If the 1960s was a decade of birth for Filmation, the 1970s was a time where it skipped childhood and moved straight into the role of responsible adult. With somewhere in the area of 30 programs airing during that decade, the team of Lou Scheimer, Hal Sutherland and Norm Prescott became big players on Saturday mornings. Not only that, but the trio helped usher in a number of genres that would become staples for both their own productions and those of the other studios as well.
If that weren't enough, the 1970s saw Filmation dabble into something that had come and gone on the Saturday morning schedule since the 1960s: live-action series. Combining comedy, drama and special effects, the studio produced an number of shows that provided a lot less cheese than the live-action series of, say, Sid & Marty Kroftt.
I'd have to say I barely remember this show. It's one of those times where I actually remember the title more than the show itself. It had something to do with outer space.
BCI Eclipse has announced that they are going to release a complete DVD set for the 70s CBS Saturday morning kids series Jason of Star Command. The show starred James Doohan, Susan Pratt, Sid Haig, Charlie Dell, and Craig Littler as the title character. It lasted two years.
Here are the new TV on DVD releases, in stores tomorrow.
- 24 - First four episodes of Season 6
- Allo' Allo' ! - Season 6
- Doctor Who - Season 2
- King of Queens - Season 7
- My Hero - Season 1
- Proof - Season 1
- Rising Damp - Season 3
- Royle Family - Season 1
- Space Academy - Complete Series
- The $treet - Season 1
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- Jennifer Lawrence Calls Screaming Match With David O. Russell 'Tabloid Malarkey'
- Kid Rock Bashes Beyoncé, Feels Wrath of Beyhive
- Found! Lupita Nyong'o's Stolen $150K Oscar Gown Returned to Scene of the Crime
- 'Looking' Cast Reveal Whether They Have More Sex Than Their Character
- Ronda Rousey On Her Big UFC Fight and Making 'Furious 7' With Paul Walker
- More From ET