May 26, 2015
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 13th 2010 4:00PM
Normally, you'd think it odd to spotlight a series that lasted four seasons in a column like 'Gone Too Soon.' But 'Soap' was a different kind of series. Like the soap operas it was mocking, it was a premise that could have gone on for years and years. In fact, there's no reason to imagine that it couldn't still be on today.
From 1977 to 1981, Susan Harris crafted what would become a timeless comedy classic for ABC. But despite high ratings throughout its run, 'Soap' would only see four seasons, abruptly ending on a slew of cliffhangers that have frustrated fans for decades.
Despite that, the stellar cast and writing have stood the test of time in a way very few television series can, even if the wardrobes haven't. 'Soap' is as relevant and hilarious today as it was more than thirty years ago now. It deserved a longer life, and both the series and its fans deserved a true ending to Harris' brilliant vision.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- The 15 Best Returning Shows of Summer 2015
- Meet the Top 22 of 'MasterChef' Season 6
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Interview: Sasha Pieterse on Charles, the 'Darkest Season' Yet and More
- Casting Bits: 'Heroes Reborn' Adds 'Orphan Black' Actor, Matthew Goode Leaves 'Good Wife' and Max Greenfield Joins 'AHS: Hotel'
- [Videos] 'America's Got Talent' Season 10 Premiere Preview: Explosives, Makeovers and Make Outs
- More From BuddyTV
- Aquarius: David Duchovny, Cast Talk 'Tragic' Charles Manson Drama
- American Idol's Clark Beckham Talks 'Sunday Morning' Chords, Police Lyrics, His Big Battle With Scott Borchetta
- TVLine Items: Seacrest Plays Host Again, Critics' Choice Honorees & More
- Bones Sneak Peek: Booth and Brennan Take Time Apart... In Separate Homes!
- Amy Schumer, the Next Bachelorette? ABC Wants Her, and So Do We
- More From TVLine
- Top 10 Scandals of 2015 So Far
- Kylie Jenner Almost Flashes Her Boobs in Sexy Summer Photoshoot
- Chrissy Teigen's Topless Shoot Hits 'DuJour' -- See the NSFW Photos!
- Jonathan Rhys Meyers Apologizes for 'Minor Relapse'
- 'Saturday Night Live' Star Sasheer Zamata Dishes on Her Not So Friendly Meeting With Rihanna After Impersonating Her
- More From ET