New Year's Eve. A time to celebrate, get poop-faced drunk, reflect on the last year and the new one to follow, and get even more drunk as you see the daunting task ahead. It is, or was, also a time for an annual tradition that, whether you were stone-cold sober or falling down drunk, was a regular part of your celebrating.
Until his stroke in 2004, Dick Clark counted down the remaining seconds of the current year with millions of others during his annual New Year's Rockin' Eve specials, first on NBC (1972 and 73), then on ABC. In the beginning, most of the show was live. But as the years moved on, only the Times Square performances would go out live while many other performances would be pre-taped (remember that episode of Friends?). In it's most recent incarnation, Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve With Ryan Seacrest (God, what an awful title), there's a lot more performance and a lot less celebration.
I dunno...couldn't they have come up with something snappier? Like maybe Dick and Ryan's New Year's Rockin' Eve ... oh never mind.
Anyway, it's old news that Ryan Seacrest has been co-hosting the show for the past three years with Dick Clark, who suffered a stroke several years ago. But now Seacrest has his name in the title, so I guess it's official.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Glee' Quotes from 'The Hurt Locker, Part 2'
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.14 Photos: A Case Causes Tony to Flashback to His Days in Military School
- 'Grey's Anatomy': The 15 Most Bizarre Medical Cases
- 'Reign' Episode 2.13 Photos: Will Mary and Francis Reunite at the Winter's Ease Feast?
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Photos
- More From BuddyTV
- Report: E! Docuseries Will Capture Bruce Jenner's Transition to Woman
- Performer of the Week: Kerry Washington
- TVLine Mixtape, Parenthood Edition: Your Fave Songs From All 6 Seasons
- Ratings: Shark Tank Slips, Dixie Drops, CBS and NBC Dramas Tick Down
- Pilots: CBS Adds David Shore/Bryan Cranston Drama, James Patterson Riff
- More From TVLine
- Bobbi Kristina Brown Reportedly Placed on Ventilator, Drug Overdose Suspected (Updated)
- Justin Timberlake Is 'Getting the Greatest Gift Ever': A Baby
- Star Sightings
- Helen Mirren, Jerry Seinfeld & Tom Hanks Ride the Subway -- Just Like You
- These 15 Seconds of Neil Patrick Harris Will Make You Excited for His Variety Show
- More From ET