In this instance, Sam Waterston's Jack McCoy will be appearing on an episode of 'Law & Order: SVU.' Now, while Waterston has appeared on the show twice before in his office, this will be the very first time that District Attorney McCoy will show up in the SVU squad room. It will also be the first time that Waterston works with actor Christopher Meloni. It'll be interesting to see how these two characters react to each other.
This "very special episode" of 'Law & Order: SVU' premieres on April 28th with special guest star Sharon Stone.
Cast departures and changes within the 'Law & Order' franchise are are a dime a dozen these days. So much so that most fans tend not to notice when they occur. The exception is when a long-running cast member decides to step down. Fans take notice then because, frankly, there aren't too many more long-running cast members left in the franchise (except the amazingly stable group at 'Special Victims Unit.'
This time the honor goes to S. Epatha Merkerson, who plays Lieutenant Van Buren in the original 'Law & Order'. After 16 years, the actress has decided to leave the series at the end of this season.
(S01E01) I thought I had a good idea of what to expect going into this short series. I caught all of Showtime's Masters of Horror series, though its first season was terribly disappointing when you think of what you'd expect from the directors chosen. Masters of Science Fiction doesn't necessarily focus on the directors, basing the "master" part of the title on, well, anything that makes it a science fiction story. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Sam Waterston wants a promotion. For the last 13 years Waterston has played Assistant District Attorney Jack McCoy on the long-running (some say too long) NBC drama Law & Order. Now that co-star, and former U.S. Senator, Fred Thompson (who played District Attorney Arthur Branch) is leaving the show to run for president of the United States his job position is now open. And, it seems that Waterston's McCoy wants to move into the slot.
According to an anonymous source close to the show, Waterston is negotiating to have his character step into the D.A. role when Law & Order returns at the beginning of 2008. How McCoy would slip into the position, as well as his replacement, have yet to be determined. When asked to confirm this news L&O creator Dick Wolf as well as Waterston declined to comment.
This is the original Law & Order's 17th season and, even though it has reached legendary status as far as television series go, it is time for it to go. I think the Chevy Chase episode proved that. It feels tired and stale. There are way too many "ripped from the headlines" episodes and can anyone even keep track of who the main detectives are anymore? The series has gone through so many stars that it's getting hard to keep up. Plus, I think it became about "sexy" detectives and lawyers, rather than the original, more gritty characters played by Chris Noth, Paul Sorvino, Michael Moriarty, and Jerry Orbach.
Do you think Law & Order's time is up?
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Summer Projects: What Are Your Favorite TV Stars Up To?
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: Hurricane Clare Gains Strength and the First Elimination
- 'So You Think You Can Dance' Live Blog: The Top 16 Dance and Two Go Home
- 'Big Brother 17' Spoilers: Was the Power of Veto Used in Week 6?
- 'The 100' Season 3 Interview: Eliza Taylor Teases Clarke's 'Going to Be Losing Her Mind'
- More From BuddyTV
- Significant Mother: Did the New Cougar Comedy Leave You Hot or Bothered?
- Supergirl: Jenna Dewan-Tatum to Recur as Lucy Lane, Jimmy Olsen's Ex
- Game of Thrones: Bran's Mystical Guide Recast With Max von Sydow
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Cheeky Season 3 Poster Insists Size Does Matter
- The Last Man on Earth Season 2 Poster Offers First Glimpse of Phil and Carol's Road Trip to Nowhere
- More From TVLine
- Jenna Dewan Tatum Is Making Her Superhero Debut!
- 11 Times Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale Got Real About Their Marriage and Kids
- Virgin 'Bachelor' Star Says She Wants to Have Sex on 'Bachelor in Paradise'
- 'Fantastic Four' Star Kate Mara on Lack of Female Superheroes: 'Hopefully That'll Change'
- Stars Share Pics of Their Cute Kids
- More From ET