Created by Diablo Cody ('Juno'), the show scored six Emmy wins earlier this year, including Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series for Toni Collette. If anyone can play four personalities in the same body, it's Collette. And scoring a part like this must be like striking gold for an actress. Here's a little primer on the many faces of Tara:
"You know you have to leave the village for a decent screw." - Midge, when asked by a friend where she met Don
So Don gets stoned ("I feel like Dorothy, and everything just turned to color" - must have been his first time) with Midge and her hip beatnik friends and has a flashback of meeting a hobo when he was a kid. That was just one of the revealing moments in this episode, which was really about parties. Midge throws a party with her friends, and Don shows up smokes weed with them. Peggy and the girls and the guys from the office go to P.J. Clarke's to dance and drink (Pete goes too, the hell with helping his wife move into the new apartment), and Sal meets Elliot, one of the sales reps for the lipstick company, at a bar. Elliot makes a play for him (yes, readers, your instincts were correct), but Sal is too scared to do anything about it and just leaves after several drinks.
"It was interesting...like watching a dog trying to play the piano." - ad guy Fred, about Peggy's great lipstick ideas.
Someone sent me an e-mail after last week's episode, and the person said that they didn't like Mad Men because "nothing ever happens." I disagree with this statement strongly, but I know what they mean. Nothing ever happens in the sense that there aren't any cliffhangers before each commercial, there aren't any explosions or murders, and there isn't some incredible event that pushes the show in another direction for the next episode. But to say that "nothing every happens" as a general statement about each episode is proof, I think, that we've been conditioned to expect all shows to be the same, and if they have a different pace then it's "boring" or "nothing ever happens."
If Mad Men is boring, then all shows should be this boring.
Fans of Standoff, the FOX hostage negotiator drama starring Ron Livingston and Rosemarie DeWitt, were worried when it was announced that the show was moving to Fridays. Now here's more to be concerned about: the show isn't returning at all until the summer.
It was supposed to return in April, but FOX has decided the show won't be back until after the network announces its fall schedule in May. I wonder how this will affect their decision, since the show has been on hiatus for a while and they're not going to know what the summer numbers are until, well, the show airs in the summer. They insist the show isn't canceled, but this can't be seen as a "good" sign, that's for sure. It got pretty good numbers when it was on.
For the record, I thought the show was so-so.
(S01E04) I hate it when TV shows or movies are really "predictable" in how "unpredictable" they are. Case in point, tonight's Standoff. Have I just been watching too much television the past 40 years or were the two "twists" at the start of this episode pretty easy to guess? Yeah, it was kinda obvious that the first team assault on the house was just a training exercise, and it was equally obvious that the girl was in on the bank thefts with the serial bank robber, just wearing different wigs.
That's not to say that there are worse ways to kill an hour than watching Standoff. This was actually the best episode so far.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Vampire Diaries' Episode 6.17 Photos: Caroline's Got a Gun
- 'Revenge' Episode 4.16 Photos: Natalie Brings David as Her Fourth of July Party Date
- 'Scandal' Episode 4.15 Photos: Will David Take Down the White House and OPA?
- 'American Idol' Season 14: Top 12 Guys Performance Rankings
- 'Grey's Anatomy': The 11 Most Gut-Wrenching Cases
- More From BuddyTV
- Glee's Jane Lynch Talks Michael Bolton, 'Samchel' and the Series''Fitting' End
- Daredevil on Netflix: Matt Murdock's Official Character Poster Unveiled
- Pilot Scoop: Community's Danny Pudi to Headline NBC Comedy Strange Calls
- Supergirl Scoop: Grey's Anatomy Vet Chyler Leigh Cast as Kara's Sis
- Pilot Scoop: Joan Allen Joins ABC Thriller From Scandal/Grey's Vet
- More From TVLine
- Kanye West & Kim Kardashian Build Palatial Playground for Daughter North
- Watch Kim Kardashian and Taylor Swift Dance To Kanye West!
- Shailene Woodley Poses Topless for 'Glamour UK,' Talks ‘Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Dierks Bentley, Miranda Lambert Break Out the '90s Gear for Cover Band Show
- Beyonce Reveals Her Queen B Workout Routine
- More From ET