After nearly 12 years on the air, 'The View' has become one of daytime television's lightning rod shows, spawning feuds (both on-air and off), controversy and enough revolving hosts to rival 'Saturday Night Live.'
But how well do you really know the ladies of 'The View'?
Take our quiz to test your knowledge on some of the show's hottest topics.
Any day you tune in to 'The View' -- a Daytime Emmy nominee for Best Talk Show and Best Talk Show Host -- is a day you might see spectacular drama.
Things have calmed down since Rosie O'Donnell disengaged from battle and Star Jones was cut loose.
Still, we remember the co-host shouting matches, the drunken guests, the footballs to the nose... and they're all on our list of the most outrageous 'View' moments ever.
On Friday, May 30, the experimental episode will show how The View is made, by lifting the curtain so you can see how the magic happens. They've chosen to show the upside down, backstage View on that Friday - and don't worry about marking it in your calendar. You can expect plenty of reminders from Barbara Walters (if she's there), Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Sherri Shepherd. With all that behind the scenes footage, only half of the show as seen originally -- from the camera's point of view -- will be seen.
Mark your calendars kids, or not, Meredith Vieira is heading back to The View, for one day anyway, on October 8th. She'll be there to promote her Who Wants To Be A Millionaire game show and a DVD game that is coming out based on the show. I always seem to forget that she even does that because, man, I just don't get the attraction to Millionaire. It's just so dang slow. How that show made it while Beat The Geeks disappeared just boggles me.
Anyway, I suspect it will be all warm and fuzzy with a lot of palms getting sore as the whole group pats each other on the back for all the wonderfulness they are all putting out in the world, or something like that. An entirely different vibe than what we would get if this headline was Rosie returning to the view. Or even Star Jones, for that matter.
- At 8, preseason football. FOX has the Vikings vs. the Jets while ABC in Boston has the Patriots vs. the Titans (everyone else will see Set For Life).
- The CW has a new Friday Night Smackdown! at 8.
- ESPN has coverage of the Little League World Series at 8, while ESPN2 has coverage of the Western & Southern Financial tennis tournament.
- Noggin has a new South of Nowhere at 8.
- Also at 8: Sci-Fi has a new Doctor Who, followed by new episodes of Flash Gordon and Painkiller Jane.
- At 9, Star Jones is the guest on CNN's Larry King Live.
- Discovery has a new Survivorman at 9.
- USA has a new Monk at 9, then a new Psych.
- At 10, E! has a new episode of The Soup.
Check your local TV listings for more.
Jones lost 160 pounds over three years. She says she didn't announce she had gastric bypass surgery because she felt ashamed that she couldn't lose the weight on her own. I can understand that, but she went as far as to lie about it and give people false hope that they, too, could control their problem with over-eating. I'm surprised she's not writing a book about it to make money off her weight loss. Does anybody else think she's just a bad person?
So, there. The world's biggest mystery is solved.
Welcome to TV Squad Lists, a feature where each blogger has a chance to list his or her own rundown of things in television that stand out from the rest, both good and bad.
Well, unless you've been residing beneath a naturally occurring aggregate of minerals and/or mineraloids (in other words, living under a rock) you probably know that Rosie O'Donnell is leaving ABC's The View after a very boring, non-controversial year. Naturally, the producers will need to fill that empty chair with someone that may or may not be as, er, enthusiastic as Rosie was. So, please indulge me as I present my five suggestions on who should replace Rosie on The View.
Star Jones -- Sure, why the hell not? Really, this could be some good television. Star would come back, Barbara, Joy and Elisabeth would fawn all over her saying that they were wrong to let her go, and everyone would be the best of buds. But, that's not the good television. That would come about 10 minutes later when all of the sweetness wore off and Star began to tell her 'friends' off on how badly they treated her. I'm sure there would be plenty 'I told you so's' sprinkled throughout that first day she's back at work. The tension would be so great it would probably pulse out of your television. Now, THAT's good television!
Here's something from the "I'd take that job as only a last resort" category: Star Jones is looking for an executive producer for her Court TV show.
While the position has all of the usual requirements for an executive producer gig, including the management of talent and staff, several years experience, and a big list of contacts, it also says that whoever gets the job will have to "oversee administrative functions like human resource issues, deal with Turner's legal department when necessary, and supervise budget allocations." Wow, doesn't that sound like fun?
But you're going to be working with Star Jones, which basically means puppies and rainbows all day, so if you want to apply for the job click on the link above.
Court TV is not only changing its name, it's going to change the programming as well.
The network has announced that the network will have a new name starting on January 1, 2008. No decision has been reached yet on what the new name will be, but the network will introduce a ton of new reality shows. Oh, sorry, they're not "reality" shows, they're "real-life series" watched by "engagers."
Among the new shows: Tiger Team, about security experts; The Real Hustle, about con artists and scams, and The Room, which will focus on police interrogations. They are also developing a series of shows with The Smoking Gun web site. As for Nancy Grace (she's the one smiling on the right), she'll be part of the new daytime lineup, but her show will be shortened a bit to make room for the new show from Star Jones.
Wow, Nancy Grace and Star Jones on the same channel during the day. Enjoy!
Gossip Janet Charleton - who broke the news of Kathy Griffin's divorce from husband Matt - is saying that The View has already chosen a replacement for Star Jones regardless of the on air auditions (including Kellie Pickler!) they're currently doing.
Charleton says she was told by a network leak (I had one of those once - it was very painful) that the new host was chosen months ago. Her name is Bo Griffin, the so-called "Oprah of Radio." What does that mean? Does it mean she's black? Is sometimes fat, sometimes thin? Gives away cars to listeners? She's also been a host on Good Day Live and appeared on other TV and radio shows.
No official word from ABC yet.
[via TV Tattle]
I mean this has to be a late (or very early) April Fool's Day joke, right? They can't be doing this tonight, can they?
Tonight, CNN is rerunning, again, the Larry King Live interview with Star Jones. This is at least the fourth time they've run it in the past 6 or 7 days. I think it might even be more.
What is going on? Seriously, am I going to have to start watching Hannity and Colmes at 9 every night? And I don't care if it is the Fourth of July and King is probably off tonight, there's no excuse why CNN should run this yet again. They got a lot of bad press for running this so much, and it would be so easy to just decide not to run it again, get some credibility back. But I guess the powers that be don't have that judgement cell in their head.
Oh, and they are going to run the interview again, at 3am tomorrow morning.
Do you think Brandy would be a good person to fill Star Jones' suspiciously fast-shrinking shoes?
- "We're gonna do what every kid your age likes to do - look at bread!" - Ned, to his sons, after they asked what they were going to do today, on The Simpsons.
- "And the chapters are only a couple of pages long so you feel really smart reading it." - Lois, to Stewie, about the women's book she's reading, on Family Guy.
- "Her forehead is growing. She's up to a fivehead now." - Michael Musto, about Nicole Kidman, on Countdown With Keith Olbermann.
- "CNN: The Most Trusted Name In AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" - Jon Stewart, after showing a story about what would happen if a barge blew up in Boston, on The Daily Show.
- "You're about to become the main character in somebody's worst day ever." - Deputy Chief Brenda Johnson, counseling Detective Gabriel about telling parents that their son was killed, on The Closer.
- "I hope you'll stay with us as long as you want." - Barbara Walters, to Star Jones, on the day Jones announced she was leaving The View.
- "Regrettably, Star will no longer be on this program." - Barbara Walters, the next day.
Barbara Walters is pissed off at Star Jones. Star's surprise announcement yesterday that she's leaving The View wasn't supposed to come until Thursday. At least, that was the plan as Barbara knew it. She was in shock (as were the other gals) when Star opened her big, fat mouth yesterday. Barbara tells the Associated Press that she was even more surprised to hear about the article in People magazine where Star says she feels as though she was fired from The View. It turns out, she was! According to Walters, Star's contract wasn't renewed early this year because viewers don't like her, her dramatic weight loss (somethin' aint' right about it) and her creepy husband. Barbara wasn't going to reveal any of that information but apparently changed her mind after Star's announcement yesterday. Walters said, "I love Star and I was trying to do everything I possibly could -- up until this morning when I was betrayed -- to protect her."
I never thought I'd say this, but I'm watching The View today. I'm hoping for one or more of the following outcomes: a) Barbara makes Star cry, b) Barbara makes Star march off-stage, or c) all-out bitch-slapping, scratching, hair-pulling chick fight.
*UPDATE: Star is gone! Barbara Walters said on today's show that she is no longer on the program. What's better than kicking Star's ass? Taking her off television! Go Barbara!!!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'The Sing-Off': The AcoUstiKats twerk backstage before performances
- 'Psych: The Musical' was 'a Herculean task,' says James Roday
- TV Snacks: 'How I Met Your Mother' fave returns, 'Happy Endings' on VH1
- 'Sean Saves the World' sets 'Will & Grace' reunion with Megan Mullally guest appearance
- 'Doctor Who': Peter Capaldi's Doctor costume a mix of 'old-fashioned' and the future
- More From Zap2it
- Law & Order Vet Dann Florek to Exit SVU
- Tomorrow People's Mark Pellegrino Talks Protecting John, Obeying The Founder and More
- Exclusive: Will & Grace Reunion on Sean Saves the World, Megan Mullally to Play Sean's [Spoiler]
- TVLine Items: Gossip Guy Is NBC's Tin Man, Mom Casts Dad, Happy Endings' New Home and More
- Exclusive Parenthood First Look: Crosby Drops Some Slutty-But-Soulful Knowledge on Drew
- More From TVLine