To submit questions to the "Ask TV Squad" column, you can post them below in comments or email them to email@example.com.
This week, I follow up on the last "Ask TV Squad" about TV shows on DVD and answer a question about which TV DVDs you should own.
After Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin's 1994 feature film from MGM, the series' first TV adaption (SG1) arrived in 1997. When you throw in the follow-up series, Infinity and Atlantis, the Stargate franchise has run on TV in one form or another for more than 12 years.
When the time came to invent the next step in the franchise, show-runners Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper could have trotted out more of the same and done perfectly well. Instead, they upped the ante -- bringing a bigger budget and updated production techniques to Stargate Universe.
MGM and Syfy welcomed journalists to Vancouver's Bridge Studios to explore the show's starship Destiny set and discover how this series cruises beyond its successful predecessors.
He's played a 50s rocker, a lot of cops, a federal agent, Native Americans, a gunslinger, and the list goes on and on. Following a film and television career that has spanned over 20 years, Lou Diamond Phillips has become a familiar face. Now, he stands on the verge of nerd superstardom when he takes the role of Colonel David Telford on 'Stargate: Universe', the latest incarnation of the 'Stargate' franchise.
AOL TV Canada spoke with Phillips about his lengthy career, his foray into the world of sci-fi, and his intergalactic sex scene.
"We're just waiting for the right opportunity. We want to be successful with it. The studio wants to be successful, and we really don't want to proceed with something in the wrong climate, which I think financially it is right now," Cooper told Sci Fi Wire.
I'm looking forward to Stargate Universe, but I'd love to see the franchise continue releasing DVD movies every few years. Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum were great and they sold well on DVD, but projected DVD sales for new projects aren't looking good these days.
I was never a big SG-1 fan, but I'll be popping in and out of the marathon to catch some of the series' more popular eps. Hopefully, Syfy will do fans a solid by capping off the marathon with Stargate Continuum, last year's excellent Stargate DVD movie.
Deluise died last night in Los Angeles. He was 75.
Some fans aren't too thrilled about this new approach to the Stargate franchise, which will reportedly feature more character-driven drama versus action-adventure romps, a darker tone, a few younger characters, and at least one gay character.
I don't get the skepticism. I'm really looking forward to the show. Actually, I can't wait to watch the franchise try to evolve from fun, lighthearted adventure to a dark sci-fi drama. I'm not saying it'll be any good – I'm just curious.
Months ago, consulting producer Joe Mallozzi compared SGU to Battlestar Galactica and Lost. Now, show creator Robert C. Cooper is saying SGU is somewhat inspired by another great sci-fi show – Joss Whedon's Firefly.
Shanks' appearance will be a one-time cameo, according to consulting producer Joseph Mallozzi. Anderson, however, will make multiple guest appearances in Universe in addition to showing up in the two-hour premiere. The actor said he would make "slim appearances" in the first "half dozen" episodes or so.
I should be happy when there are a ton of new DVDs but nothing I want to buy, because I'll save some money. But this has been happening a lot lately. I mean, there must be something being released soon that I must own. I might have to get the Return of the Man From U.N.C.L.E. movie if it wasn't included in the complete series set I have.
Kinda amazed that My Two Dads has been released on DVD, though I shouldn't be because it seems like a lot of shows are making their way to DVD now. It makes me hopeful that other sitcoms from that era will be released too.
- 7th Heaven - Season 8
- Chowder - Vol. 2
- Doctor Who - The Androids of Tara, Key To Time, The Armageddon Factor, The Power of Kroll, The Pirate Planet, The Stones of Blood, and The Ribos Operation (all Special Editions)
How can there be so many DVDs released in one day and there not be one that I want to buy? I never got into Stargate, I don't want to own Dallas on DVD, ditto Reba, and I refuse to buy Walker Texas Ranger because a.) it's not very good, and b.) it replaced a show that I really loved in the early 90s. I enjoyed Benny Hill, but I don't know if I enjoyed it enough to own it. So it looks like I'm going to save some money this week.
Yeah, right. Like I won't find something to buy that was released a while ago.
- Alvin & The Chipmunks - The Chipettes
- Ben 10 Alien Force - Season 1, Vol. 2
- The Benny Hill Show - Best of the Early Years
- Captain and the Kings - Miniseries
- Dallas - Season 10
- House of Payne - Vol. 3
Carlyle will play Dr. David Rush, leader of a group of scientists and civilians trapped on a ship traveling through space. Word is that Dr. Rush, charged with finding a way to return his crew home, might not be the nice guy everyone thinks he is.
Here are the new TV DVDs, in stores tomorrow.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender - Book 3, Vol. 4
- Beverly Hills, 90210 - Season 5
- Centennial - Complete Mini-Series
- Dark Shadows - The Beginning, Vol. 5
- Freakazoid - Season 1
- Girlfriends - Season 4
- The Hills - Season 3
- Inu Yasha - Season 5
- Law and Order: SVU - Season 7
- Masters of Horror - Season 2 (Collectible Skull Set)
- Naruto The Movie 2 - Legend of the Stone of Gelel
- Robin of Sherwood - Complete Collection
- Stargate SG-1 - Continuum
- Tiny Toon Adventures - Season 1, Vol. 1
- Two Fat Ladies - Two Fat Ladies
- Witchblade - Complete Series
- The Wizards of Waverly Place - Wizard School
A roundup of TV people from in front of the camera and behind the scenes who have passed away.
- Don S. Davis: The veteran actor appeared on numerous TV shows over the past 25 years, including Stargate SG-1 (he played Major General George Hammond), Twin Peaks, The X-Files, The Dead Zone, Psych, Highlander, Supernatural, Flash Gordon, The West Wing, NCIS, The Chris Isaak Show, Profit, M.A.N.T.I.S., MacGyver (also serving as Dana Elcar's body double), L.A. Law, Joanie Loves Chachi, and many others. He also appeared in dozens of movies, including A League of Their Own, Con Air, Miracle, The 6th Day, Hook, The Fan, and Best In Show. He died this week at age 65.
While chatting with Maureen Ryan of the Chicago Tribune, creator Matt Nix was talking about the new season of Burn Notice -- more on that below -- when he casually mentioned Bruce Campbell was hurt on the set. "He actually just pulled his hamstring doing a stunt, I just got a call, he's on the way to the hospital."
So let's say you had an extra $900 lying around and you really loved science fiction shows. What DVDs would you buy?
Amazon is making your decision a little bit easier for you. They have a special bundle for sale, nine different FOX/MGM shows at 49% off. OK, it's still a little pricey at $900 (you could probably put that money toward your rent), but look at what you get: the Buffy, The Vampire Slayer Collector's Set, The Angel Collector's Set, The X-Files Ultimate Collection, all ten Stargate: SG-1 seasons and all three Stargate Atlantis seasons, all four seasons of The Pretender (plus the movies), all three seasons of Roswell, both seasons of Dark Angel, and Firefly: The Complete Series. Holy crap!
TV Squad Hot Topics
Most Popular Articles
From Our Partners
- 'Penny Dreadful': Which Characters Will Be Back for Season 3?
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Watch 'Chasing Life' Season 2
- 'The Bachelorette' Prediction: Who Will Be Sent Home Week 8?
- Claudia Jordan on Being Fired on 'RHOA': 'It's Not Over Until the Fat Lady Sings'
- 'RHOA' Star Cynthia Bailey: 'The Show Has Never Been About One Person'
- More From BuddyTV
- Supernatural Season 11: The Darkness Invades! — What Happens Next?
- TNT's Public Morals Trailer: Ed Burns Is a Morally Casual Cop in '60s Drama
- The Good Wife Season 7: Makenzie Vega No Longer a Series Regular
- Good Wife Retains Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Season 7 Regular — Is He (Finally) the One for Alicia?
- Guardians of the Galaxy Series Gets Premiere Date, Explosive New Poster
- More From TVLine
- Malia Obama Reportedly Interning for Lena Dunham on 'Girls'
- Hillary Clinton Sent This Heartfelt Message to a Gay Teen After a Photo of Him Crying Went Viral
- Elizabeth Olsen Suffers a Windy Wardrobe Malfunction
- EXCLUSIVE: A Somber Ben Affleck Returns Alone After Bahamas Trip With Jennifer Garner
- 'Chasing Life' Star Italia Ricci Found Her Real-Life Wedding Dress While Filming Season 2!
- More From ET