious today as it was more than thirty years ago now. It deserved a longer life, and both the series and its fans deserved a true ending to Harris' brilliant vision.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- [Video] 'Criminal Minds' Sneak Peek: The BAU Goes to Prison to Find an UnSub
- 7 Times 'The 100' Destroyed (and Then Restored) My Faith in Humanity
- 'Survivor: Worlds Apart' Prediction: Who Will Go Home in Week 2?
- 'American Idol' Predictions: Which 4 Guys are Going Home?
- 'The Bachelor' Family Blogs: Reactions to the Women Tell All
- More From BuddyTV
- Last Man On Earth's Kristen Schaal on Phil and Carol's Wedding Plans — Plus: Watch Their Raisin-Ball 'Feast'!
- Darren Star Reflects on Creating 90210, Sex and the City in AOL's Inspired Series
- The Voice Recap: Suspense & Disbelief
- Mindy Project Recap: A Nut, Busted
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Spring Premiere Recap: Oh, the Inhumanity!
- More From TVLine
- Adam Levine's Reaction to a 10-Year-Old Fan with Down Syndrome Will Make You Love Him Even More
- 2015 MTV Movie Awards: ‘Guardians of the Galaxy,' ‘Fault in Our Stars' Lead Nominees
- The Morning After: Get Your Exclusive First Look at VH1's ‘Walk of Shame Shuttle'
- Taylor Swift Grants Terminally Ill 4-Year-Old's Final Wish
- Spanish Actress Fakes Instagram Persona by Photoshopping Other Stars' Pics
- More From ET