Harris was quick to point out that most people would recognize Mays as Emma, the guidance counselor on 'Glee,' but she has a fairly extensive resume of roles on high-profile TV shows like 'Heroes,' 'Ugly Betty,' and even 'Joey,' which was one of her first roles.
Mays remembered having to learn a bit of Japanese for her role on 'Heroes,' although she couldn't reproduce her lines when called upon to do so. After giving it a try she said, "Oh, I don't know what I just said," she said. "I don't know. I think I ordered a Bento box. So if someone could bring that out, that'd be great."
Mays thought her small role on 'Joey' was her first role, but Harris and Kelly Ripa found visual evidence to the contrary, embarrassing Mays with a photo of her as a child dressed as 'Annie.'
She told the world that the women of animation aren't just vehicles for humor or straight characters to set up punchlines for the males on the paper. She helped us realize they have thoughts, feelings, emotions and yes, even urges that make them unique, infinitely interesting and utterly fascinating. They are, as Dr. Frasier Crane so eloquently put it, "like a fine wine: always intoxicated, ever surprising and only getting better with age."
And so, for the cause of gender equality and female empowerment, here are the ten cartoon chicks who should pose naked because it would be righteously awesome.
Raising the dead, robot/human relationships, melting families and naked tiger-like humanoids. By reading this list you probably think I'm talking about stuff that happens on shows like Battlestar Galactica, Lost and According to Jim. Obviously, you would be wrong...except for the According to Jim thing. No, all of these events took place in cartoons made in the 1980's.
Here's what I'm not so jazzed about. The movie is 3D CG-animated. What happened to regular animation? I just want my smurfs in regular 2D and only three-apples-tall (or however three-apples-tall translates onto a movie screen). What do you readers think? Am I being too old-fashioned in saying this creative move will jeopardize the soul of the Smurfs? Well, maybe that was harsh. Anyway, check it out for yourself. If you'd like to see some production stills, click here.
To enter, simply leave a comment below before 5:00PM Eastern, Friday, February 15, simply telling us who your favorite Smurf is. As always, we'll randomly choose three winners amongst the eligible entries. Some other details:
- To enter, leave a confirmed comment below stating who your favorite Smurf is.
- The comment must be left before February 15, 2008 at 5:00PM Eastern Time.
- You may enter only once.
- Three winners will be selected in a random drawing.
- Three winners will receive a copy of The Smurfs season one, volume one on DVD (valued at $26.99).
I certainly have. I love those little forest imps (only three apples tall) and their awesome smurfin' singing. I can hear it now. LA LA La la la laaa... And now you probably will have it in your head for the rest of the day. Sorry about that.
If you want to learn more about The Smurfs, check out the video after the jump. It explains how Peyo, the Belgian cartoonist, discovered the word that made him a legend and other smurfin' good facts.
Choke on hot blue nostalgia, Generation X.
The Smurfs, that popular animated program I and many of my friends watched religiously as children of the '80s, is finally coming out on DVD. The Smurfs: Season One, Volume One is a two-disc set including the first nineteen episodes of the first season, along with "The Smurfs Springtime Special" and "Smurfs: The Music Video." The set comes out December 4.
Today on TV Squad Daily:
- Whoa! Paris Hilton just lost 60 million dollars in inheritance?
- Television cartoons from the 80's are making a comeback.
- I had almost forgotten completely about them, but then Trista and Ryan had a baby, just in the nick of time.
Every so often I'll stumble upon something on the Web I think is totally the bees' knees, but then my excitement is met with total indifference by the folks who read this blog.
So who knows what y'all will think of it, but Way Out Junk is the coolest blog I've seen in some time. It's a collection of albums, many based on television, that are out of print. The blog allows you to download free MP3s, almost all of them transferred from the original vinyl albums.
So, you're now in that limbo period between the parade and Thanksgiving dinner where there isn't really much to do (well, except watch football. Blech!). So, you need something to occupy your time before you dig into that turkey with all of the trimmings. Boy, do I have that something for you!
Our friend iZ Reloaded (not his real name, I'm pretty sure) has compiled an extensive list of 1980's cartoon introductions that you can find on YouTube. There are seventy-five listed and they run the gamut, from Saturday morning fare like Pac-Man, Smurfs, and Dungeons and Dragons to syndicated classics like G.I. Joe, Transformers, He-Man and My Little Pony. Also included are intros to cartoons that I barely remember or never even saw, such as Potato Head Kids, Starcom and The Raccoons.
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Best 'Glee' Quotes from 'The Hurt Locker, Part 2'
- 'NCIS' Episode 12.14 Photos: A Case Causes Tony to Flashback to His Days in Military School
- 'Grey's Anatomy': The 15 Most Bizarre Medical Cases
- 'Reign' Episode 2.13 Photos: Will Mary and Francis Reunite at the Winter's Ease Feast?
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 5 Photos
- More From BuddyTV
- Performer of the Week: Kerry Washington
- TVLine Mixtape, Parenthood Edition: Your Fave Songs From All 6 Seasons
- Ratings: Shark Tank Slips, Dixie Drops, CBS and NBC Dramas Tick Down
- Pilots: CBS Adds David Shore/Bryan Cranston Drama, James Patterson Riff
- Pilots: ABC Orders Comedies About Johnny Knoxville, NBA Odd Couple, Genius Kids, Plus 4 Others
- More From TVLine
- These 15 Seconds of Neil Patrick Harris Will Make You Excited for His Variety Show
- Val Kilmer Undergoes Medical Tests, Refutes Rumors of Throat Tumor
- Bobbi Kristina Brown's Bathtub Incident Is ‘No Coincidence,' Source Says
- Jay Z Is Buying Aspiro for How Much?
- Report: Whitney Houston's Daughter Found Unresponsive In Bathtub
- More From ET