In the glory days of the Saturday morning cartoon, translated to be from about 1966 to sometime in the 80s, a handful of studios dominated the network schedules from year to year. Eventually, names like Hanna-Barbera, Sid & Marty Kroftt, DePatie-Freeleng and Rankin-Bass became as common to see on the screen as the characters they created. Add to that list an animation and live-action studio that presented two faces: one of quality storytelling, characters and imagination, and another of mass-produced, limited animation.
I speak of Filmation Studios. From 1966 to 1988, this studio produced dozens of cartoons and live action series and paved the way for a number of genres that are still remembered to this day. It also gave us a number of talented artists and writers that went on to bigger and better things. Today, we take a look at this studio, which gave us The Archies, Jason of Star Command and He-Man.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Biggest Loser' Season 16: Before and After Photos
- 'Project Runway: All Stars' Season 4: Ranking the Looks of 'Always the Bridesmaid'
- [Video] 'American Idol' One Singer to Watch: Tyanna Jones' Imperfections Stand Out
- [Videos] 'Glee': Klaine Gets Stuck in an Elevator
- Best 'Scandal' Quotes from the Mid-Season Premiere
- More From BuddyTV
- Celebrity Apprentice Sneak Peek: Does Kenya Moore Call Vivica A. Fox Fat?
- Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Nashville, Supergirl, Castle, Flash, Supernatural, Forever, Grey's, NCIS, Jane and More!
- Idina Menzel to Star in Happy Time Comedy from Ellen DeGeneres
- Was Parenthood's Ending Too Happy? Can Elizabeth Jennings Best Arrow? How'd Olivia Frizz Out? And More Qs!
- Mindy Project Bids Adieu to Adam Pally With Peter's Top 3 Moments
- More From TVLine
- Sherri Shepherd's Surrogate: Sherri Acts Like the Baby is Non-Existent
- Why David Beckham Shouldn't Be Embarrassed by His Super Bowl Ad--Or Think of Himself as Chubby
- Shakira and Gerard Pique Welcome Baby No. 2
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Stars Open Up About Filming in the Red Room
- Star Sightings
- More From ET