Let's not rehash that debate here. Let's simply pay tribute to Elisabeth Sladen, who proved in four decades' worth of terrific work on 'Doctor Who,' that women and genre fare go together just fine.
Growing up in the suburbs of Chicago in the late '70s, I watched Sladen, the plucky companion on 'Doctor Who,' not just help defeat all manner of aliens but also hold her own with two different incarnations of the Doctor, feisty specimens played by Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. She played the sidekick role with such unquenchable energy and undeniable fizz that Russell T Davies, who revived 'Doctor Who' several years ago, created a new spinoff, 'The Sarah Jane Adventures,' just for her.
"I absolutely loved Lis," Davies said in a statement from BBC America. "She was funny and cheeky and clever and just simply wonderful. The universe was lucky to have Sarah Jane Smith; the world was lucky to have Lis."
Hear that sound -- a nearly inaudible rumbling coming over the horizon? Everyday it is getting louder and louder. Soon, the stampede that is the return of scripted series back from the depths of the WGA strike will overrun our televisions and computer screens, bringing overwhelming joy to our lives.
Okay, that statement may be a little flowery, but the sentiment is still there. After a very long dry period a good many of our favorite comedies and dramas are returning to the television landscape. We've had a taste of it these last few weeks with the return of shows like The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Dirt, The Riches and Smallville. That was just a preview of what is to come. Over the next few weeks we will see the return of The Office, Scrubs, Ugly Betty, all of the CSIs, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost, among others.
Sarah Jane is aided by a small group of children in her quest. And while the series has a lower budget than Who and is geared more towards a children's audience, I still found it to be tremendously fun. And any opportunity to see K-9 is worth it in my book!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- September 2014: Don't Miss These 15 TV Shows and Events
- 'Extant' Episode 10 Photos: It's a New World
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Episode 6 Photos: Brooks & Tasos Arrive to Mix Things Up
- 'Project Runway' Season 13: Ranking the Looks of 'Rock the Wedding'
- Fall 2014 Calendar: 121 Premiere Dates
- More From BuddyTV
- TVLine Mixtape: Your Favorite Songs From Teen Wolf, True Blood, Finding Carter and More
- TVLine's Performer of the Week: Anna Paquin
- Outlander's Sam Heughan on Whether Jamie's the Man to Govern a Clan
- Report: Amazon to Revive The Tick, Starring Patrick Warburton
- Hotel Hell Sneak Peek: 'Everybody Thinks You're a Horrible [Bleep]'
- More From TVLine