But there were several stars who attempted to duplicate the big O's success over the years, all starting with the naming standard no future host would dare to change: 'The [Insert Name of Host] Show.'
Though many managed to last more than a decade each (persistence paid off for Montel Williams, Ricki Lake, Geraldo Rivera and Jenny Jones), no other talk show host has made it to the quarter century mark.
To show you just how big a feat Oprah has accomplished, here's a list of 13 daytime talk shows that came and went during Oprah's tenure, a feature which could also be called Talk Shows that Oprah Killed.
I live in New York City in the East Village, and I saw you at Wigstock in Tompkins Square Park in the early '90s before you were really famous. You were selling your T-shirts and I wanted to talk to you, but I was too shy. Every time I see you on TV, I regret not going up to you and saying hello back then and telling you how great I thought you were.
That's so kind of you, but I hope that that's taught you a lesson in your life -- the shy story line doesn't work.
You're right. Shy doesn't get you anywhere. If I saw you now, I would approach you. I had just moved to New York back then, and I wasn't as bold as I am now.
It's time and experience. On the show, we go through that with the girls because a lot of times they're saying, "Well, the next time I'll be better," and I'm like, "Kiddo, this is it. This is your moment right here." Time taught me how to seize the moment and know when the universe is giving me a stage direction, and also to override the built-in saboteur that's standard equipment with my machine.
On the latest episode, Kris Jenner appeared as a guest judge on the show. Kris is the mom of Kim Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian and probably some other people who have the first letter "K" in their names as well. At any rate, Kris' appearance brought on a very "Kardashian"-themed episode of the program. Various fake "drag queens" paraded down the runway, looking for Kris' approval.
"You are a Kardashian, through and through," Kris said to one of the contestants. Oh, great. So that means that she's wearing too much makeup and a skanky outfit? Yay.
"The first real kiss that made my eyes roll back in my head and my knees lock was this 36-year-old man," he said. "I was 18-years-old and, I swear, my knees buckled. I was swept away and it was beautiful."
Watch the video after the jump.
This week, I talk to the Queen of the Internet, Cindy Margolis, and the Queen of ... well, queens, RuPaul. Both ladies are working it on reality TV -- the '90s pinup on dating show 'Seducing Cindy,' and the '90s 'Supermodel' songstress on season 2 of 'RuPaul's Drag Race.' Amazing.
To bring the show back to reality a bit, I also dig in to 'Lost.' (Hey -- I didn't say which reality.) If you haven't heard, we've got a brand spankin' new weekly show dedicated to the addictive, obsessive show I call my #1 favorite. And we're taking fan questions starting ... now.
Want more? Email me TV questions at TheTVShowGirl@aol.com -- please put INSTANT DHARMA in the subject line for all 'Lost' questions -- and I'll try to give you answers on the shows. -- By Maggie Furlong
9. Lee McDermott (Kevin Rahm), Desperate Housewives
8. Kevin Walker (Matthew Rhys), Brothers & Sisters
7. Dr. Arizona Robbins (Jessica Capshaw), Grey's Anatomy
6. Guy Branum, Chelsea Lately
5. Oscar Martinez (Oscar Nunez), The Office
4. RuPaul, RuPaul's Drag Race
3. Most of the people on the Bravo network
2. Lloyd (Rex Lee), Entourage
1. Much of the cast of The Real World: Brooklyn
Want to see the pictures or leave a comment? Click here.
RuPaul has said that the two shows aren't interchangeable and it's true: Drag Race is colorful, fun, and intriguing; qualities that Top Model has lost after all these years. Here are several good reasons why Top Model isn't on top anymore.
On the celeb front, the show's landed Diane Von Furstenberg, Sandra Bernhard, Apolo Ohno, Brooke Shields, LL Cool J, RuPaul, Rachel Zoe, Cynthia Rowley and Francisco Costa. I can see potential fireworks from Sandra B and RuPaul. The rest -- eh. I mean, really, is Brooke going to be critical? And have you seen how Apolo dresses?
A day hasn't gone by where we haven't received some sort of tip or email asking us, the TV Squad, how to get on [insert reality show here]. Unfortunately no, Simon Cowell does not work for us, and Donald Trump isn't my BFF, so we really can't help all that much.
The folks at RealityWanted.com often send us a list of new and existing reality shows that are looking for new, er, talent, and they've given us permission to make mention of them here. We'll try to make this a regular feature as often as we get a new list.
This time we have The Moment of Truth, Jingles and other new shows.
RuPaul's Drag Race, a new reality competition series helmed by the drag queen him/herself, has been greenlighted by MTV Networks' Logo, which targets lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender viewers, notes The Hollywood Reporter.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Bates Motel' Episode 2.3 Photos: Norma Expands Her Social Circle
- 'The Following' Season 2 Episode Photos
- 'Hannibal' Season 2 Episode Photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 18 Predictions: Who Will Win?
- 'The Real Housewives of New York City': Ramona Singer's Crazy, Catty and Clueless Quotes
- More From BuddyTV
- NBC finales 2014: Calendar for 'Community,''The Voice,''Hannibal' and more
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunners know how the series ends, promise 7 or 8 seasons
- 'Mind Games' Steve Zahn: 'Some things don't need to be fixed'
- Tom Bergeron leaving 'America's Funniest Home Videos'; HBO teases 'Veep' Season 3
- 'Chrisley Knows Best': Todd Chrisley lives by, 'You're only as sick as your secrets'
- More From Zap2it
- NBC Sets Season Finale Dates For The Blacklist, Community, Parenthood and More
- Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Bones, Grey's, Good Wife, Suits, PLL, Reign, New Girl and More
- Awkward Season 4 Trailer: Jenna and Matty Hit the Sheets — But Are They Back Together?
- Once Upon a Time First Look: A Wicked Midwife, the Return of [Spoiler], Sad Regina and More
- Exclusive Glee First Look: Kurt, Blaine and More Reunite in 100th Episode Promo Art
- More From TVLine