New Year's Eve. A time to celebrate, get poop-faced drunk, reflect on the last year and the new one to follow, and get even more drunk as you see the daunting task ahead. It is, or was, also a time for an annual tradition that, whether you were stone-cold sober or falling down drunk, was a regular part of your celebrating.
Until his stroke in 2004, Dick Clark counted down the remaining seconds of the current year with millions of others during his annual New Year's Rockin' Eve specials, first on NBC (1972 and 73), then on ABC. In the beginning, most of the show was live. But as the years moved on, only the Times Square performances would go out live while many other performances would be pre-taped (remember that episode of Friends?). In it's most recent incarnation, Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve With Ryan Seacrest (God, what an awful title), there's a lot more performance and a lot less celebration.
I dunno...couldn't they have come up with something snappier? Like maybe Dick and Ryan's New Year's Rockin' Eve ... oh never mind.
Anyway, it's old news that Ryan Seacrest has been co-hosting the show for the past three years with Dick Clark, who suffered a stroke several years ago. But now Seacrest has his name in the title, so I guess it's official.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Quest' Premiere Episode Photos
- The Final Rose: Josh and Andi's Fairytale Journey on 'The Bachelorette'
- 'The Bachelorette' Season 10 Finale Photos: The Final Rose
- 'The Bachelor' Season 19: Who Will Be the Next Bachelor?
- 'Once Upon a Time' Casts 'Frozen' Characters Prince Hans and Pabbie the Troll King
- More From BuddyTV
- The Originals' Claire Holt Joins NBC Drama Aquarius as Series Regular
- TV Land Cancels Kirstie Alley Sitcom Kirstie After One Season
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine Season 2 Poster Promises Same Shift on a Different Day — Plus: An 'Artsy' Photo Shoot Video
- Will iZombie 'Out-Gore' Walking Dead? Is Veronica Mars Crossover Inevitable?
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams on Lady Stoneheart, 'Snobby' Book Readers and Her New Movie Heatstroke
- More From TVLine
- Rob Lowe for Shark Week—This is the Most Badass Video You'll See All Day!
- Watch Out New York – There's a Sharknado Coming!
- Elizabeth Banks Doesn't Want You to Be Ashamed of Sex
- 'The Bachelorette' Reveals Sappy Concession Letter from Runner-Up
- Exclusive: See Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber in Jail Together
- More From ET