New Year's Eve. A time to celebrate, get poop-faced drunk, reflect on the last year and the new one to follow, and get even more drunk as you see the daunting task ahead. It is, or was, also a time for an annual tradition that, whether you were stone-cold sober or falling down drunk, was a regular part of your celebrating.
Until his stroke in 2004, Dick Clark counted down the remaining seconds of the current year with millions of others during his annual New Year's Rockin' Eve specials, first on NBC (1972 and 73), then on ABC. In the beginning, most of the show was live. But as the years moved on, only the Times Square performances would go out live while many other performances would be pre-taped (remember that episode of Friends?). In it's most recent incarnation, Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve With Ryan Seacrest (God, what an awful title), there's a lot more performance and a lot less celebration.
I dunno...couldn't they have come up with something snappier? Like maybe Dick and Ryan's New Year's Rockin' Eve ... oh never mind.
Anyway, it's old news that Ryan Seacrest has been co-hosting the show for the past three years with Dick Clark, who suffered a stroke several years ago. But now Seacrest has his name in the title, so I guess it's official.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Breaking Amish': Meet the new cast heading to Los Angeles
- 'Teen Wolf': Fireflies, Stiles and death by virgin sacrifice
- 'The Bachelorette': Bryden has doubts; Hurricane Sandy couple brings James and Dez closer
- 'The Voice' recap: The Top 3 take the stage one last time
- John Hurt infected with 'The Strain,' joins Guillermo del Toro's FX pilot
- More From Zap2it
- Mistresses Recap: Yikes! Someone Actually Said, 'The Worst Is Over'
- Report: The Client List Renewal Held Up By Backstage Debate Over Baby-Daddy Drama
- The Voice Season 4 'Live Finals' Recap: Who Should (and Will) Win It All?
- FX's The Strain Pilot Adds Merlin's John Hurt
- TVLine Items: Showtime's Sexy New Trailer, Another Lost Reunion Hits Hawaii and More!
- More From TVLine