'Seeker' was having a tough time pulling in decent numbers for local stations associated with its distributor, Tribune Stations Group. Apparently, not even a steamy girl-on-girl kiss between 'Buffy' alum Charisma Carpenter and hottie Tabrett Bethell could generate enough interest to keep the show alive. A number of Tribune stations dropped 'Seeker' last month, and the networks have shown no interest in picking it up, leading to its cancellation.
Now is not a great time for action-oriented cult TV shows. With 'Seeker' on the chopping block and last year's cancellation of 'Stargate Atlantis,' it seems like the tube is being scrubbed clean of light, fun, geek-friendly series. It's definitely not the '90s anymore, when shows like Raimi and Robert Tapert's 'Hercules' and 'Xena' could go for six seasons. Let's hope one of the better action-packed shows to debut this year, Fox's 'Human Target,' can beat the current trend.
You gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. Me, I figured that there were three panels that could be put in what I call the "Comic-Con group": Spartacus on Starz, and Doctor Who and Being Human on BBC America. These shows got extensive showcases in San Diego over the weekend, and there wasn't many details revealed in any of these panels that you wouldn't have heard over the din at SDCC. So I'm going to go over the three of them in brief after the jump.
Let me give you a good teaser: If you were on the fence about seeing Spartacus, the prospect of a naked Lucy Lawless may convince you.
Everything about this trailer makes the show look amazing. Amazing costuming, good casting and dialogue. The effects style borrows heavily from the hyper-realism of 300, which adds a great dramatic flare. Damn, what more can I say? Just watch the thing and wait with bated breath until January like me.
- I'm always up for a good Dwight Schrute bobblehead, but a Terminator one? I'm not sure I really get the appeal there.
- I get more than enough of Evangeline Lily on Lost, so I'm definitely not sitting around wishing she was in more movies. However, she made the Cinematical Seven: TV Stars Who Should Be In More Movies (female edition) list. See who else made it over at Cinematical.
- Apparently fans have been up in arms about Jonah Hill remaking 21 Jump Street, saying that he was going to make it into a comedy. I loved 21 Jump Street, and I had no idea it wasn't a comedy already.
- I haven't seen Sam Raimi's newest horror flick, Drag Me To Hell yet, but I fully intend to. See what rating Cinematical readers are giving it.
- Cinematical is even suggesting you make it a double-feature weekend, seeing both Drag Me to Hell and Pixar's latest film, Up. Having seen Up, I highly recommend this. It is an amazing movie that will have you in tears throughout the entire thing (but was still really funny!).
My name is Danny ... and I am a slave.
As far as I can figure, I've been sitting here on my couch for 60 minutes, and my TV is trying to drag my eyeballs to their death.
It wasn't always like this. I had a real job with a real salary and real health expenses that would pay for glasses when my eyes were weakened by the incandescent glow of a television that could ruin the vision of a night owl.
My TV Squad editor sent my TV and I to a small network in the UHF channels. A producer had come to a remote cabin in the woods to create his latest reality show project, 13: Fear is Real. Bound in flashy camera tricks and dipped in sappy horror movie cliches, this reality show contained bizarre challenges, petty altercations, and a demonic, unoriginal mastermind who tortures and watches over all. It was never meant for the watching.
The producer released something dark on the network, something ... awful.
13 - Fear is Real premieres
The reality show aims to do for horror movies what Next Action Star did for action movies - rip them off and turn them into another schlock reality show that requires little to no creative ideas or thought.
- Freddy Krueger: Registered Offender. This Halloween, we take the time to reflect on what it would be like if a horribly-disfigured man who kills children in their dreams moves into your neighborhood.
- Not all Halloween movies have to be creepy; some are just ... unsettling. Check out the Cinematical Seven: Plain Old Creepy Flicks.
- Speaking of creepy, check out photos from the new Sam Raimi movie, Drag Me To Hell. They made my neck tingle ... in a bad way.
- Do you have an idea for your own Halloween movie (or any other film, for that matter)? If so, Details magazine wants to hear it. Find out how you can pitch them your idea and get your movie made.
- It may not be a horror movie, but it does open on Halloween and I am super-stoked: Zack and Miri Make a Porno finally opens! Check out Cinematical's interviews with Kevin Smith.
A day hasn't gone by where we haven't received some sort of tip or email asking us, the TV Squad, how to get on [insert reality show here]. Unfortunately no, Simon Cowell does not work for us, and Donald Trump isn't my BFF, so we really can't help all that much.
The folks at RealityWanted.com often send us a list of new and existing reality shows that are looking for new, er, talent, and they've given us permission to make mention of them here. We'll try to make this a regular feature as often as we get a new list.
This time we have Trading Spaces, The Newlywed Game and other new shows.
Raimi with co-executive produce the eight-episodes of 13 with a renown reality producer, Jay Bienstock (Survivor and The Apprentice). Also attached is Robert Tapert, Sam's Ghost House Productions partner.
Sam Raimi (Spider-Man) is teaming with ABC/Disney on 22 hour-long episodes chronicling Goodkind's The Sword of Truth eleven volume series, though the working title of the show appears to be the title of the first novel only: Wizard's First Rule. Intended for syndication, Rule will be the first major fantasy syndicated series since the likes of Hercules and Xena ruled the airwaves in the late '90s.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Glee' Quotes from 'The Hurt Locker, Part 2'
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.14 Photos: A Case Causes Tony to Flashback to His Days in Military School
- 'Grey's Anatomy': The 15 Most Bizarre Medical Cases
- 'Reign' Episode 2.13 Photos: Will Mary and Francis Reunite at the Winter's Ease Feast?
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Photos
- More From BuddyTV
- J.K. Simmons Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches!
- Report: E! Docuseries Will Capture Bruce Jenner's Transition to Woman
- Performer of the Week: Kerry Washington
- TVLine Mixtape, Parenthood Edition: Your Fave Songs From All 6 Seasons
- Ratings: Shark Tank Slips, Dixie Drops, CBS and NBC Dramas Tick Down
- More From TVLine