TV actor and comedian George Lopez has been tapped to provide the voice for the beloved Speedy Gonzales in a new big screen movie adaptation of the beloved Warner Brothers 'Looney Tunes' franchise.
Now I understand that big names bring big bucks to the box office, but this really the first time in my mind that a famous Looney Tunes character is being re-voiced by a star instead of a trained voice actor who can mimic the immortal voice of the late Mel Blanc. Voice actor Billy West, an outspoken critic of celebrity voice over characters, once described it in an earlier interview I did with him for Arriviste Press magazine as "most artless, bloodless, Godless idea I've ever heard."
As we all know, Cinco de Mayo is that special day when people everywhere ask their Mexican friends what the hell "Cinco de Mayo" is, to which the answer is always, "Why are you asking me? I'm Puerto Rican." Anyway, I thought today was as good a day as any to honor our favorite "Mexican" cartoon characters. You know, as much as a cartoon character can have a nationality, since cartoon logic dictates that any character drawn with a sombrero on their head automatically becomes Mexican. Anyway, here's my shout out to those zany, albeit sometimes stereotypical, animated creatures who gave us a taste of what life was like south of the cartoon border. What, you may ask, does any of this have to do with Mexican forces defeating the French army in 1862? Absolutely nothing.
Let's get animate:
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Glee' Episodes 6.3 and 6.4 Photos: A Love Triangle for Kurt
- 'Glee' Season 6 Premiere Photos: Everyone Comes Back to McKinley
- 10 Unforgettable Moments from 'The Amazing Race' Season 25
- Steroline: 9 Pivotal Moments of Stefan and Caroline's Relationship on 'The Vampire Diaries'
- 'Revenge' Episode 4.11 Photos: Will Grief Unite Emily and Victoria?
- More From BuddyTV
- Amy Adams Hosts SNL: Watch Video of Best and Worst Sketches
- Kevin Hart Hosting First SNL of 2015
- TVLine's Performers of the Week: Laurie Metcalf and Stephen Colbert
- Ratings: Amazing Race Ticks Up With Finale, Splits 3-Way Demo Win
- Mysteries of Laura Adds Boardwalk Alum Meg Steedle as Series Regular
- More From TVLine