November 20, 2014
by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 28th 2010 12:02PM
With the season coming to a close, the networks are starting to look toward next season. In the case of 'Criminal Minds,' that includes exploring the possibility of a spin-off series. They ran an embedded pilot for it earlier this season, introducing the new cast, and they've already had tremendous success with both 'NCIS' and 'CSI' spin-offs. But whatever happened to the old-school way of creating spin-offs?
'Frasier' was a long-time cast member on 'Cheers' before he headed off to Seattle and sitcom super-stardom. 'The Jeffersons' spent time living next to the Bunkers ('All in the Family') before moving on up. Even as recently as 'Friends,' they spun series co-star 'Joey' off into his own series -- maybe that's when it all went so wrong.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 10 'Supernatural' Characters Who Need to Return
- 'Arrow': 19 Moments of Obsession, Pain, Romance and Evil from 'Draw Back Your Bow'
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' Suspects: Who Killed Sam?
- [Video] 'Covert Affairs' Exclusive Clip: Joan and Ryan Team Up to Find Auggie
- 'Sons of Anarchy': 15 Devastating Moments for Jax in 'Suits of Woe'
- More From BuddyTV
- Better Call Saul Gets Two-Night February Premiere on AMC
- Parks and Rec: Rob Lowe, Rashida Jones Returning for Final Season
- New Girl Photos: Jess and Cece Throw Down, Nick Gets a New Bed Buddy
- HTGAWM's Tom Verica on Playing Dead, Kissing Bonnie and Snapping That Sexy, Shirtless Selfie
- Secrets and Lies First Look: ABC's New Ryan Phillippe Drama Unveils Killer Promo #WhoKilledTom
- More From TVLine
- 'The Graduate' Director Mike Nichols Passes Away at 83
- Rob Kardashian Is Selling Onesies Now
- Golden Retriever Epically Fails During Dog Show, Wins All Our Hearts in the Process
- Sean Hayes Marries Longtime Partner After 8 Years of Dating
- Whoopi Goldberg Breaks Down Sobbing Over Director Mike Nichols' Death
- More From ET